"Hobbits just supporting characters in "Rings"....by Roger Ebert

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I have started re-reading LOTR again also. In the prologue it is stated that the books are often called "The Trilogy" by mistake. The LOTR is one book written in three parts and often sold in three covers.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
bayou, I guess it's just easier to call it a trilogy than to call it "one long book conveniently divided into three sections and sometimes sold in three covers."

Whatever you call it, I love it. I'll re-reread the second section just before the second movie comes out next December.

Tonight, on one of the entertainment-oriented shows, the comment was made that both Harry Potter and LOTR:FOTR are geared toward younger audiences. Huh? I don't think so. LOTR:FOTR is terribly scary for children. I wouldn't want my 11-year-old granddaughter to see it, at least for a year or two. I doubt seriously that he even saw it. All he knows is that fantasy=children.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I was checking out the audience in the lobby before the show. I went to the very first showing on opening day and the age was from I would guess late teens to middle age. Very few kids were in attendance. I agree LOTR is definately more grown up than Henry Potter.

------------------
At a Red Elephant Club meeting Dennis Franchione was asked why he came to Alabama. "To win a National championship" was his answer. "Just one?" was their reply.

"STRENGTH AND HONOR" Russell Crowe in Gladiator

SNASS - bayoutider

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
I checked out the audience, too; it seemed to me the majority were middle-aged. I would say that 75-90 percent of the people who came had read the book.

I didn't expect orcs to be quite that ugly!

I am really pumped to see how they handle the heroic pursuit of the Uruk-Hai by Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas. That supreme teat of strength and endurance did much to establish the characters of all three.

In every course or treatise on writing that I ever experienced, the elementary rule was this: you must establish the character of your fictional protagonistas and antagonists by showing them in action. No amount of description will take the place of one clean action scene. Put your guy in a situation, and let the reader see how he reacts: until you do that, nothing you have said will be believable.

In that long chase, we come to appreciate some very significant things about these three: they take their oaths of loyalty to the fellowship VERY seriously; they have exraordinary powers of endurance; Aragorn and Legolas are trackers of the finest caliber; and when they meet Eomer on the plains of Rohan, Aragorn is further revealed as a person of lineage and hidden greatness.

And that is when Gimli takes extreme exception to disparaging words spoken about Galadriel, in one of the most amusing scenes in the entire trilogy.

It promises to be a great beginning to the next movie!!

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.