2010 Arkansas game

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
This, like most years, is a key game for us. We'll bring a young secondary to Hawgtown to face the best passer in the SEC. I've pegged this game as our most dangerous road game, and combined with the home tilts against Florida & Joe Pa, makes 2010 a very challenging schedule.

BamaJoe

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Every game is dangerous IMO...We are the Defending Nat'l Champs and have a target on our chest the size of Texas (no pun intended). Everyone will be looking to knock us off.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
This, like most years, is a key game for us. We'll bring a young secondary to Hawgtown to face the best passer in the SEC. I've pegged this game as our most dangerous road game, and combined with the home tilts against Florida & Joe Pa, makes 2010 a very challenging schedule.
You could have a point - our secondary will need to grow up quickly by the time we face Mallet. Course, with the talent we have coming back on our defensive line, we should be able to keep him in check for the most part. We do have some good talent in our defensive backfield - they just need some experience. I think we'll be OK.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Every game is dangerous IMO...We are the Defending Nat'l Champs and have a target on our chest the size of Texas (no pun intended). Everyone will be looking to knock us off.
Great in-depth analysis :rolleyes: John Madden, is that you?

bamacpa, I agree. I think the Arkansas game is key for us. I think they're a program on the rise, and if we can find a way to leave Fayettville 4-0, we're the front runner for another national title. Our DB's next year will have more talent, but less experience. I think we'll be more susceptible to big plays, but we'll also force more turnovers.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
All games are important so I guess every game is a key game but I won't be overly cautious of Arkansas till they give me reason to be overly cautious of them. We beat them like a dirty rug last year and last year their signature win was probably Auburn. They lost to LSU, Bama, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida and Alabama. Let that soak in their SEC record was 3-4, sorry but that doesn't leave me shaking in my flip flops.

Penn St is another team that is living off name alone. They graduate over half their starters from a fairly good team that lost to Iowa and Ohio St by 2 scores and went down to the wire to beat a mediocre LSU team having a Les Miles moment.

Sorry if I sound arrogant but I see neither of these teams rising up like Phoenix and setting the sky ablaze. We can beat either of these teams just playing sound fundamental football.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
All games are important so I guess every game is a key game but I won't be overly cautious of Arkansas till they give me reason to be overly cautious of them. We beat them like a dirty rug last year and last year their signature win was probably Auburn. They lost to LSU, Bama, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida and Alabama. Let that soak in their SEC record was 3-4, sorry but that doesn't leave me shaking in my flip flops.

Penn St is another team that is living off name alone. They graduate over half their starters from a fairly good team that lost to Iowa and Ohio St by 2 scores and went down to the wire to beat a mediocre LSU team having a Les Miles moment.

Sorry if I sound arrogant but I see neither of these teams rising up like Phoenix and setting the sky ablaze. We can beat either of these teams just playing sound fundamental football.
Agreed. Our loss (if it happens) comes from SC, OM, or UT, all coming off bye weeks with our new starters beginning to suffer the same slump GMac did this year. I still get a little ticked when I look at that schedule and see all those BYEs before the Alabama games in the SEC.

If I'm looking at the schedule correctly, the last 6 SEC teams we face are coming off bye weeks!?!?!?!? Incredible.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Agreed. Our loss (if it happens) comes from SC, OM, or UT, all coming off bye weeks with our new starters beginning to suffer the same slump GMac did this year. I still get a little ticked when I look at that schedule and see all those BYEs before the Alabama games in the SEC.

If I'm looking at the schedule correctly, the last 6 SEC teams we face are coming off bye weeks!?!?!?!? Incredible.
I think our September games we make it through ok and November games where we used to struggle look very winnable it's the October meat grinder that concern me with Florida, So. Carolina, Ol Miss and Tenn all lined up to meet us. At least we get a week off before we play LSU in November. I think we are just better than most of the teams we will play. They either have new or fairly new coaches or graduated a bunch of key players as in Florida.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
Arkansas may very well be our most dangerous game of the year. Mallet is the top returning QB in the SEC, we will have very young corners and it's a road game, but Arkansas still has not shown they can stop anyone. Also, while Petrino is one of the best offensive coaches out there, I've never been impressed with any of this defenses.

I look for this to be a game where Alabama gives Arkansas a heavy dose of Ingram and Richardson. If we can run the ball effectively against Arkansas, it will help keep Mallett and their offense off the field. I think Alabama wins this game pretty easily.

bfg3rd

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2005
At this point, I really can't see Ole Miss or Tennessee as causes for concern. Am I wrong?

