"Muschamp would take Bama's spot in SEC title game"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Could you elaborate on what you think Saban is suggesting?
His quote: "It's not really a great scenario," Saban said. "You play your way into the (SEC) championship game, which means you're the best team in your division. ... It doesn't seem quite right, but it is what it is. I don't really know what me commenting about it is going to do to change it. But I don't feel good about it."

Saban says "You play your way into the (SEC) championship game, which means you're the best team in your division" when discussing his concerns. As this thread demonstrates, you can read all sorts of things into that quote, but taken at face value he is suggesting that the teams that win their respective divisions in the SEC should not lose out to a team that did not. I do like kayaker's interpretation, though. It makes more sense given what happened last year.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Georgia LY wouldn't have been playing in the BCSCG if they had won -- they would have gone to the Sugar Bowl if they won.....

What Coach is saying is that w/o a Championship Game -- one would have gone to the BCSCG the other would have gone to the Sugar Bowl.....

Playing the extra game shouldn't punish you if you lose.....by sending you to a lesser bowl

It's not comparable to last year......because the team left out of the SECCG isn't going to be in the Top 2 of the BCS -- they are #4......

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
His quote: "It's not really a great scenario," Saban said. "You play your way into the (SEC) championship game, which means you're the best team in your division. ... It doesn't seem quite right, but it is what it is. I don't really know what me commenting about it is going to do to change it. But I don't feel good about it."

Saban says "You play your way into the (SEC) championship game, which means you're the best team in your division" when discussing his concerns. As this thread demonstrates, you can read all sorts of things into that quote, but taken at face value he is suggesting that the teams that win their respective divisions in the SEC should not lose out to a team that did not. I do like kayaker's interpretation, though. It makes more sense given what happened last year.
We weren't the best team in the division last year -- but we were the 2nd best team in the country - per the BCS.....

so it's NOT comparable......Probation State Guy ;)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I love how people can't get the simple fact that Saban is complaining about the BCS only allowing two SEC teams in. That is ridiculous and he has a right to complain.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I don't get that if you play hard all year and work your way into the TOP 10 then you shouldn't be penalized for being in the wrong slot behind someone else or that cupcake U won their conference but happens to be #22 in the the Top 25 so they get rewarded above said team or teams in the top 10. I know, I know, "it's all about money and bowl matchups". I just think #3 vs #4 and #5vs#6 or even #5 vs #9 and #6 vs #8 would be a bigger pull and more fun to watch then some of the lame matchups they come up with.

Rant Off.... and btw, I think Saban is entitled to his opinion (which in my opinion in this case is not whining.)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

So how does that make him a hypocrite? We didn't displace the team that won our division last year, we played them in the BCSCG.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I love how people can't get the simple fact that Saban is complaining about the BCS only allowing two SEC teams in. That is ridiculous and he has a right to complain.
Yup, when six of the top10 BCS teams are SEC teams, it shows how ridiculous that rule is. The SEC should have anywhere from 4-6 teams in the BCS games.

"Everyone gets a trophy."

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I do think the BCS should allow more than 2 teams from a conference to be chosen for the big 5 bowls (or at least exclude national championship contenders from being one of the two).

The only problem I have with Florida going to the SB over the SECCG loser is that I don't think it should be pre-determined. If it's an at-large bid, the SB should be able to choose which team it wants to replace the SEC champion. If it wants Florida, great. If it wants the SECCG loser, great. Even if it wants Oregon, great. I just don't think that it should be set in stone that they get the bid.

If the SECCG was not for a slot in the NCG, would Florida still get an auto-bid for another BCS bowl, or would they still be at-large?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think Saban was just trying to compliment both teams in this game and nothing more. Muschamp saw a chance to get his name in the paper and took it.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
I think the discussion is an extension of the argument about whether or not a loss in the conference championship game should "count" when deciding the bowl games and/or BCS standings.

Last year, UCLA was 6-6 and played in the PAC12 championship game because USC was banned. UCLA lost, leaving them at 6-7 and forcing them to miss the bowl season, even though they would have gone to a bowl at 6-6 had USC not been on probation.

Georgia Tech is in the same situation this year playing in the ACC championship game because both UNC and Miami are not eligible.

This is a similar situation where either UGA or Bama will get penalized for playing in the SECCG rather than being rewarded for making it there in the first place.
UCLA didn't miss out on playing in a bowl game. They played against Illinois in that bowl game in San Francisco. Georgia Tech can ask the NCAA to waive the rule just like UCLA did.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I just love how people hate Nick Saban so much that they think he would complain about a situation that he benefited from just last year.

The hatred is so strong, so blinding, that they would take anything said without concern for context, to crucify him.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm sure Coach Saban was only reacting to an asked question and Coach Muschamp's comment was made in jest. These coaches are lifelong friends and probably have already chatted by phone over the whole deal.

In my opinion....any team that lost even one game during the season has to take ownership of that loss and where that left them post-season.

As far as why the Sugar Bowl would take Georgia over Florida....they would be taking a 2 loss team over a 1 loss team. If U.G.A. doesn't like it - they can do something about it on Saturday. I know Bama will.

I guess things will be different next year with the new 'playoff-type' system. I do appreciate there are so many S.E.C. teams in the top 10 this year....perhaps they will benefit by the new system next year..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just love how people hate Nick Saban so much that they think he would complain about a situation that he benefited from just last year.

The hatred is so strong, so blinding, that they would take anything said without concern for context, to crucify him.
I am a huge Saban fan but think his statement was absurd as stated. If he meant it to be interpreted as suggested on this board, he should have been a little more clear. He left himself open to this criticism.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I am a huge Saban fan but think his statement was absurd as stated. If he meant it to be interpreted as suggested on this board, he should have been a little more clear. He left himself open to this criticism.
I'm not talking about you, or any opposing team fans in this thread. You've talked about how you see his statements, but you're not dog cussing him like he's Satan's spawn. Some of these fans out there (and a lot of the media) simply love to hate him and there is nothing he can do about it. He could have elaborated completely on this statement but still would have been lambasted for it. It is what it is, I guess.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If only he had more important things to worry about other than how we might interpret what he said...

Does anyone remember the fuss about his tie a few years back?

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I agree that Saban should avoid any questions pertaining to division championships because it is nothing but a minefield. His statements will always be spun as either whining or hypocritical. It's a more complex situation than most fans care to discern, so there really is no upside in a coach addressing the situation in a soundbite world.

To be fair, I think that Spurrier was sort of unfairly accused of whining when he mentioned that the system of determining the SEC division winners might need to be tweaked.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.