Question: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Notre Dame will be there all four quarters. They have not had a game in which it looked like they were out of shape all year. This was NOT the case under the previous coaches

when you say ND will be there for all 4 quarters, I believe you. why??

except for a few blowouts (Navy, Miami, Wake) ND has had their 1st team in for the duration of their games. this is due to your anemic offense.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think the Irish front 7 is pretty doggone good, and winning close games with defense and the ground game is a formula dear to my heart. I think that battle up front will be more evenly matched than some in this thread. A comparison was made to Georgia, but I think the Dawgs had some trouble stopping the run all year long. I like the Tide to win because of a more balanced offense, but I think we better be ready for a fight.

ND1976

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2012
I got a notification asking me to post again, so here goes.

A couple of things happened before Taylor crossed the goal line.

The play was blown dead. Which is why a couple of our players - including T'eo - stopped playing and started celebrating.

Then Taylor's elbow hit the ground.

Then he crossed the goal line.

But ESPN gets more hits by showing a two-second clip making it look like he scored than by showing the entire play from multiple angles that show that both the play was dead and he was down.

The Pitt game was not the first time we had two players with the same number on the field. We need to stop doing that. It may not work again.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
I got a notification asking me to post again, so here goes.

A couple of things happened before Taylor crossed the goal line.

The play was blown dead. Which is why a couple of our players - including T'eo - stopped playing and started celebrating.

Then Taylor's elbow hit the ground.

Then he crossed the goal line.

But ESPN gets more hits by showing a two-second clip making it look like he scored than by showing the entire play from multiple angles that show that both the play was dead and he was down.

The Pitt game was not the first time we had two players with the same number on the field. We need to stop doing that. It may not work again.
Even the NotreDame Broadcasting Collaboration team of Tom Hammond and Mike Mayock lauded Taylor for continuing to work, and you could hear Mayock's voice trail as he realized it could easily be called a TD on review.

I know, I just watched it last night.

Also, Stanford had a big 4th quarter run set up, when officials stopped the play - due to a "Whistle from the stands"

ND1976

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2012
The whistle blew.

The play was dead.

The game was over.

Really.

Mayock went to Boston College and is the opposite of a homer for ND.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
The whistle blew.

The play was dead.

The game was over.

Really.

Mayock went to Boston College and is the opposite of a homer for ND.
Actually, all I saw on TV were the announcers analyzing the play, all the way to the point Taylor reached the ball to the stripe.....................

They never said anything about a "Whistle"

Nor did the official, who after a lengthy look, said the ruling "Stands"

[video=youtube;Q6fNZK2WwFY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q6fNZK2WwFY#t=272s[/video]

If you want to be condescending, at least be correct

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
I love this thread! It is so informative. I also saw that game last night and his legs never stopped churning. The play wasn't dead, but I understand what you say about it would have only tied the game not won it.

I was really impressed with ND's defense and I am interested in seeing how we fare running the ball against ND.

RTR

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Te'o is about 20 pounds bigger than Jarvis Jones... they are completely different players. Jarvis Jones is a much better pass rusher, and is asked to do that on a regular basis... The Notre Dame scheme is much different, as it asks Te'o to run stuff and cover in space. Notre Dame's defense is much more like an SEC defense than Georgia is. All of Notre Dame's LB's are over 250 lbs and every defensive line starter is over 300 lbs. The Notre Dame plan will be to stuff the run and to limit the big pass plays. Will they be able to do this? I'm not sure, but that is the design of the defense, and it has been pretty successful all year.
Actually typical SEC defenses have smaller linebackers and ends because they focus on speed so much. Alabama is the exception rather than the rule in that regard.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Actually, all I saw on TV were the announcers analyzing the play, all the way to the point Taylor reached the ball to the stripe.....................

They never said anything about a "Whistle"

Nor did the official, who after a lengthy look, said the ruling "Stands"

[video=youtube;Q6fNZK2WwFY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q6fNZK2WwFY#t=272s[/video]

If you want to be condescending, at least be correct
looks like he scored on 2nd down to me... he looked down on 4th tho.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
Not to mention that the entire team took their helmets off and ran onto the field before it was official and the review was completed. In Gary D's book thats a penalty, Stanford gets a first down.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I know this one is for all the marbles, but if they aren't as good as LSU is I just don't see how it will be close. Barring mistakes by Bama, I see a route.
agreed. LSU Dline and depth is much better than ND and on par with Bama. LSU secondary is among the best in the nation. the LBs are about even.

