How would you feel if Coach Saban hired Derek Dooley?

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Dooley may be a good hire for Saban, but at what position? I think we have two good Coordinators.

On another note, Tennessee's plane came down and picked up John Chavis from his hunting camp Sunday (fact, not rumor). I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Fulmer's XXXL orange jumpsuit next year.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Dooley may be a good hire for Saban, but at what position? I think we have two good Coordinators.

On another note, Tennessee's plane came down and picked up John Chavis from his hunting camp Sunday (fact, not rumor). I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Fulmer's XXXL orange jumpsuit next year.
What was Chavis doing at a hunting camp the 5 days before the LSU/Arky game?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I would be fine with it. He coached with CNS for years on some very successful teams. He also has to have some good recruiting ties in TN, KY and NC the Tide could exploit.
The guy I really hope we get back is Sal Sunseri. He is a really good coach, and I would love to have him back on the staff in any capacity.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
What was Chavis doing at a hunting camp the 5 days before the LSU/Arky game?
Oh, the possibilities...Chavis to the orange puke and Chicklets takes his place in whoville....oh, the possibilities ;)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
He walked into a tough situation, but he did himself no favors. The Vols have progressively gotten worse every single year. And he has no excuse to be as bad as they've been. They've got a LOT of NFL talent on their roster, top 5 in the SEC for sure.
No they haven't.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just don't buy the Chavis talk. JW, can you show where it is fact? I don't see him being at his hunting camp 5 days before the Arkansas game nor do I see him being a serious candidate for UT.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I dont think I would "feel" anything at all. My reaction would be one of total indifference. Coach has proven, over and over and over again, that he has it all together. If he felt Dooley was the best fit for a position on our staff that might have come open, then that means he probably is the best fit.

RollinTide75

Oct 19, 2012
Memphis,TN
I think the hire would be ok... not so much of a coordinator job, but a good position coach... I just don't know exactly how much better we can get on offense with a different coach... It seems to me like the offensive coaches we have now are doing a real good job... unless someone is leaving and we will need to fill that position at coach.

utjughead

Scout Team
Nov 10, 2000
knoxville, tn
Yes, it was that bad. In 3 seasons, Dooley won 4 SEC games total. Yes, total. He had 2 wins over Vandy, 1 over UK, and 1 over Ole Miss. Three of those wins came in his first season. Last year's loss to UK was at the hands of a converted WR starting his first game ever at QB for UK, and the Kats literally ran about 6 different plays over and over, putting in a reduced playbook that week due to those extreme circumstances of having their top 3 quarterbacks injured. Dooley was 1-7 in SEC play last year, and 0-7 this year at the time of his termination. I've had the benefit (or should I say detriment?) of seeing some bad Vol teams in each of the Battle, Majors, and Fulmer era's, but none approached this past season IMHO. The Vol defense consistently gave up 2 or 3 plays each game of 70 yards or better, eked out a win over Troy and trailed Akron late in the third quarter. Granted, they challenged MSU and SC on the road, but could not finish. The Mizzou loss was the topper, blowing leads of 21-7 and 28-14 to lose in quadruple overtime. The guy (Dooley) just found a way to lose EVERY meaningful conference game in 3 years. I don't care how empty the cupboard was in 2009, this guy was never going to win if he had been allowed to stay a decade. Call it bad luck, being snakebit, the victim of the strongest era of the conference, or whatever. Simply put, his time on the Hill was a disaster. i wish CDD good luck with the balance of his career, and do not blame him for taking a lucrative job 3 seasons ago. He probably has some appeal as a recruiting coordinator or position coach, and good luck to him be it at Bama or elsewhere.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
He walked into a tough situation, but he did himself no favors. The Vols have progressively gotten worse every single year. And he has no excuse to be as bad as they've been. They've got a LOT of NFL talent on their roster, top 5 in the SEC for sure.
When Kiffin's last couple recruiting classes didn't pan out..It made a big difference this year & last year..As compared to his 1st year as their HC..He had more talent to work with his 1st year because a few of those bigtime recruits never made it to campus..If that makes any sense..

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Yes, it was that bad. In 3 seasons, Dooley won 4 SEC games total. Yes, total. He had 2 wins over Vandy, 1 over UK, and 1 over Ole Miss. Three of those wins came in his first season. Last year's loss to UK was at the hands of a converted WR starting his first game ever at QB for UK, and the Kats literally ran about 6 different plays over and over, putting in a reduced playbook that week due to those extreme circumstances of having their top 3 quarterbacks injured. Dooley was 1-7 in SEC play last year, and 0-7 this year at the time of his termination. I've had the benefit (or should I say detriment?) of seeing some bad Vol teams in each of the Battle, Majors, and Fulmer era's, but none approached this past season IMHO. The Vol defense consistently gave up 2 or 3 plays each game of 70 yards or better, eked out a win over Troy and trailed Akron late in the third quarter. Granted, they challenged MSU and SC on the road, but could not finish. The Mizzou loss was the topper, blowing leads of 21-7 and 28-14 to lose in quadruple overtime. The guy (Dooley) just found a way to lose EVERY meaningful conference game in 3 years. I don't care how empty the cupboard was in 2009, this guy was never going to win if he had been allowed to stay a decade. Call it bad luck, being snakebit, the victim of the strongest era of the conference, or whatever. Simply put, his time on the Hill was a disaster. i wish CDD good luck with the balance of his career, and do not blame him for taking a lucrative job 3 seasons ago. He probably has some appeal as a recruiting coordinator or position coach, and good luck to him be it at Bama or elsewhere.
So, basically Mike Shula 2.0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I just don't buy the Chavis talk. JW, can you show where it is fact? I don't see him being at his hunting camp 5 days before the Arkansas game nor do I see him being a serious candidate for UT.
Wasn't Tubby hunting in Arkansas the week of a game once? (Giving rise to rumors he was going there once)>

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.