...calling BamaCLM and all other readers of fantasy...

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
I am in the mood for a good three-book series (possibly more) with a medieval flavor, good characters, and an engaging plot.

I have been cruising Amazon, but so far have not happened on the one collection that grabs my fancy.

I have read the three Geroge R. R. Martin Fire and Ice books. Doesn't he have another series?

Who else is good?

This board has atrophied; not in small measure because of my own neglect as I write this genealogy book that has taken so much of my time. I would like to get something started again, and since I'm hungering for another world-building book, I am trying to decide on a GOOD one.

But if somebody happens to stop by here and has a compelling suggestion, I'm game for anything.

Winter is coming! Let's get something started on the Bookends Board!!!!

------------------
ALABAMA : Tradition ; Class ; A name to respect in College Football

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
After some further research, I wonder if anyone has read all the Terry Brooks Sword of Shannarra novels? Apparently they start with a trilogy, but there are eventually ten in the series.

I am going to try to find the first book in the library and see if I like it.

Give me a report if you know these books!

Thanks...B

------------------

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
Yippee Bob. Yes let's see if we can get something going. I read the Terry Brooks Shannara series YEARS ago, and as I remember enjoyed the first 2 or 3. It was though, IMO, a JRR Tolkien wantabe-type series, and very, very dark. But I would be willing to try at least the first one again.

I had mentioned on another thread the Darwith trilogy by Barbara Hambly. This includes The Time of the Dark,, The Walls of Air and The Armies of Daylight. Unfortunately, they are out of print and could only be purchased second hand at Amazon.

If you like SF, I suggest C. J. Cherryh's triology The Faded Sun, which includes Kutath, Shon'jir, and Kesrith. This is great world building and especially "alien building". I love these books and reread them every so often. The humans come off pretty good in this series too!!
These books are probably out of print too, I haven't checked.

Have you ever read David Eddings? He certainly is not in the same league as George RR Martin, but his Belgariad has some likable characters and lots of gods and wizards and "wizardesses"
They are a good fast read, and if you like them, he also has another "ology", the Elenium. Both of these sets have about 6 books in them.

Let me know what you decide, and I hope lots of other folks will join us and we can get this old book board back to cooking (or reading
)

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Hey Carolyn!

Didn't Eddings write the "White Gold Wielder" books, about a guy that keeps jumping back and forth between worlds, and is a leper? Had some interesting giants in the first book, as I remember. I have seen his books for years, but I don't think I ever read any but the ones above (if they are his).

I'm watching the Saints game, which is not close right now. Let me go on line and see about Eddings and Cherryh...

------------------

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Carolyn, I couldn't find a way to get the Hambly books without ordering them one at a time from a bunch of different shippers. The Cherryh series presented the same kind of problems...and I'm in the mood to get started!

I ordered two different R.A. Salvatore collections, that are offered as single books. They concern a dark elf. I will have to go back and find out the names, because the phone interrupted me and I forgot to write them down.

I had seen Salvatore's books in a used paperback store on Friday, but only found the odd book of any series, of course.

I will get the information and post it...

------------------

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Carolyn, the two collections are The Dark Elf Trilogy, which contains Homeland, Exile, and Soujourn; and The Icewind Dale Trilogy, which contains The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, and The Halfling's Gem.

I believe the Icewind Trilogy is the beginning of the tale (both books concern the same protagonist). From the editorial and readers' reviews, they sound like exactly the kind of thing I'm searching for (since I can't have the Jaran novels over again!)

They are 13.67 each, I think; and if you order both shipping is free.

If you're only getting one, I think we should begin with Icewind.

I'm excited that you found my post! I hope some others will join us...

------------------

[This message has been edited by bobstod (edited October 13, 2002).]

PellCityBAMA

Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Bernard Cornwell of Sharpe's and Starbuck fame has a 3 book series about the Arthur legends. It's pretty good.

Pillars of the Earth is good as well. It's only one book, but is about 900 pages paperback. It's by Ken Follett.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
PCB, Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorites! I have only read it one time, too; so I might give it another try sometime soon.

I Had not heard of the Cornwell series.

These Salvatore books look very good, though. Why don't you join us?

------------------

PellCityBAMA

Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I might check them out. I'll have to see what the birthday stash brings. I usually get lots of books for my birthday. I have big 31 coming up on the 23rd. If I don't read it then, I may check into them when the dozen or so new ones have been whittled down.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
There are a lot of ingredients that go in to making a good family; but a family that gives books as presents has a wonderful beginning!

I can't think of a better gift to a child than to pass on a love of reading...

------------------

PellCityBAMA

Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
My wife and I read to our 10 month old and 2 1/2 year old each night. It's lots of fun. My little boy will go grab the drawer handle where we keep his books saying "book mommieee, book daddieee" if he thinks we're not going to read on a given night.

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
FWIW, Stephen R. Donaldson wrote the White Gold Wielder series. I haven't read any of them, but I am told they are good.

