LSU onside kick ?

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Maybe I missed something but it sure looked like to me the LSU kicker kicked the ball and it immediately bumped off the ground and hit his foot again. Did anyone else see that and is that not touching the ball before 10 yards? If so, he actually touched it twice before it reached 10 yards. I know it is a moot point but I am curious to know if (a) anyone else saw that and (b) if that was not illegal touching as well.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll look again, but I didn't see the foot strike - only the bounce-back into his chest, which is the one the zebras called. It was about a yard or so short of the ten yards...

KnockturnalTide

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 8, 2012
A, A
When I saw it live and the countless times it was shown in replay...I dont think that was necessarily a bad bounce or him running in to it as much as it looked like he was intentionally swatting the ball with his right hand. JMO

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I thought it was an illegal kick by the new on-side kick rule which states that the kicker can not kick the ball from the tee directly into the ground.
However the rule is actually designed to eliminate the big high hop teams were using.
The rule is actually that the ball simply must bounce twice before it goes ten yards.
Confused now? lol

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
We got lucky & I'm not ashamed of that. We have got to do a better job with OS kicks. Blocking a FG & stops on 4th down are just pure talent.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
If the player didn't bat it down, it would have gone the full length. He had a quick reflex instead of letting it go.

But you know how we all complained about Foster kicking it short...and being on design or not. Well, he did a perfect job at the end with kicking it short and we had great coverage, it knocked 15 seconds off the clock.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We got lucky & I'm not ashamed of that. We have got to do a better job with OS kicks. Blocking a FG & stops on 4th down are just pure talent.
That style onside kick is very difficult to defend. As a guy on the return team, you want to get back in position to block as quickly as possible. Thus, the players tend to immediately run towards the return man. If the kicker does the perfect dribble kick, the ball goes 10 yards, and he falls on it. How can a team cover that without having poor blocking on an actual return?
If the player didn't bat it down, it would have gone the full length. He had a quick reflex instead of letting it go.

But you know how we all complained about Foster kicking it short...and being on design or not. Well, he did a perfect job at the end with kicking it short and we had great coverage, it knocked 15 seconds off the clock.
Cade did a fine job of what the coaches told him to do.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Maybe I missed something but it sure looked like to me the LSU kicker kicked the ball and it immediately bumped off the ground and hit his foot again. Did anyone else see that and is that not touching the ball before 10 yards? If so, he actually touched it twice before it reached 10 yards. I know it is a moot point but I am curious to know if (a) anyone else saw that and (b) if that was not illegal touching as well.
I didn't see the foot hit the ball and I'd have to see the play while looking for that to see if it did happen. However, everywhere I've read about the onside kick they mention the ball hitting Hairston on various parts of his body. What I saw was Hairston slapping the ball with his hand as if to stop the ball's movement.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
It looked to me like he was following it too closely and when it took that quick hop he couldn't get out of the way and just instinctively put his hand up.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I thought it was an illegal kick by the new on-side kick rule which states that the kicker can not kick the ball from the tee directly into the ground.
However the rule is actually designed to eliminate the big high hop teams were using.
The rule is actually that the ball simply must bounce twice before it goes ten yards.
Confused now? lol
I've often wondered who came up with the idea of an onside kick in the first place.:conf2:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
In a pre-game thread I said we would see a fake punt, a fake field goal, and an onside kick. Two out of three ain't bad.
Seems like Les tries one or the other every time we play. It's part of his trademark bag of tricks.
Les feels duty bound to try to fool us.

I called the fake punt and fake field goal. I missed the on-side-kick...
Glad Coach saban saw it coming...
When I realized it was a fake, I started counting yards, and looking for flags...
At first glance I thought the ball hit the kicker on the face guard.
The failed fake attempt demoralized LSU instead of us. :)

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Seems like Les tries one or the other every time we play. It's part of his trademark bag of tricks.
Les feels duty bound to try to fool us.

I called the fake punt and fake field goal. I missed the on-side-kick...
Glad Coach saban saw it coming...
When I realized it was a fake, I started counting yards, and looking for flags...
At first glance I thought the ball hit the kicker on the face guard.
The failed fake attempt demoralized LSU instead of us. :)
what fake punt?

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
I think the batting of the ball might have been the design of the play. IMO, he was supposed to let the ball go the required ten yards then bat it back to the teammate that was trailing him for the recovery.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.