Where are we getting our Recruits from in 2014? 22 Picks - 14 States Wow!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Kind of good news bad news. Mostly good news because of the talent and additional Bama press but love in-state and border state players who know SEC and Bama history and rivalries.

Having players come from all over can make the team unity a little tougher to build.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
LA had a large and high caliber class this year. Not super suprised. I do like that we can cherry pick out of any state we like.
I agree to a degree. You always have to have talent to win game but sometimes when guys don't have that emotional attachment to a program it means something. I know not every player that grows up wanting to wear crimson can but you do need those players. I believe those guys can be the thread that keeps teams together.

I meant to reply to the post before mine.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Kind of good news bad news. Mostly good news because of the talent and additional Bama press but love in-state and border state players who know SEC and Bama history and rivalries.

Having players come from all over can make the team unity a little tougher to build.
I agree to a degree. You always have to have talent to win game but sometimes when guys don't have that emotional attachment to a program it means something. I know not every player that grows up wanting to wear crimson can but you do need those players. I believe those guys can be the thread that keeps teams together.

I meant to reply to the post before mine.
I agree with both of you. Yes, we obviously want very talented players, but when they come from all over, it can be hard to build a team because they often seem like mercenaries who mainly focus on themselves. Don't get me wrong, I think these kids should do everything in their power to prepare for and take care of their futures. However, having some of those guys who understand what Alabama football means in this part of the country can go a long way to finding that one heartbeat that coaches would love to have with every team. Some teams come together and find it, but many never do. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that some of you had similar thoughts about these things. Do either of you think it sometimes works in the opposite way? What I mean is, do you think that some of these guys know about the Alabama name, and they grow to love what it represents once they get here?

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
... Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that some of you had similar thoughts about these things. Do either of you think it sometimes works in the opposite way? What I mean is, do you think that some of these guys know about the Alabama name, and they grow to love what it represents once they get here?
So much depends on the individual players and coaches; yes, I think some players really embrace the University and Alabama football and also have a respect of the history from the start. Also, some local players can have thier own issues with interference from local friends ,family, and high school coaches

Having players from so many locations will make things interesting. Coach Saban and staff can handle it. Friendships will form and hopefully leaders will sprout from the group.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So much depends on the individual players and coaches; yes, I think some players really embrace the University and Alabama football and also have a respect of the history from the start. Also, some local players can have thier own issues with interference from local friends ,family, and high school coaches

Having players from so many locations will make things interesting. Coach Saban and staff can handle it. Friendships will form and hopefully leaders will sprout from the group.
I think that is true to an extent. I also think that it helps enormously to have a core of kids who grew up in Alabama, worshiping the Crimson Tide. I'm not sure that we have that core now. I'm friends with some former players, from Alabama, and some of them are concerned over just this point - that too many on the roster are just not that invested in Bama football. Quite a few are and fall in love with Bama, but it seems that a good many do not...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.