Playoffs & Conference Championhip Games

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
As I understand it, the winners of conference championship games will not automatically participate in the 4 team playoff and the ccg loosers will be down for the count. Question...will there come a time in the not-to-distant future when the format for choosing the final four is changed and/or ccg's cease to exist altogether?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Interesting point. The way to go seems to be the Notre Dame/BYU way. They have no ccg and cannot be ruled out. Someone pointed out that Granny Holtz makes a big deal about winning a conference being a must ..... and yet ND gets a free pass. Having said all that, I think ND being a semi ACC member will put them in the postion of being in a conference whether they are fully committed or not.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Actually the move, eventually, would be more likely that CCG would be play-ins for the playoff... I doubt we see the demise of the CCG any time soon

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Interesting point. The way to go seems to be the Notre Dame/BYU way. They have no ccg and cannot be ruled out. Someone pointed out that Granny Holtz makes a big deal about winning a conference being a must ..... and yet ND gets a free pass. Having said all that, I think ND being a semi ACC member will put them in the postion of being in a conference whether they are fully committed or not.
I really like Holtz, but his stance on conference champions is about as two-faced as it gets.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Actually the move, eventually, would be more likely that CCG would be play-ins for the playoff... I doubt we see the demise of the CCG any time soon
It could go both ways and both ways are bad.

One is the way it is now, in which the SEC plays itself out of the playoff. With conference champ criteria, it becomes virtually impossible, even for a #1 team going into the SECCG to make it in with a loss. On the other hand, winning the SECCG is not a guarantee the team gets in (although most years it would be). The reason the Big 12 hates the CCG is because they see it as a way to play themselves out of the national championship.

The other option is far, far worse and that is that the winners of these games automatically gets in. This is basically a repeat of the way the BCS bowls are now. You know, Georgia is out, Wisconsin is in.

The SEC had a chance to fight to keep things from being overtly biased against the SEC, but Slive was so happy about a playoff he let them railroad him into having the part about conference champs. The only thing that worked right about the BCS was the rankings and they are basically getting rid of those. So, now it's the BCS brought to you by the people that selected Northern Illinois, Wisconsin, and Louisville.

The SEC has Georgia, Texas A&M, LSU, and South Carolina left out in the cold in favor of those programs. The SEC had better get used to that feeling...

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The only way I can see that it being fair is some sort of RPI system set up for Football like they have in Basketball based on your SOS and your opponent's SOS.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The SECCG is the only meaningful conference championship game, because winning the SEC is so important to the fans in your conference. Winning the PAC or B1G is only important because a Rose Bowl appearance is on the line. No one really cares about winning these conferences.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I sense an 8 team playoff in short order because if we can see the potential problems with the 4 team setup everyone else can too. College will forever be changed and I do not think for the better.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The only way I can see that it being fair is some sort of RPI system set up for Football like they have in Basketball based on your SOS and your opponent's SOS.
That is the role the computers play now. RPI has flaws, especially if you use it to determine a very small group of teams. I agree it has value though, but the committee says they'll use SoS as part of their criteria.

The main issue I have is that they already have something that works almost perfectly in the BCS standings and they are going to throw those out in favor of a committee. You know the NCAA basketball committee uses RPI but you also know they do weird stuff sometimes. It becomes the same back room type stuff, but potentially much worse. The committee in basketball has so many slots that their weird behavior is usually only on display in terms of top seeds and who they leave out.

The issue we are witnessing this year is the BCS working as the powers that be intended. Inclusion over excellence. They want a Big 10 team in, even if none are deserving. They do not actually care about worthiness, they simply want representation. It doesn't matter what formula they use as long as it is poisoned by this.

I would go six teams, with the top two getting a bye...like the nfl conferences
I fail to see any logic to have a 5 and 6 ranked team in. For instance, this year that's a Kansas St. team blown out by Baylor and two loss Stanford. No way they deserve a shot at the championship.

Now, the way things played out was actually fair and all that's ever been needed. Give #1 a bye and let #2 and #3 play each other. But 6 teams? The only "need" for six teams is so they can cram some more undeserving conference champs in there.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I really like Holtz, but his stance on conference champions is about as two-faced as it gets.
I agree as long as he refrains from commenting on ND, Arkansas or South Carolina. He is loyal to those, especially ND, to a fault and, therefore, he loses all credibility when he discusses anything that has to do with them. Otherwise, he's pretty insightful about football in general.

I sense an 8 team playoff in short order because if we can see the potential problems with the 4 team setup everyone else can too. College will forever be changed and I do not think for the better.
Well, as the long thread about playoffs predicted, you are probably right.

FWIW, I wouldn't have a problem with a conference winner getting an automatic spot IF they are ranked (using some legitimate ranking system) as one of the top teams, but there is obviously a problem if a team like Wisky, with five losses, wins their conference and gets in.

But it's pretty easy to see that the 4 team playoff will likely swell because of all these issues.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Krazy is right (and we are at odds on the specifics of the BCS as all know).

It will wind up being the reason why "we need to expand the playoff to prevent injustices"

All you have to do is keep the system as it is BUT the top four are in. But since it's that easy well they mess it up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.