Did the Crison Tide pull the string too early on some recruits?

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
I don't follow recruiting like some of you guys. But to me the "star rating" isn't the means which a school recruits by, it's by position of need. If you need LB's and D-Linemen you take those guys and pass up the five star ATH or WR because you don't have room at those positions. In other words why would Bama take a five star Kicker this year when we have a great freshman K on the roster? Just because he's a five star? That's the way Texas has recruited over the past several years and you see what it's getting them. Not to mention all those 4 and 5 star Florida players that played so well in their bowl game.

Last edited:

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
They staff evaluates and places them on a board. Some can commit at any time while others like J Cook for example may have to wait for whatever reason. The point is sometimes you can not pass on players they are positions of need or that the staff wants.

I read the other day that someone was asking about why would UA take 4 RBs in this class, assuming we hold on to the 3 we have and get Kamara, which is looking very likely, when next year we are the favorite for Rock, and in great shape for Hurd, Fournette, Michael, and a few more. The response take now because those others might not be there later. Just like taking early commits. I would rather miss on a few high profile near the end and not fill our needs or the class.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
See SO. CAL I think that will answer your question.
Doesn't it seem like we are turning down 4/5 star recruits left and right because we don't have enough room?

Doesn't it seem as if our bottom half dozen recruits are "lighter" than the recruits we are turning down?

Do you think the staff has any regrets?

We are spoiled with all the talent, but it does still pose the question.

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

12ROLL12TIDE12

1st Team
Aug 30, 2008
Orlando, FL
I think there is a lot to be said for those recruits that are willing to commit early and help secure the pledges of other talent before National Signing Day. If I have a young man with talent (either immediate contributor or someone I feel I can develop into a contributor), I take them over a higher "rated" individual who is indecisive or potentially playing the recruiting game. Saban does not have time for that crap which means the "You shop, we shop" agreement. I would much rather have a boring signing day because we already have a full house that play the hat picking game and hope for the best. Fortunately, we have the recruiting master at the helm! RTR!

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The stars assigned to players by recruiting services are not reliable. A 3 star may be a 5 star, etc. It is amazing the credibility the recruiting services have among many fans - amazing.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
The stars assigned to players by recruiting services are not reliable. A 3 star may be a 5 star, etc. It is amazing the credibility the recruiting services have among many fans - amazing.
There's actually some pretty good evidence that the recruiting rankings are a decent indicator of future success for a team as a whole. Very spotty on individual players but if you're getting top 5 classes every year you tend to be a good team.

I think you are looking at the exceptions and giving to much credit.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think your comment is the exception and not the rule in most cases. I think the popularity of recruiting and the recruiting services speaks for itself.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
There's actually some pretty good evidence that the recruiting rankings are a decent indicator of future success for a team as a whole. Very spotty on individual players but if you're getting top 5 classes every year you tend to be a good team.

I think you are looking at the exceptions and giving to much credit.
As a whole the team rankings appear somewhat accurate, but there are many other factors involved. IMO, the recruiting services do a decent job, but they probably have an accuracy rate of below 50%. In fact, a class is considered successful if half of its members make significant contributions. I'm not even knocking the recruiting services but those who put so much stock in their individual player rankings. Even Coach Saban who is considered by many to be the best talent evaluator in all of football, not just college, misses multiple players per year. The NFL who is considerably better than recruiting services, ranking players who are 4 years older, with millions of dollars on the line, miss many first rounders. The recruiting services are not nearly that good, nor should they be expected to be.

lynyrd skynyrd

All-American
Apr 8, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida USA
As a whole the team rankings appear somewhat accurate, but there are many other factors involved. IMO, the recruiting services do a decent job, but they probably have an accuracy rate of below 50%. In fact, a class is considered successful if half of its members make significant contributions. I'm not even knocking the recruiting services but those who put so much stock in their individual player rankings. Even Coach Saban who is considered by many to be the best talent evaluator in all of football, not just college, misses multiple players per year. The NFL who is considerably better than recruiting services, ranking players who are 4 years older, with millions of dollars on the line, miss many first rounders. The recruiting services are not nearly that good, nor should they be expected to be.
word up

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
I think the popularity of recruiting and the recruiting services speaks for itself.
Couldn't agree more, but suspect we have entirely opposite conclusions. ;)

fwiw Mike Dubose taught me all I need to know about recruiting rankings and Coach Saban confirmed it, if they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.