Blog: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
It will be painful but eventually the entire bowl system needs to be removed. Playoff games should be seeded and played at higher seeds home field. Championship games could be played at rotating southern and domed sites like the SB.
I know that there are many of you who want an NFL model for college football, but I really hope that is not what we come to. I can't stand the NFL. If you guys want an NFL model, just watch the NFL. I love college football because of the link to the university. I love that students dress up and that alums come back to town. I love to walk my old campus and see the hand prints of old captains in the concrete. I love to see old college buddies and eat good food. I love the pageantry of the bowls. I love college football. I will watch college football if they get rid of scholarships and return to the days of guys from the student body who come out just because they love the game.
Those of you who love NFL football need to just cheer for NFL teams and quit watching college football. This is the only hope I have that college football will remain the same. Unfortunately, it seems that sports writers, northerners, and NFL lovers all have it in their minds that they need to change the college game. It is like when northerners move down South because they like the weather, the food, the slower paced life, and the first thing they start doing is trying to change things to the way they did things up North. It doesn't make any sense at all.
Again, if you love college football, leave it alone. If you don't, watch the NFL. That way everyone can be happy.
To stay on topic, I think eighty-five scholarships is plenty.
Of course, I should add that this is only my opinion. Roll Tide!

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I agree. If I'm a 3 star athlete and it has been my dream to play football at the University of Alabama, and they can afford to give me a scholarship just to let me "ride the pine", I should have the opportunity to accept that scholarship and suit up for "my team".
Or you can suit up for "your team" and win the Heisman Trophy...

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I enthusiastically agree with everything above that TeamPlayer posted. As a word of support, I can promise you that university presidents will not allow college football to become a minor league for the NFL and separate themselves from their institutional purpose of education. Like TeamPlayer, most of us would support the University of Alabama Crimson Tide if all college football was made up of walk-ons. If the quality of play -and NOT COMPETITION, is your primary reason for following football, then the NFL might just be your ticket. There is no doubt Coach Saban learned that the highest level of quality of play didn't do it for him. It was the COMPETITION about working with those who wanted to prove themselves to be as good as they could possibly be and to achieve their individual and team goals.
Off topic, but scholarship limitations for all of men's sports (including football) will be forced to comply with Title IX. It won't be market driven principles, NCAA rules, or what the fans support with attendance or interest.
Athletic Departments will be forced to add women's sports, increase women's spending AND cut on the men's side since 95% of all athletic departments are losing money. One last time, football expenses skew the numbers so it is the easiest target. Regrettably, players like nx4Bama must suffer the consequences. If you have any little girls who want athletic scholarships, you might consider getting them a rowing machine.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
If you guys want an NFL model, just watch the NFL. I love college football ......
It's not an NFL model. It is the model of virtually every single team sport at every single level (including lower level college football) except the FBS. The bowl system never made any sense, it doesn't make sense now, and it won't ever make sense.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
It's not an NFL model. It is the model of virtually every single team sport at every single level (including lower level college football) except the FBS. The bowl system never made any sense, it doesn't make sense now, and it won't ever make sense.
Honest question, not trying to flame: If you dislike it so much, why do you watch it?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
There was a valid reason for the scholarship reductions. Psu participated in the cover up and only came foreword after the news already was broken. PSU is trying to crawfish.
They are lucky to still have a football program.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
yeah, i knew a girl in college who transferred to an ivy-league school and got a scholarship for crew and as far as i know, had zero experience.....
I lived in Knoxville when they started their crew program and they took out an ad in the paper looking for female students to join the team. The ad said no rowing experience was needed.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Some where around 100 scholarships. Would allow the smaller schools to still compete,
but would allow the students to maybe get in the college of their choice.

Last edited:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I'm actually OK with the 85 but 105 would be OK, too. However, I think they should go back to being able to substitute a scholarship for one previously offered but the kid failed to qualify academically. Keeping a team to 25 players with no oversigning means that teams can no longer take chances on a player who is borderline academically. It hurts those kids.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Ah, so you're saying it is unique. I agree, and I like it just like it is. If you don't like it, watch "virtually every single team sport at every single level." That way we can all be happy. Don't ruin our sport just because you want it to be like your other sports.

Honest question, not trying to flame: If you dislike it so much, why do you watch it?
Exactly.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I have tried to explain the impact of Title IX on men's football scholarship numbers, but based on some of the replies, I have miserably failed to present the facts in a way they could be understood.
I respectfully ask the board moderators to give me a lifetime ban, if I ever offer another post on this subject. :)

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Because I love Alabama football and college football in general. But I also know that I've been having the "playoff" talk with buddies for 20+ years.

Prior to the BCS I feel like there was a strong sentiment in the CFB world about moving to a playoff. Bowl tie-ins often led to less than desirable match ups and sometimes prevented the #1 vs #2 match ups that we all wanted to see. Now we have the BCS and while we eliminated the 1v2 problem, we still get odd match ups. ND didn't belong in the BCSNC game, NIU played FSU, and UGA got shafted. And never mind games like ArkSt vs Kent St.

I love college football I just see no good in the bowl system. I never have.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Because I love Alabama football and college football in general. But I also know that I've been having the "playoff" talk with buddies for 20+ years.

Prior to the BCS I feel like there was a strong sentiment in the CFB world about moving to a playoff. Bowl tie-ins often led to less than desirable match ups and sometimes prevented the #1 vs #2 match ups that we all wanted to see. Now we have the BCS and while we eliminated the 1v2 problem, we still get odd match ups. ND didn't belong in the BCSNC game, NIU played FSU, and UGA got shafted. And never mind games like ArkSt vs Kent St.

I love college football I just see no good in the bowl system. I never have.
I understand your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. My main point is to be careful for what you wish because you just may get it. Who knows, it may end up being preferable, but I like the bowls and always have. Now, with that said, I don't always agree with every bowl match-up, but that gives us something to talk about between the end of the season and the beginning of the bowl games. Roll Tide, brother.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To answer the OP...depends on the end goal.

Is it to educate the most athletes? If so, lift the cap altogether.

Is it to increase the chances of parity among FBS programs? If so, reduce it.

I think the more interesting question is, "What is the goal of the NCAA?"

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not convinced the NCAA truly has a goal except to burden its members with a mountain of regs and to regulate with absolutely no consistency. I see scholarship reductions rather than increases.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.