Weber smoky mountain smoker

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I have a Brinkman that I got from Wal-Mart a few years ago that has that same 3 tier concept. The Brinkman is square and has a door that makes it much easier to load, unload and clean though. I like it just fine and it was only about $60-70 bucks. Might be worth checking out before you buy the Weber.

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
I thought about purchasing the Weber smoker because I heard it is one of the best on the market. However, I've decided for the time being to build my own smoker using a 55 Gallon Metal Drum. I can build my own smoker for about 1/3 the cost of purchasing the Weber, plus it's fun just to have a project to work on. I purchased my drum this past weekend and am now about half way finished. I'll probably purchase the Weber Smoker at some point in the future if I'm not satisfied with my own concoction.

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
Got any project pics?
Not yet. So far, I have sanded down the outside of the drum, and drilled my holes so that I can install the racks, temp gauge, and air vents. I bought the drum at a farmer's Co-op for $17. They left it sitting outside for a few days and it had a little surface rust on one side, but nothing a little sanding couldn't take care of. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to do a "burn out" in the drum, which is basically just loading it full of wood and letting the wood burn to clean out the inside real good. I bought some high-temp engine paint at the auto parts store. I plan to paint it up Crimson and White for tailgating.

Here is a link to a forum that has all the information you would ever need to build one of these things:

Pics! Our UDS Cooker (and How to Build One) - Part 1

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
Cool. I see the barrel sits upright. I thought you were talking about one of the numbers with the barrel cut in half long ways with a smoker box on the side. Never seen one like this.
Yeah, there is really very little to do to build it since it sits upright. The great thing is that the lid of a 22 inch Weber Kettel grill will fit right over the top, and the grates fit perfectly inside. I'm still building mine, but from what I understand, there is really no need to constantly refuel as a single load of charcoal will usually last 12 hours or more...some claim 24 hours. The temperature is mainly controlled by the vents at the bottom. Most people drill 3 holes at the bottom for vents, and then partially close one or two of the vents to keep the temperature at a constant 200 - 250 degrees for low and slow smoking. With this method you are cooking directly (although at least 24 inches above the coals), and it allows the juices from the meat to drip back onto the coals which provides extra flavor.

My only setback as of now is that I needed a step drill bit to drill the 1" holes for vents at the bottom. Luckily, I found a suitable step drill bit for $14.99 + shipping on the Harbor Freight website (at Lowe's they were $40). Other than that, it's just a matter of having the time to do the burn out, and making sure my neighbors don't freak out when they see a blazing fire eminating from the barrel. :smile:

Last edited:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
My ex father in law was a master of the 55 gal drum pit. He used to line the bottom of his with fire brick mud, said it made the drum last longer. We see a lot of roadside stands down here using 55 gal drums selling all kinds of food mostly chicken, goat or fish.

I remember when this little unit cost $1500 and you pick it up in Houston or they would deliver for shipping cost.

Backyard Chef
Horizon Smokers are another good choice and the price is not too bad. I looked at the 16" Ranger yeaterday at the Bass Pro Shop here in Orlando and was impressed. Very well made and HEAVY. The 16" Classic is 325 pounds and the 16" Ranger is 570 pounds. They also make both in a 20" size

Horizon Smoker 16'' Classic Backyard Smoker

Horizon Smoker 16'' Ranger Backyard Smoker

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.