Link: F-bomb "Chizik steals Saban's Thunder"

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
RedStar was much maligned for posting this thread earlier this month. Finebaum thinks that Chizik has stolen "Saban's blue print."

link

While Alabama will be the preseason No. 1 pick, little will be expected -- at least nationally -- from Auburn. With the Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa, will simply hanging with the Tide count as another moral victory for Chizik?

For now, Auburn fans will likely remain upbeat and let the Chizik saga play out. The program has a steady pulse and significant progress has been made under the new regime.

And most important, and bothersome to Tide fans, Auburn has surprisingly stolen some of the thunder from Nick Saban during the afterglow of the national championship celebration.
I don't really consider it "bothersome." What say ye?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
They succeeded early on by 'throwing dust in the air" and making a lot of noise with the limo and goofily named recruiting weekends. This kept them from having to dwell on Bama's rise and their hiring of Chizik. When they had some recruiting success and the close game against Bama it gave them some substance to cling to. But it's still not a lot - certainly not in comparison to what Bama has. But they do have something to cling to for the moment and a local media that wants them competing with Bama so that the 'rivalry' can continue to stoke interest. Not until things play out on the field will reality set in. At some point they will become a contender (IMO, unlikely) or have to shut up. Bama fans will just have to enjoy what they have and let them rave on for the moment.

crimsonboy

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 1, 2008
Not until things play out on the field will reality set in. At some point they will become a contender (IMO, unlikely) or have to shut up.
I have stated more than once that the Aub's "success" is much like that of Dubose's recruitment of egos which eventually lead to an implosion of monumental proportion (a # 3 preseason ranking to just 3 wins). I have yet to see any other poster make a similar prediction leading me to believe that I'm setting myself up for a big fall for my wishful thinking.

Nonetheless, I can't help but believe that the Trooper/Luper method of recruitment involves everything from dealing with street agents to promising the recruit that he will start from day one. I do seem to recall that Chizik disciplined (yelled at) a player in the bowl game only to have Trooper chest bump him as the player walked past Chizik.

It seems that the Aub mindset is to become the "Miami" of the SEC, complete with "gangsta" assistants arriving at schools in pimped up SUV's. Thoughts anyone?

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
IMO, Bama has nothing to worry about from the Barn, at least not in the foreseeable future. They went 3-5 in the SEC last year, and barely eked out an overtime bowl win over Northwestern. About all they have to crow about is a decent recruiting class, but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while. If they do it every year like Saban does, then I might take notice. But right now, they are just Barners being Barners, and the media is trying to find something to write about.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
So, what was it exactly the barn has won? I must have missed it.

If the barn goes 12-0 next year, get back to me.

Till then, this is a non-story.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
IMO, Bama has nothing to worry about from the Barn, at least not in the foreseeable future. They went 3-5 in the SEC last year, and barely eked out an overtime bowl win over Northwestern. About all they have to crow about is a decent recruiting class, but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while. If they do it every year like Saban does, then I might take notice. But right now, they are just Barners being Barners, and the media is trying to find something to write about.

to be honest, their SEC record could be worst.

the Tennessee game was too close for comfort and the Ole Miss victory was due to Nutt's play calling and the inconsistency of Snead . they won the West Virginia game due in large parts to the WV QB (5 turnovers) . even with those victories, they were lucky to go bowling! when they did show up for the bowl game, they went toe to toe with the mighty Wildcats!!:biggrin:

they escape that game because the NW coach actually had cajonas to go for a win rather than a tie!!

jdavis3

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 25, 2010
does anyone honesty unbiased opinion only think cameron newton their quarterback can beat us?

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Not much was expected from the barn and they hauled in a very good class. Bama did the expected and hauled in a better class. One story is news, the other is not.
Posted via Mobile Device

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
It's just cute to me that with everything Chizik does, it has to be compared directly to Saban. Notice that when Saban does something, it stands alone and can be judged as its own body of work. But whatever the Cheese does has to be taken and measured with what Saban does/did.

And that's just fine with me. Because first of all, that just shows who the better coach is. And secondly, that same game will turn around and bite Chizik in the butt if he doesn't produce. AU fans and the media compare Chiz's first year at AU with Saban's first at Bama and say he did as good or better and proclaim it as a huge success. So I guess those same people would say that anything less than a 12-0 season and a BCS bowl berth in year two would be a disappointment, right? Everyone likes to talk about Alabama fans' unrealistic expectations...wait til they see AU fans reactions after just a little disappointment next year...ESPECIALLY if the Saban train keeps rolling along into the SECCG and/or NC game again.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.