What are you reading right now (II)?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Open Season by C.J. Box. Joe Pickett is a crime solving game warden in Wyoming. Going to read the entire series.

Baldacci is really good. He has a new book with a new character. Amos Decker is a crime solver who remembers everything he has every encountered, like our own Selma. Book is not quite as good as the other Baldacci books.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The Target by Baldacci. For now it's the last Will Robie book. There's supposed to be a new come come out mid-November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Hey Bodhi, why don't you finish one book before you start another? You know you're supposed to read the pages inside and not just the flyleaf synopsis? :)

I just finished several Joe Pickett books by C.J. Box.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Hey Bodhi, greetings from an old acquaintance! Much water over the dam since I frequented the Bookends. I'm happy to see that the place is still perking. I'm amazed at your pace! I used to read much more when I was flying. Seems like I'm busier since I retired!
I would like your opinion. I just ordered all three books of the Memory, sorrow and thorn series by Tad Williams. Did so just by reading the reviews on Amazon. Did I make a mistake? I see you read a lot of fantasy, so what would you recommend as the best you've found lately? I bought The Dwarves (Markus Heintz) on a whim and got about halfway through before I consigned it to the circular file...
I still do a lot of reading, and plan to be a frequent visitor. Presently re-reading one of the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Hey Bodhi, greetings from an old acquaintance! Much water over the dam since I frequented the Bookends. I'm happy to see that the place is still perking. I'm amazed at your pace! I used to read much more when I was flying. Seems like I'm busier since I retired!
I would like your opinion. I just ordered all three books of the Memory, sorrow and thorn series by Tad Williams. Did so just by reading the reviews on Amazon. Did I make a mistake? I see you read a lot of fantasy, so what would you recommend as the best you've found lately? I bought The Dwarves (Markus Heintz) on a whim and got about halfway through before I consigned it to the circular file...
I still do a lot of reading, and plan to be a frequent visitor. Presently re-reading one of the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell.
Hi Bob. Good to hear from you. I have not read any Tad Williams; let me know how you like it. I didn't read any fantasy for a long time; I've only picked up the genre again the last couple of years. If you haven't read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, I think you'll like it. The series was finished by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death. Sanderson is another one of my favorites, and he has several series going right now. I'm reading Terry Brooks (multiple Shannara series) out of a sense of nostalgia. I got into to Tolkien and Brooks in high school and just felt like diving back into them. It is a good change of pace from the military history, historical fiction, thriller, etc. books I also have in the queue.

BTW, Bernard Cornwell is one of my favorites. I've been reading his Saxon Tales.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
I think I may have all of Cornwell's books. I'm currently reading Sharpe's Revenge, which I had read in May of 2010 and November of 2012. Like the Patrick O'Brian books, I tend to read them again every 2 or 3 years. About 35 years ago I got into Wilbur Smith novels and have a shelf of them above my desk where I am sitting. As I glance along the shelf I see Steven King, Winston Churchill, Leon Uris, George R. R. Martin, Tolkien of course, Sharon Kay Penman, Alexander Kent, Larry McMurtry, and Dorothy Dunnett. Also the complete Shakespeare.
Wow! Could it really be 35 years since I started reading Wilbur Smith?
I read the Terry Brooks books years ago (don't want to think how many). I got into Tolkein somewhere around 1967. I was teaching formation to Navy flight students in Milton, FL, and a former squadron mate mailed me the trilogy. It went through that formation unit like wildfire! "Frodo Lives" began to appear on chalkboards. Guys took up Tolkein callsigns, Like Aragorn Flight and Strider. I will never forget how deeply I was involved in the life of Frodo and Sam. I have read that series five or six times, always with the intention of just enjoying the magnificent use of the English language, but always getting caught up in the story.
I got the Tad Williams books today. I'll finish Cornwell and dive in tomorrow (after golf).. Take care, old friend.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.