Taxpayers will be paying for the auto bailouts for decades to come.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
This is a question for those who supported the bailout:

Are you okay with how the Obama admin. violated over 200 years of contract law by telling the GM bond holders to get lost even though they should have been first in line to be compensated something?

That action alone should scare the hell out of all of us.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
It worked. Your ideology failed you again. Yet you persist. Being wrong doesn't seem to matter for the committed.
we are 14 trillion in debt. government is doing a great job.

oops i should get my facts straight- over 15T in debt.
The free market ideology has not failed. It hasn't been in place.
This is a question for those who supported the bailout:

Are you okay with how the Obama admin. violated over 200 years of contract law by telling the GM bond holders to get lost even though they should have been first in line to be compensated something?

That action alone should scare the hell out of all of us.
Slab knows better; he's just being troll emeritus again. This is what he does when he can't win an argument or justify big government theft - he uses 180 degree-wrong barn logic. It's pathetic and sad, but Slab is what he is. But, hey, at least he can get Bamaro to "like" his posts. ;)

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Interesting that the Obama fans talking about how swimmingly marvelous the economy is going, seem a little askew for responses when the $15 trillion debt is brought up.

"Irresponsible" and "unpatriotic" are terms I believe he used in describing Shrub's handling of the debt.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Interesting that the Obama fans talking about how swimmingly marvelous the economy is going, seem a little askew for responses when the $15 trillion debt is brought up.

"Irresponsible" and "unpatriotic" are terms I believe he used in describing Shrub's handling of the debt.
I guess I missed those posts.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I guess I missed those posts.
You missed the "Bad News For People Who Hate Good News" and all its spinoff threads? Where you been?

And of course, I wasn't referring just to anyone here. The lamestream media is full of cheerleaders like Brian Williams and the goofballs from CNN. :)

Last edited:
I

It's On A Slab

Three years after the U.S. auto industry nearly collapsed, sales of cars and trucks are surging. Sales could exceed 14 million this year, above last year's 12.8 million.
The result: Carmakers are adding shifts and hiring thousands ofworkers around the country. Carmakers and parts companies added more than 38,000 jobs last year, reaching a total of 717,000. And automakers have announced plans to add another 13,000 this year, mostly on night shifts.
Game.

Set.

Match.

http://news.yahoo.com/detroit-automakers-race-keep-sales-080141880.html

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Game.

Set.

Match.
Heh. Like was said at the beginning of the thread, it's only a "success" if you work on one side of the equation. The taxpayers and bondholders and competitors got screwed. Sorry the facts are so troubling for your Obama-worship.

I knew this guy that went to AC and Vegas several times a year. According to him he won a lot of money. Of course, his winnings included the inflated comps he got in meals and t-shirts. And he never counted his losses. But, as long he said, "Game. Set. Match." he got to call it a "success". That's sound logic right, Slab?

Last edited:

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Do you think the bailout helped those numbers or was the demand already there? As I stated earlier in the thread, if GM, Chrysler, and whoever else that got a bailout had just folded, people were not going to stop driving. The demand was there and more stable and successful auto makers would have reaped the benefits of their success and discipline. People like Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc were going to go in and take advantage of the liguidation of property, equipment and even manpower in setting up operations in those locations.
The bailouts only saved the labor unions and their legacy costs, the demand for GM's (and other auto maker's) products has always been there and will continue to be there for many moons.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Do you think the bailout helped those numbers or was the demand already there? As I stated earlier in the thread, if GM, Chrysler, and whoever else that got a bailout had just folded, people were not going to stop driving. The demand was there and more stable and successful auto makers would have reaped the benefits of their success and discipline. People like Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc were going to go in and take advantage of the liguidation of property, equipment and even manpower in setting up operations in those locations.
The bailouts only saved the labor unions and their legacy costs, the demand for GM's (and other auto maker's) products has always been there and will continue to be there for many moons.
This is exactly right. "Game Set Match" may be what the UAW minions are howling but this will only last a few years as the legacy costs are covered and in a few years another bailout will be forthcoming. This is not the sign of an expanding economy - this is abuse of taxpayer dollars. It will not last.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Of the 14 million sold, I wonder what the number sold domestically is? GM is, and I think was at time of bailout, the number 1 automaker in the world with sales outside the US carrying a higher percentage thatn sales in the US. And of that number sold in the US, does GM hold the GSA contract since the bailout. The govt buys a lot of vehicles off the GSA. Granted no 14 million are purchased, but I wonder if GM is on the GSA contract, is the number purchased in FY '11 higher than normal vehicle purchases in past years.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
You missed the "Bad News For People Who Hate Good News" and all its spinoff threads? Where you been?

And of course, I wasn't referring just to anyone here. The lamestream media is full of cheerleaders like Brian Williams and the goofballs from CNN. :)
I was only taking exception to your "swimmingly marvelous" comment. There are plenty of posts about the economy turning around and doing better but I'll stand on my statement about none blindly praising BO with anything like "swimmingly marvelous".

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I was only taking exception to your "swimmingly marvelous" comment. There are plenty of posts about the economy turning around and doing better but I'll stand on my statement about none blindly praising BO with anything like "swimmingly marvelous".
I'm cool with it Bamaro - just a different perspective. As a wise man once told me, "At the end of the day, it is what it is."

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I live in a condominium. A few years ago, our roofs were in sad shape, and in dire need of replacement. It would have meant thousands of dollars in assessments to replace the roofs. A storm came through, and caused enough damage to get our insurance company involved. The insurance company ended up paying for full roof replacement on our pitiful roofs. From a purely selfish perspective, it was great for all of us, game, set, match. From an overall justice perspective, we screwed over the insurance company, and by extension, the company's other clients, by getting to use their funds for a replacement we would have had to do anyway.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I'm glad that GM & Chrysler (and Ford also) now appear to be healthy and poised to stay that way. America and the taxpayers are much better off. Ideologues may be upset but so be it. Sometimes you need to be flexible. My only concern now is if the unions get greedy and try to go back to their old ways.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.