JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have to admit I am a little perplexed and slightly troubled by how events played out.

I've been pretty confident that Saban won't leave Alabama to coach elsewhere, I felt like if he leave abruptly, he would retire, for instance if he won three in a row at Alabama, then I could see the allure to going out on top. If anything though, I felt like the loss to Auburn should cement his position at Alabama, he's no Urban Meyer, he doesn't seem like the type to run from difficulty.

When I heard that there he was on the verge of a new deal, and one that apparently had him coaching through the end of the decade I was a bit surprised. I never really saw him going past about 5 more years. But, hey, I'll take it. Then, instead of seeing an announcement that Saban signed an extension, we hear that Gus signed an extension. Considering both have the same agent, and both names have been attached as top targets for the Texas job, it reeks of Sexton's influence.

He manages to play up Texas' interest in Gus to get a substantial raise, and then from what I can tell the Saban deal hasn't been signed. I'm not trying to start a rumor in that regard, I just don't see any indication it has been, so what now? Part of the problem is I don't trust Bill Battle, his recommendations for the playoff committee were horrible (worse than the ones the SEC actually got, which hardly favored Alabama), and I'm not really sure if he's doing what he should be doing right now. Right now, he should be writing 0s on a piece of paper until Nick tells him to stop, and for good measure he should ask if there's anything else he wants.

If I was to speculate, I'd say Alabama (Battle) got played. Sexton got a raise for Gus, and he got more leverage (via an offer from Alabama, and Gus being taken off the market) he can use if he wants to have a bidding war between Alabama and Texas. We should have been hearing Saban signed a deal and more rumors about Gus, but somehow that got flipped around.

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
What has changed in the the last 24 hours that shakes anyone's confidence in a deal being reached with the University and Coach Saban?
Just guessing, so this is nothing to take as gospel, but Gary Kubiak got fired, and perhaps Mack Brown will be fired or forced to resign. I'm on the outside looking in, though. I have no reason to think that he wont' be on our sidelines next season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Thank you for helping make my point. I would love for Earl to explain his decline in confidence that Saban and Alabama will reach a contractual agreement. I would love to know. BTW - 4-months on this board equals 47 years of loving the Crimson Tide.
Here's the thing, when you have sources you don't out your sources or you don't have sources anymore.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Just guessing, so this is nothing to take as gospel, but Gary Kubiak got fired, and perhaps Mack Brown will be fired or forced to resign. I'm on the outside looking in, though. I have no reason to think that he wont' be on our sidelines next season.
Well, what does one have to do with the other? Lovey Smith will probably be the next Texans coach but what does that have to do with Texas who still has a coach?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well, what does one have to do with the other? Lovey Smith will probably be the next Texans coach but what does that have to do with Texas who still has a coach?
Actually Mike Shannahan will probably Houston's next coach, but like I said. There's nothing from where I sit that makes me believe that he won't be our coach for the remainder of his contract.

Point I was making is that more jobs became available (as they always do around this time of year). So that's what's keeping the rumors going, regardless of where they're originating.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
I don't trust B.Battle either. He makes me uneasy.
I have to admit I am a little perplexed and slightly troubled by how events played out.

I've been pretty confident that Saban won't leave Alabama to coach elsewhere, I felt like if he leave abruptly, he would retire, for instance if he won three in a row at Alabama, then I could see the allure to going out on top. If anything though, I felt like the loss to Auburn should cement his position at Alabama, he's no Urban Meyer, he doesn't seem like the type to run from difficulty.

When I heard that there he was on the verge of a new deal, and one that apparently had him coaching through the end of the decade I was a bit surprised. I never really saw him going past about 5 more years. But, hey, I'll take it. Then, instead of seeing an announcement that Saban signed an extension, we hear that Gus signed an extension. Considering both have the same agent, and both names have been attached as top targets for the Texas job, it reeks of Sexton's influence.

He manages to play up Texas' interest in Gus to get a substantial raise, and then from what I can tell the Saban deal hasn't been signed. I'm not trying to start a rumor in that regard, I just don't see any indication it has been, so what now? Part of the problem is I don't trust Bill Battle, his recommendations for the SEC Committee were horrible (worse than the ones the SEC actually got, which hardly favored Alabama), and I'm not really sure if he's doing what he should be doing right now. Right now, he should be writing 0s on a piece of paper until Nick tells him to stop, and for good measure he should ask if there's anything else he wants.

If I was to speculate, I'd say Alabama (Battle) got played. Sexton got a raise for Gus, and he got more leverage (via an offer from Alabama, and Gus being taken off the market) he can use if he wants to have a bidding war between Alabama and Texas. We should have been hearing Saban signed a deal and more rumors about Gus, but somehow that got flipped around.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

He manages to play up Texas' interest in Gus to get a substantial raise, and then from what I can tell the Saban deal hasn't been signed. I'm not trying to start a rumor in that regard, I just don't see any indication it has been, so what now? Part of the problem is I don't trust Bill Battle, his recommendations for the playoff committee were horrible (worse than the ones the SEC actually got, which hardly favored Alabama), and I'm not really sure if he's doing what he should be doing right now. Right now, he should be writing 0s on a piece of paper until Nick tells him to stop, and for good measure he should ask if there's anything else he wants.

I've vehemently disagreed with you on a handful of matters, but damned if that's not a sharp observation.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I've vehemently disagreed with you on a handful of matters, but damned if that's not a sharp observation.
seems to me (at least using the occam's razor concept) that gus' raise could have just a bit to do with the fact that they way outperformed based upon almost everyone's expectations

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I really don't understand why many of you just can't take CNS (and his wife) at his word. My God... It's not like his current contract has expired and if a new one is announced by midnight he's gone.

I guess some of you are like my mother and just have to have something worry about.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
seems to me (at least using the occam's razor concept) that gus' raise could have just a bit to do with the fact that they way outperformed based upon almost everyone's expectations
Also, maybe, just maybe, Gus actually likes coaching at Auburn and has no desire to coach at Texas.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I honestly do not think Saban would try to play us, Sexton maybe, but I just don't think he will. If something is going on, he may have a hard offer on the table from UTw and is considering his options or it could be a bidding war. I hope he stays, but he has always had wanderlust. He clearly enjoys building more maintaining.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I really don't understand why many of you just can't take CNS (and his wife) at his word. My God... It's not like his current contract has expired and if a new one is announced by midnight he's gone.

I guess some of you are like my mother and just have to have something worry about.
There is genuine reason for concern...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I was surprised and mildly disappointed at Battle's hire, but then thought maybe I was nervous over nothing. Then I heard his committee recommendations, his comments earlier this year basically condoning poor game attendance, and now rumblings of Saban leaving? If Saban leaves even indirectly because of Battle, Bill should be fired on the spot.

Earle, would Battle's influence have anything to do with this, um, uneasiness?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was surprised and mildly disappointed at Battle's hire, but then thought maybe I was nervous over nothing. Then I heard his committee recommendations, his comments earlier this year basically condoning poor game attendance, and now rumblings of Saban leaving? If Saban leaves even indirectly because of Battle, Bill should be fired on the spot.
It really won't have anything to do with Battle, although Mal and Saban had a special relationship...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.