Peach Cobbler question

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
This past weekend Mrs. Reb and I were out running around and we stopped by a little orchard market. We tasted a couple of their fresh peaches, then bought a basket full. :cool: I was really looking forward to having a fresh peach in the evening. But...while I was working the other day she decided instead to bake a peach cobbler. (And yes, she used them all. :frown:) It looked really good on the outside,:) but when we dug a spoonful out from the center it was far less than done. In fact, it was still mush :puke:
I wasn't really surprised because of her long time (and seemingly unbreakable) habit of turning the heat up a lot higher than it should be, I guess in hopes of it 'getting done faster'. :eek2:
So instead of putting it right back into the oven, she decided that she'd finish it the next day, and she put it in the refrigerator, where it still sits. :mad2:
I really don't think I even need to ask this, but I'll throw this out there anyway.
Is it Salvageable, or Slop? :conf3:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
You never know till you try but try to get her to break that habit of turning up the heat.

You don't think I've tried? I have tried. For over 20 years I've tried. But regardless of what I try to teach her, it's like she has Alzheimer's or something. She listens but she doesn't remember a thing I teach her. (And women accuse men of not listening to them??)

If it's not burned beyond edibility it's so bland and tasteless I wouldn't feed it to my neighbor's dog. I ask her if she put salt or pepper in something she cooks and she says "No, I forgot. I'm sorry". Huh? You Forgot? :eek2: :eek2:
To tell the truth I don't think she even knows what spices are even for. That's why I do most of the cooking.

About the only thing I haven't tried is to tell her to stay the **** out of the kitchen. :mad2:

Sorry this turned into a rant. No, wait a minute. I'm not sorry either. I just had to get that off my chest. I feel much better now. :)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
LOL. when I met my wife she knew how to make oatmeal, rice, bake a chicken breast and pour cereal into a bowl and I am not lying. She does much better now but still does limited cooking at our house.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
This is a prime example of why my husband does the lion's share of the cooking in our house. I do the baking. Still, he is the more naturally-gifted cook. I can follow a recipe and take much pride in my baking, but take the recipe away and I'm lost in the kitchen.

Does your wife not know how to follow a recipe, or does she just think they are "suggestions?" :)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
This is a prime example of why my husband does the lion's share of the cooking in our house. I do the baking. Still, he is the more naturally-gifted cook. I can follow a recipe and take much pride in my baking, but take the recipe away and I'm lost in the kitchen.

Does your wife not know how to follow a recipe, or does she just think they are "suggestions?" :)
Mine can follow a recipe but is such a slow reader. :)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
What's unusual is that when I cook, her brother and sister both want to come over to eat.

I really shouldn't complain about her cooking though. I've tasted her sister's cooking too, and to say her cooking sucks would be a compliment. And they both learned from their mother. Have you ever seen anyone freeze and reheat a dish (like turnip or collard greens) 5 or 6 times? :eek:

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
Think the last time I baked a cobbler, it was at 375 for about 30 minutes. Much longer than that & I imagine it would turn to mush.

Sorry Bama Red -- your post did make me chuckle! :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.