Question: 4* CB Chris Jones?

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
We have offered and he grew up a Bama fan, but awbarn offered first so we're currently playing a bit of catch up.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
its a funny thing, he is listed as 6' feet tall on Rivals and they rate him a 4 star.

on Scout, he is listed as 5'10 and rated a 3 star.

per Rivals, no Bama offer and all schools listed are of medium interest.

per Scout, he has a Bama offer and he is "high" on auburn.

whatever...:rolleyes:

Trobinson97

All-SEC
Sep 4, 2008
We have offered and he grew up a Bama fan, but awbarn offered first so we're currently playing a bit of catch up.

Think we caught up:cool2:

Chris Jones, Scout.com three-star cornerback from Adamsville-Minor, Ala., is one of the top uncommitted prospects in the South. He has more than 20 scholarship offers and will begin taking official visits in the near future. One school is no longer a favorite...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
As previously mentioned, Jones grew up an Alabama fan, and if we really go after him we will likely get his commitment / signature.

Auburn jumped in on this kid first, and he was pretty high on them. Since then, however, Alabama has offered and at this point he has all but eliminated Auburn. At the end of the day, he'll take his visits and look around, but it would be a major surprise if he ended up anywhere but Tuscaloosa. His 'Bama offer looks firm, and Saban doesn't miss on in-state kid who legitimately grew up a 'Bama fan.

Finally, get ready for it, Jones is going to be heavily-recruited and highly-touted. Scout still has him as a middling three-star -- consider the source on that one -- but this kid is starting to get heavily recruited by a lot of high-end programs... 'Bama, Florida, Tennessee, Notre Dame, etc. Rivals already has him as a four-star, and he'll get there on Scout eventually too. When all is said and done he will be one of the most heavily recruited corners in the southeast.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
That being the case, why did Bama wait so long to get after him?
Well, we didn't really wait all of that long. He's been on our radar screen all along, and it's still seven months 'til National Signing Day. I think people tend to get carried away, but the truth of the matter is that we are still very, very early in the recruiting process at this point in time.

The biggest issue was / is that with us recruiting at the level we have been, we cannot just mail out offers to anyone and everyone. A school like Auburn, with no depth whatsoever, can basically offer every legitimate SEC caliber prospect by April 1st, but we cannot do that. We have the luxury of being a lot more selective, and the net effect of that is that we evaluate kids like Jones much more thoroughly before we offer. I think that is all that happened here. The staff was always aware of him, but they wanted to do their due diligence.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
As previously mentioned, Jones grew up an Alabama fan, and if we really go after him we will likely get his commitment / signature.

Auburn jumped in on this kid first, and he was pretty high on them. Since then, however, Alabama has offered and at this point he has all but eliminated Auburn. At the end of the day, he'll take his visits and look around, but it would be a major surprise if he ended up anywhere but Tuscaloosa. His 'Bama offer looks firm, and Saban doesn't miss on in-state kid who legitimately grew up a 'Bama fan.

Finally, get ready for it, Jones is going to be heavily-recruited and highly-touted. Scout still has him as a middling three-star -- consider the source on that one -- but this kid is starting to get heavily recruited by a lot of high-end programs... 'Bama, Florida, Tennessee, Notre Dame, etc. Rivals already has him as a four-star, and he'll get there on Scout eventually too. When all is said and done he will be one of the most heavily recruited corners in the southeast.
BET,

true to your words, per Scout Jones has Auburn "low" on his offer list...

this sounds like the Danny Woodson scenario all over again...:cool:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
this sounds like the Danny Woodson scenario all over again...:cool:
Indeed.

Happens all the time. Kids effectively fall in love with the first one to show them any attention. But, of course, it's a long time to NSD and once they see other suitors show interest, it's a whole new ballgame.

For what it's worth, we've been on the flip side of this equation several times too. It's a two-way street, no doubt about it. Remember Robert Marve?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
And I'll make one more point here...

This whole "lean" business, or "favoring school x," is really just a load of junk and a waste of time. If, and I mean if, a kid commits somewhere, then that may mean something because a lot of kids don't renege on a commitment lightly (though many do).

This "lean" business, though, that means nothing. Unless a kid is literally going to commit / sign somewhere in the near future, many times it's not even worth mentioning. These kids change their minds every day, they're still going to go on a million visits, and will still take months before they can sign anywhere. Where a kid is leaning in July is largely irrelevant. It's about like asking someone who they are going to marry when they are 16...

Tweeder

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2009
It shouldn't matter which school offered first, if your dream school offers then you accept imo. If he's a Bama fan and has received an offer, no way should we be playing catch up.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
The biggest issue was / is that with us recruiting at the level we have been, we cannot just mail out offers to anyone and everyone. A school like Auburn, with no depth whatsoever, can basically offer every legitimate SEC caliber prospect by April 1st, but we cannot do that. We have the luxury of being a lot more selective, and the net effect of that is that we evaluate kids like Jones much more thoroughly before we offer. I think that is all that happened here. The staff was always aware of him, but they wanted to do their due diligence.
Don't tell that to Auburn fans. To hear them, Coach Saban just sends out about 500 offers, and hopes for the best.

As for Chris Jones, I love this gem from one of their boards. I know, I shouldn't, but I can't help it.

We obviously quit talking to him then. Chizik likes taller corners and as you can see Rose is a 6'1" CB, and do you think its a coincidence that the day Jones drops AU the auburnsports front page article is on a 6'1" CB Chizik has been targeting?

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Don't tell that to Auburn fans. To hear them, Coach Saban just sends out about 500 offers, and hopes for the best.

As for Chris Jones, I love this gem from one of their boards. I know, I shouldn't, but I can't help it.
They might have a point though. If they know he really likes Bama, they might not want to waste their time in a battle they'd likely lose. I'm sure all schools do stuff like this b/c there is a finite number of resources/ time that can be used. I think it's funny that they gave up on him so quickly after he got a Bama offer (if that rumor is true).

VegasTide

All-SEC
Dec 18, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I should've asked this in my previous post... But does anyone know why Auburn went from Hero to Zero w/ Chris Jones?? I understnd if he now says that Bama leads, but it sounds like he's now stating that AU is completely out when he was saying they lead just 2 wks ago. I mean, was he completely stringing them along to entice an offer from Bama (in his mind, not our staff) or... did something happen between AU and Jones or...??? Just a little weird. For the record, I know 'recruits do this all the time'... but still... any information floating around out there?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I should've asked this in my previous post... But does anyone know why Auburn went from Hero to Zero w/ Chris Jones?? I understnd if he now says that Bama leads...
Come on, now, think about it. You're a lifelong 'Bama fan... wouldn't you drop Auburn like a rock when 'Bama and other top programs came calling?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.