Dreamland BBQ sauce -Looking for Recipe

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Hi, I am looking for a Dreamland BBQ sauce recipe. The one that is on the internet is not it. I tired it and its not close. My wife has a medical issue and she cannot eat food preservatives that come in most processed or sauces sold in stores including Dreamlands.

This is the recipe I used.

dreamland bbq sauce recipe | restaurant recipes

I also found this article from Dr. Howard Miller a shrink in Ttown. I had never read this but he claims to have gone thru the trash and found a box that he said is the secret ingredient that makes the sauce. He is still alive and I sent him a email but he has not respond , nor do I think he will. So if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Trust me I had much rather purchase the sauce than make it , My wife says does not enjoy ribs anymore and I wanted to surprise her for her Bday.

Tuscaloosa's Original Dreamland BBQ - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

I don't have the recipe but did visit a number of sites and blogs claiming to have a copy-cat or knockoff version of the sauce.....and they ALL gave the exact recipe that you posted here. Some reviewers say it taste just like the real thing and others say it's not even close....:rolleyes:

The Dreamland sauce is thin with a strong hint of mustard, and the recipe reads like it would be too. Without having made it yet, I would guess it's pretty close. Might just have to try it and see :tongue:. However, IMHO, Dreamland sauce is far from the best stuff on the planet, as stated by some of the reviewers......just sayin

Last edited:

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I've came pretty close a few times by just trying to match the color with the tomato sauce or puree and the mustard. Most of the other ingredients don't appreciably change the color so you can just experiment adding them and adjusting them until you reach something you like. My problem is that when I get pretty close I invariably try to improve on it by adding my own little twists.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I will probably be burned at the stake for saying this but Dreamland probably wouldn't make my top 5 BBQ joints. The biggest thing they had going for them was location and atmosphere, leave Tuscaloosa and even that is gone. Beans, slaw and white bread is pretty lame and the thin sauce doesn't appeal to everyone.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Dreamland probably wouldn't make my top 5 BBQ joints.
I agree. Ribs are average. Sorry guys. Their sauce is okay. I prefer a thicker sauce. I've made mine a before, but have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the hassle. I go with store bought Sticky Finger's sauce. Carolina Sweet to be exact.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I agree. Ribs are average. Sorry guys. Their sauce is okay. I prefer a thicker sauce. I've made mine a before, but have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the hassle. I go with store bought Sticky Finger's sauce. Carolina Sweet to be exact.
That Bone Suckin' Sauce they sell at Whole Foods is the real deal. The hot version is a great balance of hot & sweet.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

This is one of the better / best sauces or marinades on the shelf. I have to order mine online.

I have tried several of these and some are good, some are thin but the taste is there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.