LSU running game is 2nd only to Bama. their depth is better than Bama due to our recent injuries. next season, barring injuries Bama RB depth will be unreal. LSU WRs are more elite than ND. QBs are a wash with Mett having inconsistency as his weakness and being a statue under pressure. Golson is more mobile and can move the chains with his feet.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Took a hiatus from the board over Christmas, so I'm just now posting in this thread. Please forgive several quotes in this one post.

Right, but no one has really played bend don't break. That's what we are willing to do. I easily see them bringing in another player for run D. And we will play soft on the outsides and give up flat passes to your WR's. As long as our DB's have tackled as well as they have all year (watch first half of OU), the gameplan can work.
Chavis at LSU is known for a bend but don't break defense.

We never give up big pass plays. We didn't give up any to D-Rob, Landry Jones, or to the two best WR's in the country. I'm not worried about big pass plays in this game. It's all if we stop the run. It will by far be the toughest game plan to execute all year. The closest is Stanford, but again, Bama is the toughest.
Of course, you didn't give up big pass plays to the two best WRs in the country (except for that last 50+ yard pass). I doubt having their Senior QB making the passes had something to do with that, but you don't want to mention that, do you?

Hoke, Shaw, Stoops, Kiffin etc aren't stupid no one comes with the gameplan of running away from Manti. Either way the game plan of running right at Manti sounds awesome on paper until you realize Manti plays behind a stud Nose Guard who has destroyed every offensive line this year.
Ignoring the use of the word "destroy," let me ask you this: has he faced an OL with 3 All-Americans? Or has he faced an offensive lineman that has won the Rimington and the Outland trophies?

Te'o is such a threat because he is hard to get a body on because their DL is good at eating space. You'd rather try to get a guard on him than run laterally and let him move side-to-side, but Nix makes it hard to get up on him. Their offense has been a liability that has been a struggle to get across the finish line for them, but there is no smoke and mirrors on their defense. They look a lot like us: they have the right kind of personnel to run a 3-4 and make you pass effectively to win. Their LB corp is basically like our own: one star (Mosley and Te'o) and a bunch of role guys (at this juncture of their careers). Their secondary has been the point of concern for each fanbase.

Personally, I think Te'o gets too much credit because their down linemen are really the stars of this defense. Te'o on his own would just be a guy getting a lot of tackles...with their linemen clogging things up, he's allowed to take risks and come through clean to the ball carrier. The story of the game will be how we handle their linemen. If we can free up an interior guy to get a hat on Te'o, we will move the ball. If their linemen don't let guys get free to the second level...we're in for one of those close games where their offense has pulled a rabbit out of their hat in the fourth quarter.
His credit/praise comes from his story. He plays for ND. His girlfriend and grandmother both died. He's a mormon playing at ND. It's the perfect media storm.

The matchups between the Alabama receivers and ND's defensive secondary are very interesting. I really don't know how to read it. As many on this board have pointed out - the corners and safeties are supposed to be ND's weakness. However, they have played well all year and developed along quite nicely. They are definitely young. Russell is a true freshman - but he plays like a veteran. He drew a PI call on Stills in the OU game that was quite saavy. In addition, he was the one that committed two PIs in a row against Lee in the USC game that also showed some football intelligence. He wasn't going to give up the TD pass and knew that a PI only moved the ball a few inches closer to the goaline.
ND was fortunate neither of those PIs led to a TD. Did the Freshman QB play a role in that outcome? Possibly. Have to consider how a 2-year starter, National Champion, All-American QB handles those 15 yard penalties compared to a first time starter.

The common description of the defense is "bend but don't break." LSU bent several times in 2011 and finally broke in New Orleans. Not many teams can't bend without breaking when bent several times.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
So I am hearing some things that LSU is a better D, and if we are not better than LSU we most likely won't win...

I'd say there are probably 2-3 teams in CFB that have a chance of winning in Death Valley with what you guys had at stake. It is an impressive win. In any case, this site provides some good stats. It is purely opponent-adjusted, and is very reputable. The best defense you all have faced is LSU at 12, and they held you to 331 and 21 points. If LSU can do that, I see no reason why ND can. With opponent adjusted statistics, we are the best defense you will face all year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef2012

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's hard to compare LSU to Notre Dame anyway because they have a different kind of defense. LSU had a lot of injuries at LB and they lost two of their three CBs from 2011. Their front is probably more productive than Notre Dame's and has two NFL caliber rush ends but Notre Dame's defense is a different sort of defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.