My Opinion of the Key to the BCS Title Game

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Quick - someone smarter than me..

What's our record under CNS when we don't turn the ball over?
I would figure it out if I wasn't at least attempting to study for an exam tonight. My guess is that the loss column would be the same and the wins would probably be less. I'm thinking of our few losses over the last few years and think I can remember a TO from most of them.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I believe any of teams #2 thru #7 would be too much for Notre Dame. Since we're the only ones that get the chance, good for us. I don't think it will be as close as the "experts" think. I think Bama wins by 3 TD's or more.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I think it's incredibly arrogant that some here think all Alabama has to do is show up and we will beat ND by 10-17 points. I, for one, do not feel that way. And I really hope our players are not paying attention to the media and the forums where people are saying ND is no match for Alabama. I remember everybody saying we had no chance against Miami in 1992. We all know what happened. In my opinion, if our players don't respect what the Irish have done this year and feel like we are entitled to another national championship, it's gonna be a very disappointing January 7th. I'd like to see Alabama fans refrain from all the trash talk, but I'm afraid that's just a part of today's culture. With all that said, I do feel our coaches will have us prepared for the game. Roll Tide!!!

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I think it's incredibly arrogant that some here think all Alabama has to do is show up and we will beat ND by 10-17 points. I, for one, do not feel that way. And I really hope our players are not paying attention to the media and the forums where people are saying ND is no match for Alabama. I remember everybody saying we had no chance against Miami in 1992. We all know what happened. In my opinion, if our players don't respect what the Irish have done this year and feel like we are entitled to another national championship, it's gonna be a very disappointing January 7th. I'd like to see Alabama fans refrain from all the trash talk, but I'm afraid that's just a part of today's culture. With all that said, I do feel our coaches will have us prepared for the game. Roll Tide!!!
I think most people have said that if Alabama plays their best then they will win and probably by double digits. That isn't necessarily dissing ND. Most posters I've seen have agreed that they had a respectable schedule and are a very good team, I mean they won all of their games. I don't think it's arrogance just a confidence that if Alabama plays to the best of their ability that no one can beat them. I think the past few years have shown that that isn't really unrealistic.

However, I have seen several posters say that if Bama turns the ball over then we are probably looking at another nailbiter.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I think people aren't giving Notre Dame their just dues. They aren't really that untalented offensively. They have a veteran OL, two good backs, a great TE, and solid WRs. We will be in for a surprise as a fanbase if we're expecting Mississippi State out there in early January.

They've got some playmakers and they can put up points if they just have a good day in the redzone.

TLIT

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2011
Central VA
Absolutely. The talk of us showing up and having Notre Dame weep for mercy is unrealistic, to say the least.

Also, I'm not sure we should be making the "extra week of rest = rust" argument. I'm sure all of us remember who had an extra week of rest last year.

And, as long as I'm just throwing stuff out there, I may as well add that I think the key is Bama's 3rd down defense. If we can get off the field more than we did against TAMU, LSU, and UGa, then we could win by a couple of scores. But we haven't proven that we can do that against elite opposition. Yet.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
If Bama has as many turnovers against ND as we had against Georgia on the goal line, plus a blocked punt return for a touchdown plus the 15 yd penalties, we will definitely be in for a long night and I wouldn't expect us to pull another one like that out of the hat.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i hate that too. heard the same things before UGA.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's not really a matter of having confidence. I have confidence in what we can do but I also base my outlook in reality. Reality is that Notre Dame hasn't let many teams run away from them and the few times they've had deficits they overcame it. I think the perception of a substantial talent delta between Alabama and Notre Dame is overblown. We're more talented but they are certainly not untalented. They make up for any lack of talent with a lot of experience on defense and the offensive line.

Furthermore, the best way to keep ND from seizing momentum is by avoiding turnovers and Alabama hasn't exactly been the model of ball security against our best opponents. I would rather err on the side of cautious optimism than over-the-top zeal. They've got the basic SEC recipe down for winning these one-game season scenarios. This isn't Oklahoma or Oregon who are soft in regards to power running. This isn't Ohio State who had a very predictable offensive strategy that an SEC defense can tee off on. Love em or hate em, Notre Dame is the first major power outside the SEC to actually commit to playing the game of football the right way: multiples on offense, multiples on defense, ultimately they win by the simple axiom of "run, stop run."

If we were rolling into Miami with last year's defense, I think we see a game like against LSU in the last BCSCG. ND is completely offensively inept and the offense chips away the resolve of a great defense. This defense isn't near as dominant. I don't care what the statistics say. This is going to be a dogfight and win or lose we are not likely to think ND was out-classed in the end.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
If we don't give them the game (something I'm less confident than in the past), they don't win...
This

Most Alabama fans, and most experts that aren't trying to increase ratings, have said, if Bama shows up focused and doesn't have a A&M like meltdown, then Bama will win going away. I've seen ND play multiple times. Bama has MUCH more talent than them at almost every position on the field.

The only question is do we bring our A game.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
We're high, we're low. We're confident, we're cautious. We boast, we downright worry...

LOL !

This is what we get having to wait this long for a game this big.

But I'm no apologist for our success, our ability - if ND plays their best AND we play our best WE win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.