Request for Bobstod

porkchop

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2000
Cocoa Beach
Request for Bobstod

Hey Bob . Could you give us the Braxton Bragg sketch ?

I have enjoyed the initial thread on Ewell and am interested to see your take on ( who I consider ) the most dispized general in either army . I think Bragg just wins in a 3 way race with Union generals Pope and McClellan .

------------------
"Crimson Tide. The polite way of saying bloodbath".

Craig Kilborne Show

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Chop , I will have to plead ignorance and call for help . My focus since 1966 has been Gettysburg , with some delving into Chancellorsville and Fredricksburg .

I would like to hear some opinions on him from others , because I truthfully did not know that he had such a sullied reputation among Civil War buffs .

Bragg was eventually commander of the Army of Tennessee , and saw a lot of combat on both the winning and losing sides of battles . Before that , however , he was commander of his own state militia in North Carolina ; and his initial assignment during the war was command of the region between Mobile , Alabama and Pensacola , Florida ; which happens to be exactly the area I call home .

My mother has written a couple of books about the area , including Fort Morgan . I will ask her if she has any Braxton Bragg files . She keeps files on everything ! She ' s 89 years old , and I ' m lucky to be able to ask her anything !

Would you say that Bragg ' s unpopularity is due to his having been whipped and forced to retreat from Chattanooga , or to his personality , which I understand was quite sour ? Or perhaps for his profligate usage of troops ? At Chickmauga , I have read that his victory cost 13 , 700 Confederate losses as compared to the Union loss of 1200 .

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

porkchop

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2000
Cocoa Beach
I ' m sorry . This is a Gettysburg thread isn ' t it ?! Haha ! Slap me one time . I got caught up in the whole CW thing .

Just a side note though . As far as Bragg goes , he had a terrible personality by all accounts , and was little better as a general . It was N . B . Forrest who once said he would " slap his ( Bragg ' s ) jowls ". Bragg had quite a talent for ****ing off just about everyone around him . If I ' m not mistaken the quote was taken during the Chickamauga battle .
I think your number on Union casualties is a typo . The numbers of wounded and dead were very bad on both sides . Looks like you left a " 0 " out of the Union figures there .
By all accounts , the Chickamauga victory could have been a major setback for the Union had Bragg pushed his advantage . He had the entire Union army in route yet because of his casualties " was unwilling to beleive he had achieved a great victory " as one source puts it . He decided not to pursue the defeated Union army , ala Meade at Gettysburg . That was when Forrest , utterly disgusted at yet another mismanagement , unloaded on Bragg . Even going so far as calling him a coward , which I do not beleive Bragg was . I think he was a bad general is all . I admire Bragg ' s concern for his men . That ' s about the nicest thing I can say about Braxton Bragg .

I visited Lookout Mtn about 2 years ago when my mother lived in Scottsboro . Enjoyed it a lot . They have a nice park there . I remember telling my mother and wife that if you had given me a few thousand men , no one could push me off this mountain . Anyone who has ever been to Lookout Mtn can attest to what I mean . How Union forces even made it up the mountain is a mystery to me .
I think it has more to do with Bragg ' s generalship and his army ' s moral more than anything . The guy lost almost every battle he ever fought . The only thing that kept him in charge was Jeff Davis , who was a close personal friend .

The best thing Davis ever did for the Army of Tennessee was put John Bell Hood in command . Although Hood ' s command was a disaster , he was a fighter of great stature , and commanded emmediate respect from his men . From the reports I ' ve seen ( I also have his memoirs , and I ' m sure they are biased
) the moral of the AofT was greatly improved when fighting under Hood . Atleast he fought . He attacked his enemy instead of constantly retreating . The men seem to apreciate this spirit a lot more than constant retreat and re - deployment .
I do think Hood mismanaged the army and was a far better commander at the division level . But at the same time , he was given a group of " losers " at a point in the war in which he could not possibly succeed .

Just my opinion .

------------------
"Crimson Tide. The polite way of saying bloodbath".

Craig Kilborne Show

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.