Time to put up corn!!!

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
My Mom bought two bushels last week and put up 28 bags of corn. She literally has to put sheets up in the kitchen -- the scraping makes a mess. And of course, she wouldn't dream about purchasing a scraper ... she likes to do it with a sharp knife so that she gets every drop of the juices!

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
My Mom bought two bushels last week and put up 28 bags of corn. She literally has to put sheets up in the kitchen -- the scraping makes a mess. And of course, she wouldn't dream about purchasing a scraper ... she likes to do it with a sharp knife so that she gets every drop of the juices!
Here's a hint - blanch the corn before you cut it off. Makes much less of a mess. We put up corn outside - shuck and silk, then blanch in a big fish cooker. After blanching, we put the cobs in ice water to cool them down, then cut off the corn.

RamJamHam

Suspended
Jan 28, 2009
This brings back lots of memories, although both my father and grandmother used corn cutters. I can remember both of them struggling to get the blade set at the right height and to keep the cutter still on top of the roasting pan that was catching the corn.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
This brings back lots of memories, although both my father and grandmother used corn cutters. I can remember both of them struggling to get the blade set at the right height and to keep the cutter still on top of the roasting pan that was catching the corn.
Not to mention running the heel of your palm across one of them - OUCH!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.