Okay, how's everyone's gardens doing?

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Mine aren't doing worth a flip. I have big beautiful plants, peppers and tomatoes. They bloom like crazy, but for some reason they aren't producing tomatoes and peppers. The peppers put on put on tiny little peppers and then they just fall off. One hot banana pepper plant has produced 3 of the biggest banana peppers I've ever seen, but only those 3. :conf3: Same thing with the tomatoes, lots of blooms, but no maters. Getting tired of paying $2.48 a pound for maters at Wal-Mart. :(

Maybe I should just plant some radishes, those things are almost foolproof and produce practically overnight.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Ours aren't doing well either Tommy but our back yard is so small and most of that is taken up by a motorhome/boat and trailer that we plant in buckets and hanging baskets.

One thing is doing well and that's eggplant,peppers are few and far between. We drove over to Elberta this morning and got tomatoes from a local farmer for 30 cents a pound,kind of offsets our lack of production.

We just bought a rain barrel and compost bin which we've never had before. I'm not sure which board to post on to get some tips on how to use them but any hints would be greatly appreciated.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
My garden is off to a roaring start.

I have gotten about 6 lbs of squash in the last week since the first batch started putting out.

My jalapenos & banana peppers are coming along good. I have gotten a dozen or so off them in the last few days.

Onions are doing good.

Maters are still green but should start to turn ripe in the next week or so.

Cantaloupes and bell peppers have been slow to take off. Maybe they will come on.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
With a 12 month growing season here we have fresh veggies all year long. Some heirloom tomatoes are loading the vines now and there is a lot of corn, squash, beans and peppers. We have some melons, lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, carrots and turnips ready to eat so we are doing pretty good. Planted a few peanuts that arent ready and there are no bananas yet but we are picking mangos, apples, lemons and limes.

We use some 55 gal plastic barrels that soap came in for compost. drill 1/2" holes in the sides for vents and add compost. We also add rabbit droppings and some dirt to the yard clippings and kitchen refuse. To mix tip the barrel over and roll it around they have a locking top. We use more of these barrels to catch rain water for the flower beds. There is a inline valve for a garden hose to attach at the bottom of the barrel. I happened upon these barrels by being at the right place at the right time, they were going to be thrown away and I took all of them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.