Barkely announces he will stay for 2012 season at USC

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Washington
Oregon
Notre Dame (will more than likely be an underdog against ND)
Arizona State
California
Stanford
Certainly, even the best teams often don't go undefeated, but I only spot 1-2 teams on that list that seem at all threatening to USC. USC's talent has never really dipped, and other PAC 12 teams are losing stars this year.

Hawaii is another OOC foe of theirs, I know.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I believe Kiffin helped sell him on his decision to stay, but Barkely said a couple of weeks ago that his decision would be "all about him" and I think it is.
It's all about him campaigning for a heisman and Kiffen campaigning for a BCS championship.

Barkely was projected as the second QB in the draft. He can't improve his draft status too much, but it can certainly go down with a bad year or injury.

Like said above, 2012 is when the sanctions really start to make a difference.

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
Well, let's just assign the Heisman to him now, because he's gonna be pimped for it all offseason and next season by the media. :rolleyes:

FYI, that's not a slam on him. It's more of a slam on the media.

Last edited:
Good for him. Ive seen some stuff and heard him on the Dan Patrick show saying it was always his childhood dream to be the QB at USC. The NFL will be there, go have fun one more year in the greatest sport in the world. I dont understand people bashing him for this decision. I think a lot of times we as a fanbase dont think about a kid that grew up loving another school. If this were one of our own that grew up watching footage of all the great Bama QBs and was a sure fire 1st round pick, but when it came down to it, said he wanted to come back to try to win a NC, he would be loved to death. Good for ya Barkley, good for you.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
Good for him. Ive seen some stuff and heard him on the Dan Patrick show saying it was always his childhood dream to be the QB at USC. The NFL will be there, go have fun one more year in the greatest sport in the world. I dont understand people bashing him for this decision. I think a lot of times we as a fanbase dont think about a kid that grew up loving another school. If this were one of our own that grew up watching footage of all the great Bama QBs and was a sure fire 1st round pick, but when it came down to it, said he wanted to come back to try to win a NC, he would be loved to death. Good for ya Barkley, good for you.
Not to derail the thread but after seeing your name it's got me wanting some oysters LOL used to be a great place we used to go with my grandfather and dad in chancellor called Judge's wonder if it's still around.

Back on topic I remember earlier in the year before a game they where showing old films of him dressed in a USC helmet and later in his child again saying he was going to be the starting QB for USC .. so it probably was.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Well, let's just assign the Heisman to him now, because he's gonna be pimped for it all offseason and next season by the media. :rolleyes:

FYI, that's not a slam on him. It's more of a slam on the media.
That happens every year, but when was the last time that player actually won? Reggie Bush in 2005?

abc12

Dec 8, 2011
I believe Kiffin helped sell him on his decision to stay, but Barkely said a couple of weeks ago that his decision would be "all about him" and I think it is.
It's all about him campaigning for a heisman and Kiffen campaigning for a BCS championship.

Barkely was projected as the second QB in the draft. He can't improve his draft status too much, but it can certainly go down with a bad year or injury.

Like said above, 2012 is when the sanctions really start to make a difference.

I agree with you. Barkley was going to be the second quarterback chosen. I also believe he would have been a top 10. He has an opportunity to earn enough money to take care of himself for the rest of his life. He also has the potential to destroy a shoulder by playing in one more game.....collegiate or professional.

In fact, I would not be the least bit surprised if he reverses his decision and comes out for the draft this year.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I also think Lane Kiffin is the main influence on MB deciding to stay. We all know that it's all about CLK and he could care less about the players. I think he should go pro because. Ask Sam Bradford.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
I agree with you. Barkley was going to be the second quarterback chosen. I also believe he would have been a top 10. He has an opportunity to earn enough money to take care of himself for the rest of his life. He also has the potential to destroy a shoulder by playing in one more game.....collegiate or professional.

