Virginia Tech hires Scott Loeffler as Offensive Coordinator

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
I don't think he's a bad OC. He was handcuffed by Chiz and by having spread athletes running a pro style offense. Not to mention not even an average QB on the roster.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Beamer needs his head examined. In other news the spread for the Bama vs. VaTech game just jumped thirty points in Bama's favor.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Some observations from Tech board:

HeLL YES! Hell yes! hell yes. I have been waiting for this day 4ever!
I have been waiting for this day 4ever!

Auburn Fans. Think carefully before you post
If you are here to converse, great. If you are here to flame, we'll knock the oxygen out of you so fast, you won't even smolder.

Auburn fans are delusional idiots. If they are this jaded by the hire, its all the more reason for us to LOVE it

Roll Tide

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
They haven't cared about offense for years.
Heck, at times, I'm not sure Coach Beamer cares about football too much...
i'm not really a tech fan, but he basically is virginia tech football. 20 years ago they were awful (and pretty much always had been)...like losing to VMI bad. they've been to 20 straight bowl games under beamer and last season notwithstanding, they're a consistent top 25 caliber program (which ain't saying all that but it's a lot better than what they used to be).

i believe beamer's the winningest active d1a coach right now. he's not a legendary coach by any means, but he's good.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think he was a bust at Auburn because he is a bad coach. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Va Tech's offense improves next season - they can't get much worse than they were this year.

However, this hire won't make a difference for them in their game against us.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i'm not really a tech fan, but he basically is virginia tech football. 20 years ago they were awful (and pretty much always had been)...like losing to VMI bad. they've been to 20 straight bowl games under beamer and last season notwithstanding, they're a consistent top 25 caliber program (which ain't saying all that but it's a lot better than what they used to be).

i believe beamer's the winningest active d1a coach right now. he's not a legendary coach by any means, but he's good.
Agree with all. VMI used to be a Homecoming patsy...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

You'd have to watch the downward spiral that is Tech football to understand. I remember the 4-8 Hokie teams of years gone by. The last few years, each season has been worse than the previous one, at least on the offensive side of the ball. Brian Stinespring does not seem to have what it takes to put an offense together. Coach Beamer does not seem to have the ability to let a failing OC go, at least not until today. Like Cutcliff at Ole Miss and Shula & Bob Connelly, sometimes the head coach's loyalty has to be to the school/program, not the under-performing coaching staff member.
I don't know if the PTB in Blacksburg told Beamer that Stiney & co. had to go or CFB decided to do this on his own, but this has been a long time coming, and I believe the Hokies will be better for having made this change, if for no other reason than to demonstrate that changing the coaching staff is possible when called for.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Ted Roof showed at PSU this year that he could do more than with the Chiz. I imagine this will probably be the same story.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
I don't think he was a bust at Auburn because he is a bad coach. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Va Tech's offense improves next season - they can't get much worse than they were this year.

However, this hire won't make a difference for them in their game against us.

Since playcalling is part of coaching I have to disagree. Granted, I only watched 3 of their games last year but that was some of the worst playcalling I've seen.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Just maybe Loeffler can do for VT what he did for Auburn. ;)
Guess now we will find out if the Offensive problems at Auburn was Scott or Cheeze-whiz.

* We find out our first game.

VT had problems this year. Is Loeffler their answer?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.