NCAA to former Miami players: Talk or we're assuming you're guilty

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
That's what they should have told Auburn players while investigating the
$$$SCAM NEWTON$$$ Case...
Difference is that Auburn Lawyer-ed up...

Last edited:

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
Tell us about some minor stuff or we will assume the worst.

Sounds like Miami is screwed regardless, but might be less screwed if some of these guys chirp.

I will go out on a limb and predict an additional 1 year bowl ban for 2014 and an initial counter loss of 21 over 3.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Right or wrong, many fans made the same assumption about Reggie Bush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I haven't read the article, but why would would former players care what the NCAA thinks? The NCAA is an embarrassing sanctimonious institution that barely even has any authority in its own tiny area of influence.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That's what they should have told Auburn players while investigating the
$$$SCAM NEWTON$$$ Case...
Difference is that Auburn Lawyer-ed up...
It is the inconsistency on the part of the NCAA that is so hard to accept. They are constantly moving the goalposts after the kick is up.

I'll be happy when the NCAA is done dead and buried.

Then there's the whole misplaced punishment idea. If a player or coach violates the rules, the NCAA does not punish the guilty, they punish the next group at the same school. It's like the cops saying, "If you don't stop robbing banks, we're going to arrest your son or your neighbor." An unethical person would ask, "Do I get the keep the money?" If the answer is yes, then the unethical breaker of the rules will say to himself, "Oh, well. It sucks to be my son or neighbor."

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I haven't read the article, but why would would former players care what the NCAA thinks? The NCAA is an embarrassing sanctimonious institution that barely even has any authority in its own tiny area of influence.
I agree.

Be tempting to agree to an in person interview, let them fly their lawyers to Miami, then stand them up. If they get upset, do it again.

BamaRV

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 19, 2007
Roswell, GA
...Then there's the whole misplaced punishment idea. If a player or coach violates the rules, the NCAA does not punish the guilty, they punish the next group at the same school. It's like the cops saying, "If you don't stop robbing banks, we're going to arrest your son or your neighbor." An unethical person would ask, "Do I get the keep the money?" If the answer is yes, then the unethical breaker of the rules will say to himself, "Oh, well. It sucks to be my son or neighbor."
This is my entire problem with the NCAA. They never punish the violators and just hit the players and coaches that come along later.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
Not sure what the NCAA can do about former players, so...

Sounds like the NCAA is ready to pound Miami.
The NFL needs to get involved. A player should have to pay restitution or a fine of some kind. Either that, or be forcecd to sit out a couple of seasons if they are found to accepted benifits while in college. I don't have a problem with the college being punished, but the guilty individuals (boosters, coaches, and/or players) should be punished also.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The NFL needs to get involved.
Bad idea.

The answer is to have each player sign a contract when they set foot on campus that allows punitive damages after their NCAA career is over if it's proven they broke the rules. Coaches should be required to have similar wording in their contracts. But forcing the NFL to deal with the NCAA's poor decisions / leadership isn't the answer.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Bad idea.

The answer is to have each player sign a contract when they set foot on campus that allows punitive damages after their NCAA career is over if it's proven they broke the rules. Coaches should be required to have similar wording in their contracts. But forcing the NFL to deal with the NCAA's poor decisions / leadership isn't the answer.
I like this idea. The NCAA could, I suppose direct that any scholar-athlete sign a contract with similar verbiage and dock the perps personally and directly.
I do not like the NCAA's "go after the innocent and make them collateral damage" strategy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.