Entre: Bama Stew (repost by popular demand)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I had a request to repost this recipe for someone who lost theirs. I have to say I don't always follow this recipe to the letter but try to. We make a much scaled down version of this using short ribs, canned succotash (corn and limas), potatoes a carrot or two and stalk of celery, tomatoes, and a handfull of frozen green beans and peas. Still use the onions and tomato products to make about 3 quarts which are gone in a couple of meals.

Bayoutider's Bama Stew

Ingredients & Instructions:

2 lg onions, chopped
3-4 bay leaves
4 cloves garlic crushed
salt and pepper
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
Water
I make prime rib for Christmas Dinner and make my Bama Stew shortly after using the ribs from the standing rib roast. I find these bones to have the best flavor but bones from a roast, leftover T-bones, rib bones, and soup bones work well. You can also use canned beef broth with less spectacular results or beef bullion cubes. Good bones will leave a little fat sheen on the surface of your soup which will tell you the soup will be rich in flavor.

I use a 16 qt pot. Scale this down to your size but this soup freezes well.

If using new bones, put them in the pot over low heat cover the pot and let them roast for about 30 min. Then add the water, onion, garlic, salt&pepper, thyme, oregano, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer for about 2 hours. Remove bones, strip off meat and set aside. Give bones to dog. Strain broth and return to pot.

4 lbs red potatoes peeled and cut in pieces
5-6 carrots chopped or bag of baby carrots
2 bags frozen corn
1 bag frozen english peas
1 bag frozen cut green beans
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 bell pepper diced
1 lg onion lg chop
1 8oz can baby limas
1 32oz can stewed tomatoes
2 32 oz cans crushed tomatoes
as much stew meat as you want to add if the bones were lean.
More Salt & Pepper
8-10 shakes tobasco sauce
1/2 cup sugar
optional: 1/2 head of cabbage chopped

Season extra meat and brown in a pan before putting into pot of beef broth. add potatoes, celery, bell pepper, and carrots now. Bring to boil and cook for 15 min. add canned tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, baby limas and frozen veggies. If needed add more water, by now the pot is full to about 2 inches from the top. add sugar, tobasco and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Bring back to boil, cover and lower heat to simmer for up to an hour. Check potatoes and carrots for tenderness. Make final adjustments to seasoning, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, sugar. if adjustments are made simmer uncovered another 15 min before serving.

Serve with hot cornbread or crackers.

Put leftovers in gallon freezer bags after soup has cooled. When reheating soup add small can of tomato sauce and can of water to bring back the soup.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.