Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
Also, as I'm sure somebody has already said, if this is truly a hoax, then let's get to the bottom of who would do such a thing. I know I would want to find the person who made me a public embarrassment.

Turn over some phone records, etc. and let's find the perpetrators. I know some NFL teams have access to the best private investigators in the business and will do just this.

I think we all know how this is going to turn out.

Regardless, tough to get any respect in an NFL locker room after this. Gotta hurt his draft stock as much or more than the Lacy Express.
what did lacy do wrong?

this has to push te'o to at least day 2 or undrafted free agent status.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
There's no way he drops to the second day unless he totally bombs at the combine. I'm not sure this will even knock him out of the first round. People have done much worse and still been taken in round 1.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Every time ESPN replays that Gene Woj interview I laugh hysterically. Is that weird?

I'm beginning to lean more towards Teo having some significant psychological issues watching that interview. His mannerisms, eye movement, and dramatic embellishments of detail are that of a pathological liar or the like, knowing what we know now.
maybe he will be able to land a date with morgan fairchild now

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Just now read all this, it's sick!

Lying has been replaced with confusion.

However looking at all points I don't see how you can run from the meeting in Hawaii & CA then say he was a victim.
when you keep lying the problem is you forget details, time for the truth & get it over with.

No way ESPN was going to damper the millions they had spent building up the game, there really is no such thing as journalism in sports, seems everyone has agenda or marching orders.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Video after the MSU game, where Manti says in an interview he states "I couldn't do it without the support of my family, without the support of my girlfriends family"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKDus7QjJ_w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So who was her pretend family? Were they "online only" support too? This was one heckuva elaborate orchestrated hoax that required numerous people keeping the secret, or Manti has just simply lied over the course of a season and continued to perpetuate the lies.

And the tweets don't prove anything, at least the one's I've seen...just proves/points to the possibility that someone knew/figured out that it was obviously a hoax and was joking about it, but doesn't prove Te'o wasn't part of it.

Last edited:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Espn this morning on Mike and Mike is really spinning this as manti is the victim. Gene W. just stated that there were minor to middle inconsistencies in Manti's story. I don't know how a journalist could state that if they simply read the deadspin article and articles. IMHO, there are major inconsistencies just regarding whether he met the girl in person.

another point espn is trying to make is that because Nd is defending te'o, he's obviously innocent because Nd doesn't owe him. Ridiculous...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i would also add that this just reinforces my disgust with all of the personal interest/background stories that are crammed into sports coverage these days.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Espn this morning on Mike and Mike is really spinning this as manti is the victim. Gene W. just stated that there were minor to middle inconsistencies in Manti's story. I don't know how a journalist could state that if they simply read the deadspin article and articles. IMHO, there are major inconsistencies just regarding whether he met the girl in person.

another point espn is trying to make is that because Nd is defending te'o, he's obviously innocent because Nd doesn't owe him. Ridiculous...
i imagine that espn, sports illustrated, and all of the other sports media that were duped by this are in serious CYA mode right now. i have to say, i would love to see mark may and lou holtz discuss this. :cool:

Last edited:

AngryEwok

All-SEC
Teo was exposed on the field by BAMA. Teo was exposed off the field by Deadspin. And each of these have combined their efforts to expose the media for what it is. Journalism is propagandized in this country.

I suspect that someone at some point uncovered the lie, but instead of reporting the truth, further sensationalized the story. In the same way Teo created the tragic lovestory, the media created in Teo a sensational football player.

One lie had to come to light on Monday. The other, for all we know, was going to be sensationalized by the media sometime later - whenever it was convenient for the media. It wouldn't be the first time the media sat on a story. What a sad state we live in when a gossip blog reminds us of what investagative reporting used to look like.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I also think the major sports media outlets are in DEFCON 10 CYA mode. They not only bought into the story, they pushed it until some of us were sick of all the hype.
i tried watching the nd/usc game in regular season and had to turn it off over the te'o gushing from herbstreit. herbstreit is one of my favorite sports reporter guys, but it was just sickening.

at least herbie made up for it by pointing out teos poor play early and often in the bcscg

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't blame the media for all this. I mean, if someone says their girlfriend died, why would you have to check that out? Not going to the funeral was a bit odd, but he said she didn't want him to miss a game for it and given the distance to Hawaii, that seems plausible he wouldn't go.

I can also see a football player inventing a girlfriend to cover up being gay (especially a Mormon at a Catholic school), but saying she died is juts bizarre. Nobody outside the team and his circle of friends cared if he had a girlfriend. If people start getting nosy about her, just say they broke up and having a long distance relationship wasn't working out.

Raymond Burr, best known for playing Perry Mason, was gay but remained deeply in the closet for professional reasons. He had a brief marriage as a young man, but then went to great lengths to cover up his homosexuality. He claimed to have been wounded while serving in the Navy during WWII. He said he was married a couple other times and even said he had a son who had died at the age of ten.

I remember when Teo's girlfriend died. I had never heard of him before this season and didn't pay much attention to it since Notre Dame wasn't highly ranked early in the year. so I really wasn't aware of any of the back story of their relationship that was given at the time. He didn't play for us, so I really didn't care. I did not know until yesterday his grandmother had died. I really didn't pay much attention to him during the run up to our game. I was glad Manzeil won the Heisman over him, but that was mainly because I was rooting for the SEC guy.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Sadly, this reminds me of the death of my girlfriend. We were sitting on the couch and I accidentilly touched her leg with my cigarette. In a sudden rush of air she flew up and landed on my ceiling fan and was ripped to shreds. I buried her in the garbage can. :biggrin2:

I know, I know, take it to the NS board.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.