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
Ole Miss will finish last in the West. Now watch Nutt turn that into some sort of miracle season.

It would not surprise me.

It seems he's always been a better coach when no one expects anything of his team and they can fly under the radar. I don't see any way he contends in the West, but he may suprise us and win more than we expect.

mjstide

1st Team
Nov 20, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Don't really understand why anyone is talking about Ole Miss when they mention difficult games next year....Yes they are coming off a bye and it is in the middle of a tough run of games. However, they lost Snead, McCluster, and Hodge which is all of their offense and we get them at home so i don't really see that being a very tough game.

I do believe Arkansas has been a telling game about our season for the last several years. It is a SEC road game so that makes it a tough game. I dont think listing their previous years accomplishments really says a lot since they are still getting used to a new coach. If people had looked at our accomplishments in 2007 I doubt they would have tought we would go undefeated in the regular season in 2008 or been national champs by 2009.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Don't really understand why anyone is talking about Ole Miss when they mention difficult games next year....Yes they are coming off a bye and it is in the middle of a tough run of games. However, they lost Snead, McCluster, and Hodge which is all of their offense and we get them at home so i don't really see that being a very tough game.

I do believe Arkansas has been a telling game about our season for the last several years. It is a SEC road game so that makes it a tough game. I dont think listing their previous years accomplishments really says a lot since they are still getting used to a new coach. If people had looked at our accomplishments in 2007 I doubt they would have tought we would go undefeated in the regular season in 2008 or been national champs by 2009.
It's not who we play necessarily, but the fact that we play so many games in a row with teams that have an extra week to get healthy and develop schemes to confuse our new starters, much like SCar and UT did this year to GMac. The new starters will more than likely go through the same ordeal GMac did: information overload with no break to to let the knowledge sink in and instincts take over. This will be especially true in the secondary with Mark Barron the only returning starter, and he in only his second year at that. Remembering signals, blitzes, and film study may lead to hesitation, and hesitation in the secondary usually leads to one thing: getting a nice view of some guy's TD celebration. We will have to wait until next year to find out if these guys can step up and catch on as quick as some of the guys did this year (GMac, Carpenter, Nico, Barron, etc.)

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
Look at Nutt's history. He wins a game or two each year that he probably should not win. Of course he loses a game or two each year he has no business losing also. When he was at Arkansas, he dealt Alabama fits although probation was definitely a contributing factor to some of his success against Alabama.

Ole Miss loses a lot off of this years team, but I'm not predicting Ole Miss will upset Alabama. I do think they will win a game or two next year that they shouldn't win. Still this is the SEC. If you don't bring your A-game you can easily get beaten. This is a tough, tough conference and you cannot take any team lightly.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
At this point, I really can't see Ole Miss or Tennessee as causes for concern. Am I wrong?
I think you are right other than the tendency of Saban's teams to have a game or 2 every season (this year being UT and AU of all teams) where there is an unexpected struggle.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Funny. I thought that was the tendency for all teams.
Nope just a tendancy of NS...you know a few weeks out of the year he likes to take a few days off from practice and have a few beers...

Just so happened to be the Tenn. and Auburn games this year...lol

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Arkansas may very well be our most dangerous game of the year. Mallet is the top returning QB in the SEC, we will have very young corners and it's a road game, but Arkansas still has not shown they can stop anyone.
Precisely. I think our defense is going to be very strong again despite the losses. I think the DL will be improved provided it remains healthy. I look for some breakdowns due to inexperience in the secondary but I think the overall talent will make those mistakes less "fatal" so to speak than the past few seasons.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
It would not surprise me.

It seems he's always been a better coach when no one expects anything of his team and they can fly under the radar. I don't see any way he contends in the West, but he may suprise us and win more than we expect.
Nutt does have a very highly rated RB that hasn't blossomed yet named Enrique Davis he was a top ranked RB coming out of HS about 3 years ago. Auburn had him then Tubs hired Franklyn and he bolted for Miss.

BAMA504

Suspended
Jun 28, 2007
I think until arky finds out how to play defense they will always be a mid-level opponent and next year not much will change their defense is getting weaker but they will have a dangerous passing game...
Not to worried yet because we get them after a few games and our secondary should be better honestly next year except Javy not being there... Take Dre, Millner, Green, Barron, Scott and a host of others and we are just flat loaded for a Nickel package.. Add to that what should be an improved pass rush again and I like our chances of beating anyone running a spread offense more next year...
What scares me is can the run defense perform the same way it has the last few years withour Mt. Cody and Ro Mac but again there is just so much talent it is hard to imagine our defense slipping out of the top 5 next year~!~

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.