In fact, I would not be the least bit surprised if he reverses his decision and comes out for the draft this year.
I was thinking 3rd maybe 4th qb taken Moore and Luck will go first then maybe Keenum/Barkley you also have to factor in Darron Thomas to some degree who should go behind any of the QB's mentioned already. There's going to be a good QB selection this year with potential for 2 or more franchise QB's.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I was thinking 3rd maybe 4th qb taken Moore and Luck will go first then maybe Keenum/Barkley you also have to factor in Darron Thomas to some degree who should go behind any of the QB's mentioned already. There's going to be a good QB selection this year with potential for 2 or more franchise QB's.
Moore before Barkely? Seriously?
I wouldn't be surprised if Moore doesn't even get drafted.

I don't have a problem with MB playing another year. He is fortunate enough to be from a family where money isn't a problem.
I don't like his arrogant, self-centered, prima donna attitude.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Moore before Barkely? Seriously?
I wouldn't be surprised if Moore doesn't even get drafted.

I don't have a problem with MB playing another year. He is fortunate enough to be from a family where money isn't a problem.
I don't like his arrogant, self-centered, prima donna attitude.
Kellen Moore is projected to be a 5th round or later draft choice. Guy has an extremely weak arm, doesn't play from under center, etc etc.

Moore getting drafted, as Russtang said is no given!

conturbo

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I thought Barkely was the best qb in the country this year. I think he will be the favorite for the Heisman but I am not buying that USC will contend next year

Vertical

All-American
May 15, 2000
New Hampshire
All selfish egotistical reasons...
Well what reason wouldn't be selfish or egotistical? If he went pro, wouldn't that be selfish? Leaving his team behind so he can go get paid? Sounds like he's in a lose-lose situation with you, here.

And nevermind all that, thinking of ones self does not necessarily equate to selfish. Shouldn't he do what is best for him, in his opinion? Isn't that up to him? Not you?

Maybe you want him gone so you don't have to listen to ESPN ride USC's jock all season. Maybe you want him gone so that a potential roadblock to Alabama's next NC is out of the way? Either way, those aren't valid reasons. The kid wants to stay. So what? I'd love to be back in college for another year, especially if I were the big man on campus in Southern California. Sounds incredible. Yes, please.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
why does matt barkley's decision to return for another year at USC seem to upset you so much?
I am far from upset that Matt Barkely is going to play another year of football. In all honesty the kid could have another press conference this evening and say he is never going to play football ever again for all I really care.

I am simply discussing that I feel it is a bad decision and is based solely on the greed to win a heisman trophy, national awards, etc.

I'm not sure how you can use the quoted section above and see anywhere where I was angry...

I am more than sure USC will not go undefeated next year in the regular season and will not be in the national championship game with or without Barkely...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Well what reason wouldn't be selfish or egotistical? If he went pro, wouldn't that be selfish? Leaving his team behind so he can go get paid? Sounds like he's in a lose-lose situation with you, here.

And nevermind all that, thinking of ones self does not necessarily equate to selfish. Shouldn't he do what is best for him, in his opinion? Isn't that up to him? Not you?

Maybe you want him gone so you don't have to listen to ESPN ride USC's jock all season. Maybe you want him gone so that a potential roadblock to Alabama's next NC is out of the way? Either way, those aren't valid reasons. The kid wants to stay. So what? I'd love to be back in college for another year, especially if I were the big man on campus in Southern California. Sounds incredible. Yes, please.
I could care less if Matt Barkely stays at USC for another year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok now that that is settled, I simply think he is making a bad choice. And no it is not selfish to go "get paid" by doing your job...

Please find a thread where I have begged Trent Richardson to stay at Alabama, or Mark Ingram, or anyone! I was an advocate of Ingram leaving after his junior year FWIW! (Richardson should also go pro IMO btw)

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
No one really knows what went into his decision for staying, but I have no reason to doubt that he did what was in his best interest for his future. These are decisions that a lot of us will never have to make and although I do not really care for USC, I find it refreshing when someone stays another year when they could have gone pro and made some money. Sometimes a player can't win for losing I guess.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.