I have read some 2500 pages of the Martin saga and there is no book ready and I have all these characters scattered about or dead. How can I enjoy this so much? Any idea about when the next one is due?

I have also read Shadow Puppets by Card. It is readable, but I thought it weaker than some of the other books in the Ender series.

I have finally started Hyperion. I have read about 100 pages and it seems pretty good. It has won a lot of awards. There is at least one more book in the series and I think more, but I am not sure. It is more sci-fi than fantasy. It seems like it may be trying to develop a full blown spiritual crisis that may prove very interesting. I am glad to see life on this board again. I would probably have posted about the books I had read, but didn't know if anyone was out there. I don't read as much as I would like, but I keep plugging along. Great to see you out here Bob and Carolyn!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Hey, Stan!
I hope we can resusitate the old Bookends Board and get some more lively discussions going.

Wow! You are right about Donaldson. It has been 15 or 20 years since I read those books (time just flies when you're having fun), and his name had escaped me.

I am leaving today for Delaware (for two weeks or so), and I have ordered the R.A.Salvatore books to be delivered up there. Meantime, I have discovered Elmore Leonard, and just finished Cuba Libre, and picked up Hombre and Out of Sight from the library for the plane ride.

Leonard writes with humor and style, and his characters are great. His dialogue is sometimes VERY good...he intersperses it with enough description that you can deduce a lot about the person's character by the way he talks.

I hope you will get the Salvatore books, Stan. If you want to wait a bit, I will have mine in about a week or less; I will post an early evaluation as soon as I can. I
DID find several of his novels in our small public library here in Foley, so in a larger library you might find a bunch of them.

I'll check in tomorrow from the condo.

Carolyn, where are you?

------------------

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
Here I am. Hey everyone. Bob, I have been reading some of the reviews on the first book of the Dark Elf Trilogy, and I think I may wait to get your opinion before I commit myself to buying it. It seems to be based on Dungeons & Dragons, and I wonder how deep it is, and how much character is developed in it. Besides this, I am leaving next week to drive to Canada to see my sister, whose computer seems to have bitten the dust (as my phone bills will attest!), so I will be out of contact for awhile.

I seem to have gotten hooked on "This Old House", and they were renovating an old house in Savannah, and talking and showing the sights regarding "Midnight in the Garden of Evil". I wonder if that book could be considered for reading and/or re-reading and discussion. Just a thought, and certainly not anywhere near the type of book you are wanting to read at this time, but like you, I suddenly got a "yen".

Anyway, I can't imagine being sans computer anymore. I will have plenty to catch up on when I get back. I don't leave until the 25th, so I will be checking back in here before then. Please let us all know what you think of the Elf. I have had to cut down drastically on my book buying, but I do have a library in my town.

Carolyn

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
BTW, Carolyn, that was Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and the movie was VERY good.

I did not read the book, but Barbara did. We may even have it.

But, I have to see what this dark elf is going to be like first. I (of course) never played Dungeons and Dragons, but my eldest son was into it for a while, and I got a rough understanding of what it was about.

The Icewind Dale books are Salvatore's first offering, I believe; and I have read that the second set, Darkelf Trilogy is better, being a second effort and the author having learned what worked well in the first attempt.

I, however, am a little stubborn about things like that. I like to start at the beginning of things, even if the climb is longer. So I will read the Icewind books first, and give you a report. Keep in mind, however, that the next trilogy is supposed to be better.

I don't know how long I will be up here (in my condo in Delaware). I got as far as Philadelphia before I learned by cel phone that my mother had fallen and broken her hip. My father (stepfather, really) has macular degeneration and is almost blind, so somebody has to be there. My brother Tom has driven down from B'ham and is staying in my house for the time being.

Unfortunately, Barbara wrecked our car a few days ago, and I had to tell my sad story to the body shop folks to even get it looked at before the second week in November. So, I may have to fly home, then fly back and drive down when the car is fixed.

Mom was concious this morning (going in for surgery later today), and seemed in good spirits. They say that they can pin the break and she will be walking tomorrow. Eight weeks of rehab, though. That's going to be tough on a small woman 91 years young.

So, I will be doing my reading in between seeing about aging parents...something we all have to do eventually, if we are lucky enough for our parents to survive to old age.

I fininshed Hombre on the way up; a short but exquisitely written novel that was made into a movie starring Paul Newman. Now I have to go rent the movie, because even though this was one of Leonard's first books, it is so compact and so good that I have to see how well they captured it in the movie.

Cuba Libre was written much later, but is related (remotely) and the protagonist uses the same extreme economy of expression to reveal what his innermost thoughts are. Both lead characters see custom and morality with the same clear headedness and with the same brevity of bullsh*t, if you get my drift. Excellent books, both.

I am into Out of Sight now, and will probably finish it tonight or tomorrow if I don't get tied down with auto repairs.

Make some new posts about what you are reading! Let's bring this board back to life. Anybody heard from LTBF lately?

------------------

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.