Cinco de Mayo Menu

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
This will be the fifth annual Cinco de Mayo party my son has held. We aren't Mexican, we dont even have a Mexican mowing our lawn Cinco de Mayo is just a good excuse for the first outdoor patio party of the year.

In the past the menu has been tamales for three years till the tamale connection quit making them. Last year it was Fajitas but his Fajita girl moved away last month so he has this decision to make.

Buy tamales from another place. 8 dozen cost approx. $65. 8 dozen should feed 15.

Make Enchiladas. 5 dozen should feed 15, cost approx. $35.

Make your own Tacos. Meat, Taco shells, cheese, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa. Cost approx $35.

Invent the Cinco De Mayo hot dog. Hot dogs, buns, mustard, ketchup, chopped onion, pico de gallo, cheese, maybe chili. Cost approx $30.

Add Queso dip, salsa dip, chips and Mexican beer, turn on the Margarita machine and it's a party.

Which looks most appealing? Tamales, most expensive but least work. Dogs cheapest and not much work. Enchiladas and tacos a bit more work and may add beans with Enchiladas.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I would go with a taco/taco salad bar type of option. Easy and affordable and gives you that ethnic taste. By the same token, making fajitas, while a bit more expensive, would give you that sizzling meat smell that is so necessary in your summer cookout.

Hard to go wrong with any of the above.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Enchiladas are eliminated not enough pans to cook 5-6 dozen and keeping them warm will be a challenge.

Tamales can stay warm in crockpots, enchiladas tear up in crock pot.

Taco meat can stay warm in crockpot.

Dogs go from grill to bun.

3 cases of beer, 1 fifth of tequila, 1 fifth of rum, 1 fifth of vodka = @$100
Chips and dips = @$

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
Sending an invitation to TheOysterMan for this party, 42 cents...you left that part out :biggrin2:
Bayou...don't forget to sent an invite for your bash to my daughter who is a UA student and is bama_girl here on TideFans....Cinco de Mayo is her bday! She loves mexican food. :smile:

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Berryhill's in Houston (endorsed by me and Billy Gibbons) has great tamales but they may be out of reach for you.

I'd go with tamales given your constraints. You can do a variety - pork, chicken, spinach. Can you do fajitas? Pretty easy with a big grill.
Posted via Mobile Device

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Berryhill's in Houston (endorsed by me and Billy Gibbons) has great tamales but they may be out of reach for you.

I'd go with tamales given your constraints. You can do a variety - pork, chicken, spinach. Can you do fajitas? Pretty easy with a big grill.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't make tamales too much work to make a big batch and our tamale guy quit making them. My son has found a couple of places in town that make tamales he says are pretty good and they sell them for around $8 per dozen. We would need about 8 dozen for everyone to have 6, some may eat less and some may eat more. Would also do refried beans to go with the tamales. Doubt my son would travel over 300 miles round trip for tamales.

We did fajitas last year and my son doesnt feel like repeating that besides it is more work chopping and slicing than he feels like doing. The hot dog is looking better and better to him and I dont care which way he winds up going but the dog party would be cheaper for him. I really hope my old tamale guy calls and says bring me the stuff and I will make you a batch.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I don't make tamales too much work to make a big batch and our tamale guy quit making them. My son has found a couple of places in town that make tamales he says are pretty good and they sell them for around $8 per dozen. We would need about 8 dozen for everyone to have 6, some may eat less and some may eat more. Would also do refried beans to go with the tamales. Doubt my son would travel over 300 miles round trip for tamales.

We did fajitas last year and my son doesnt feel like repeating that besides it is more work chopping and slicing than he feels like doing. The hot dog is looking better and better to him and I dont care which way he winds up going but the dog party would be cheaper for him. I really hope my old tamale guy calls and says bring me the stuff and I will make you a batch.
300 miles. Their tamales aren't THAT good :). Have yall consider meatless chili?
Posted via Mobile Device

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Hey Bayou.....Why don't you guys have Sonoran Hot Dogs?

Sonoran Hot Dog
I was going to bring this thread back to let you know how the party went and totally missed this last post which is the best!!!

We had tamales, chili sauce, nachos, salsa dip, cheese dip, guacamole dip and lots of chips. Drinks were, Mexican beers assorted, Margaritas, tequila shots and lime jello shots with tequila and melon liquor.

The hot dog party was argued right up till we bought tamales at $6.50 per dozen for 10 dozen ($1.50 per dozen discount). 12 people ate 5 dozen tamales then filled up on nachos and dips. The tamales were really, really good.

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
We did our own sonoran hot dogs a couple weeks ago...man they were really good! I can't remember at this time the name of the mexican rolls that are used for these but we were able to find them at our local Krogers

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
We did our own sonoran hot dogs a couple weeks ago...man they were really good! I can't remember at this time the name of the mexican rolls that are used for these but we were able to find them at our local Krogers
Bolillo rolls. :)

I hear the latest condiment they are adding is crushed potato chips.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
I was going to bring this thread back to let you know how the party went and totally missed this last post which is the best!!!

We had tamales, chili sauce, nachos, salsa dip, cheese dip, guacamole dip and lots of chips. Drinks were, Mexican beers assorted, Margaritas, tequila shots and lime jello shots with tequila and melon liquor.

The hot dog party was argued right up till we bought tamales at $6.50 per dozen for 10 dozen ($1.50 per dozen discount). 12 people ate 5 dozen tamales then filled up on nachos and dips. The tamales were really, really good.
How many bathrooms was available? :) Hope ya'll were outside.

Seriously, wish I was there.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
How many bathrooms was available? :) Hope ya'll were outside.

Seriously, wish I was there.
Three toilets inside plus a big tree in the back yard and a spot between the fence and the house. Yes it was all done outside. :) There was eating, drinking and talking for a while then out came the PS3 and all the Rock Band gear. The patio has a 32" Samsung flatscreen TV hung from a beam with surround sound speakers. There is also a computer at the bar to look up drink recipes and play video poker. It was a fine party, you know it was good when you find four or five people sleeping in the living room and den the next morning.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.