What are you reading right now (II)?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Read this several years ago...quite interesting and at the same time disheartening.
Completely agree. Unfortunately, governmental policies at the state, national, and international levels often (usually?) result in extremely expensive failures, leaving the intended beneficiaries far worse off than at the beginning. Very sad and frustrating.

Reactions: Padreruf

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Saw the mini-series several times over the years. Finally got to the book. Incredibly well done. Have the rest of the series in the queue.
That's my favorite novel. It's been years since I read the other three. I think it was the one when they were very young that I liked 2nd best of the 4 in the series.

Reactions: Bodhisattva

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Comanche Moon by Larry McMurtry
I believe that's the one that has the character Famous Shoes. There's a line in there where he talks about revisiting a place over time and it seems different. He says he's not sure if the place is different, or if the person is different. I'm going to have to look up the line.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
That's my favorite novel. It's been years since I read the other three. I think it was the one when they were very young that I liked 2nd best of the 4 in the series.
Dead Man's Walk is the one where they are about 19 years old and just getting started as Rangers. Really enjoyed it. With a young Pea Eye, Deets, Jake Spoon, and even Blue Duck introduced in Comanche Moon - what a fun read!

Reactions: dayhiker

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I believe that's the one that has the character Famous Shoes. There's a line in there where he talks about revisiting a place over time and it seems different. He says he's not sure if the place is different, or if the person is different. I'm going to have to look up the line.
An older Famous Shoes is also in Streets of Laredo. He helped track down Joey Garza.

Of interest, in the various mini-series, Wes Studi played Famous Shoes in Streets of Laredo and then played Buffalo Hump in Comanche Moon.

Reactions: dayhiker

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The Dawn of Everything, A New History of Humanity, David Grabber and David Wengrow. This is a book that challenges the usual teachings of Rousseau and Hobbes regarding human development from hunter-gatherers to farmers...and continual human development from there. Very interesting...so far he challenges both of these and Steven Pinker as well!!!

Reactions: seebell

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Dead Man's Walk is the one where they are about 19 years old and just getting started as Rangers. Really enjoyed it. With a young Pea Eye, Deets, Jake Spoon, and even Blue Duck introduced in Comanche Moon - what a fun read!
I think Comanche Moon is the one I thought was 2nd best. I haven't found my quote yet, but did find this one: " When Famous Shoes finished his song he noticed that the young white man was asleep. During the day he had not trusted enough, and had worn himself out with pointless scurryings. Perhaps even then the song he had just sung was working in the young man’s dreams; perhaps as he grew older he would learn to trust mysteries and not fear them. Many white men could not trust things unless they could be explained; and yet the most beautiful things, such as the trackless flight of birds, could never be explained.”

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
PS, I'm listening to an AOM podcast currently about Lonesome Dove. The person being interviewed is a McMurtry expert. They're discussing Gus as an Epicurean and Call as a Stoic. I'll find a link. It's been good so far. I love the book. I've read it numerous times, most recently maybe a year ago.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.