Doctor's orders

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
So I visit my doctor this last week to get some test results. They found some scar tissue on my lower left lung and did a lower leg exam and didn't find any blood clots. They didn't find any money either but at least the tests came back good. The doctor didn't change any medication but told me to take over the counter vitamin D and B12. He also suggested I cut back on potatoes and rice.

I am a grazer, I eat several small meals each day instead of two or three large meals. I don't load up at buffets and rarely go back for seconds. I estimate I eat some kind of potato or rice dish one third of the meals I eat maybe a little less because I do like pasta.

What other substitutes can I use for that particular part of the meal I feel I have to have. I picked up some cous cous and a pan of dressing will work for me.

Need some ideas.

You eat grits? I eat them at least once a day. I do not know if they are necessarily healthier than potatoes or rice, but at least they change things up a little here and there.

I've got to change a few of my eating habits myself. Some of our managers in our company have decided to have a weight loss challenge ... i have ordered the P90x and will start it in a couple of weeks. My downfall is not desserts or fried foods, but probably sauces and bread. That is the biggest thing I will have to cut back on.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
You eat grits? I eat them at least once a day. I do not know if they are necessarily healthier than potatoes or rice, but at least they change things up a little here and there.

I've got to change a few of my eating habits myself. Some of our managers in our company have decided to have a weight loss challenge ... i have ordered the P90x and will start it in a couple of weeks. My downfall is not desserts or fried foods, but probably sauces and bread. That is the biggest thing I will have to cut back on.
I'm a grit eatin' fool. :) Anytime I fry eggs for breakfast I have to have a puddle of grits and have been known to make a bowl of grits for a snack. I'm not a fan of things like shrimp and grits though.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
Dressing ... yummm!!! How about substituting rice & potatoes with broccoli and cauliflower steamed & topped with cheese, homemade Mac & Cheese, pasta salad, dumplings, squash, cabbage, carrots, creamed spinach, corn, or parsnips.

It's a shame you can't have sweet potatoes ... good nutrients and vitamin A.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Dressing ... yummm!!! How about substituting rice & potatoes with broccoli and cauliflower steamed & topped with cheese, homemade Mac & Cheese, pasta salad, dumplings, squash, cabbage, carrots, creamed spinach, corn, or parsnips.

It's a shame you can't have sweet potatoes ... good nutrients and vitamin A.
Thanks I didn't even think about dumplings. I can have potatoes and rice just need to cut back and sweet potatoes are not on the same list as white potatoes. We should be digging our first crop of purple potatoes in a few days but they are on the same list as the rice and white potatoes. They sure are pretty mixed with red skin potatoes in a potato salad.

I

It's On A Slab

Have you tried quinoa? Techically, it's not a grain, but related to broccoli (believe it or not).

Also, check out Israeli pearl couscous. It cooks a lot slower than your regular couscous, and the grains are huge (like pearls). They have a buttery flavor that reminds me of grits.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Have you tried quinoa? Techically, it's not a grain, but related to broccoli (believe it or not).

Also, check out Israeli pearl couscous. It cooks a lot slower than your regular couscous, and the grains are huge (like pearls). They have a buttery flavor that reminds me of grits.
I haven't seen quinoa in the store here but maybe I need to look harder and I do like broccoli. I have tried the Israeli couscous and we both like it.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I've had mashed cauliflower before and liked it. It's a good substitute for mashed potatoes if you like cauliflower.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.