"Monsoon" by Wilbur Smith

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
I have been a faithful reader of Wilbur Smith for twenty-five years or so. He is a South African writer who has produced a long list of novels, almost all of them having to do with Africa and it rich history. He writes a strong story, and although his books are predictable, his knowledge of African history and customs is so encyclopaedic, and his descriptions of its people so entertaining and rich, I can not resist any new book of his that comes out.

You could hardly go wrong in picking just about anything he has written. I would suggest a visit to your library, where they will have (without doubt) a large collection of his novels.

Monsoon is a continuation of the story of a family of Courtneys (later generations settled South Africa and got deeply into ivory hunting, gold mining, and diamond mining) who are, essentially, pirates; although they usually have some kind of Letter of Marque or Privateering dispensation from the King of England.

This book is swift-moving, and covers about twenty years or so. It includes some good ship-to-ship action and a long soujourn into the heart of the continent, involving ivory hunting and the slave trade.

Another good book by Wilbur Smith. A good example of the kind of thing he offers in all of his novels.

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

The Tusk

Scout Team
Oct 13, 1999
RI
I'm reading this book for the third time (nothing new out there that tickles my fancy - or that I haven't read). Smith's books are "rollicking good reads", to steal a phrase from the book reviews. He keeps you interested, is historically accurate in the details (ie - ship design, seemingly unrelated historical events, etc.) and weaves a good story. It's worth the $6 to pick up a paperback by Smith to see if you want to get the rest of his books.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.