What are you reading right now (II)?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Naming of the Dead: Ian Rankin
When you finish it, let me know what you think. I've not read any of the Inspector Rebus books, but being a bit of an anglophile, I'm always interested in picking up a new detective series set in Britain. Among other books, I'm currently reading through Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley series.

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama
Poseidon's Arrow, Clive Cussler
I was in high school (10th grade) when a classmate was reading Cussler. I hated reading basically because all the readings that were required in school were not "guy" books. All female English teachers. We read "girly" books.

I asked him why in the world would someone read for fun. The next day he brought Raise the Titanic. I thought I'll read a chapter or two and give it back to him in 2-3 weeks. I read it in two nights. I kept it for 2 weeks and asked if he had another Clusser book. I was hooked. He is one of my favorites. I have several signed first edition of his novels.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
The Afghan Campaign: A Novel, Steven Pressfield

2,300 years ago an unbeaten army of the West invaded the homeland of a fierce Eastern tribal foe. This is one soldier’s story . . .

The bestselling novelist of ancient warfare returns with a riveting historical novel that re-creates Alexander the Great’s invasion of the Afghan kingdoms in 330 b.c.

In a story that might have been ripped from today’s combat dispatches, Steven Pressfield brings to life the confrontation between an invading Western army and fierce Eastern warriors determined at all costs to defend their homeland. Narrated by an infantryman in Alexander’s army, The Afghan Campaign explores the challenges, both military and moral, that Alexander and his soldiers face as they embark on a new type of war and are forced to adapt to the methods of a ruthless foe that employs terror and insurgent tactics. An edge-of-your-seat adventure, The Afghan Campaign once again demonstrates Pressfield’s profound understanding of the hopes and desperation of men in battle and of the historical realities that continue to influence our world.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Also, been reading Island of the Lost.

Basically it is the true story of two different crews shipwrecked on the same island in the south pacific in 1864. One crew, though leadership and camaraderie, survive for years and all escape. The other crew, through lack of leadership, quickly devolves into anarchy and cannibalism and only 3 survive.

Basically it is a story of how circumstances, personality, and willpower combine to overcome obstacles. Or not. Told by the survivors.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
About a month back, I finished The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian. Made me really look at college football in a different light. It's worth the read.

Hoping to get Malcolm Gladwell's latest for Christmas and read it. Love his stuff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.