What is the possibility of a split National Title?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If Notre Dame loses to a 1-loss team and Ohio State finishes the regular season undefeated, what are the chances that the AP poll awards OSU the title?

I know that they can't be ranked in the Coaches Poll, Harris Poll or the BCS rankings, but they are currently ranked 4th in the AP.

Do you think the AP would award them a title if no other team finishes unbeaten?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I have been thinking about this myself, and I my gut says no. I think there is still that black cloud over tOSU, that they wouldn't award them the title.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I simply can't see it happening. AP voters are keeping a number of teams ahead of my Buckeyes - enough to keep them from this scenario. They want to march to the beat of their own drum, but they don't want their trophy to become a complete joke by awarding a team on probation their championship.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Oklahoma won the AP national championship in 1974 while they were on NCAA probation, so there is precedent for it. That being said, I don't think it will happen this year.

BAMAFEVER50

1st Team
Aug 17, 2008
MOODY, AL
I simply can't see it happening. AP voters are keeping a number of teams ahead of my Buckeyes - enough to keep them from this scenario. They want to march to the beat of their own drum, but they don't want their trophy to become a complete joke by awarding a team on probation their championship.
Well put, see Auburn for an example. The frustrating part, for you too I'm sure, is the what if of the buckeyes. I would love to see them play an SEC team and get a true gauge an the Urban project.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well put, see Auburn for an example. The frustrating part, for you too I'm sure, is the what if of the buckeyes. I would love to see them play an SEC team and get a true gauge an the Urban project.
I went into this season knowing that we were guilty, so I have no hard feelings about this season. The reality - this Buckeyes team is playing without the pressure that they would normally feel. We have had many very close calls this season. Not sure that we would even be competitive against Alabama this year. Our time will come.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
You just threw the AP trophies in the garbage? I noticed that you gave your players separate rings for the BCS and AP championships. I assume you value both. Am I wrong?
Oh ok, I just didn't make out your point. I have no idea about rings or anything like that. It is now a BCS world though, so an AP championship is just a added bonus bonus at this point.

I do agree that if the AP voters were open to voting Ohio State #1, they would have already moved them up to #2 behind Notre Dame.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, I know what you are saying. What I'm getting at is that for the average fan around the country, and college football in general, the BCS champion is thought of as THE national champion.
It certainly has more legitimacy, but I doubt that any team (including Alabama) would disregard an AP national championship if they were passed over for the BCSCG.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do agree that if the AP voters were open to voting Ohio State #1, they would have already moved them up to #2 behind Notre Dame.
Yep - that was my main point. They seem to purposely be keeping themselves from that precipice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.