What are you reading right now (II)?

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Hey folks.

I'm sort of resurrecting a post that Nate did back in December to see what everyone is reading.

I'm a few pages from finishing "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini and want to know what I should read next.

Considerations:

1) The Da Vinci Code
2) Alexander Hamilton

Other suggestions?

Reactions: Streyeder

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I just finished Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, by Gregory Maguire. The book (the basis for the current broadway musical), builds a history for the witch loosely based on the mythology built up during the entire series of Oz books.

Very interesting, very entertaining, and it raises some engaging ethical issues as well. As Glinda says in the musical, some people have wickedness thrust upon them.

I'm currently re-reading the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson.

------------------
"Reading made Don Quixote a gentleman. Believing what he had read made him mad." -- George Bernard Shaw

[This message has been edited by jthomas666 (edited 07-13-2004).]

CBag4Bama

1st Team
Sep 22, 2002
Birmingham, AL
I just finished No Second Chance by Harlan Coben .. very good book .. Im going to look at some of his other stuff .. he has a new hardback out called Just One Look.

How was Eragon?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I'm finishing "The Screwtape Letters," by CS Lewis.

After that I'm starting, "Crusade in Europe," by DD Eisenhower.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
My son just gave me Eragon to read. It is one of those Sword and Sorcery books but is good light reading so far.

Streyeder

Suspended
Jul 27, 2001
The Cow College
www.myfreakingopinion.com
I just finished reading from The Mark through the Glorious Appearing (usually wait for paperback, but BAM had a 44% off sale, lol). I'm debating what to pick up next, who knows. I think I'm going to go through some Readers Digests my friend gets and is going to give to me.

Any suggestions for a good Quadratic Programming book? Preferably explaining it in detail for C?

------------------
--Streyeder
"Stupidity should be painful."

Mallet Über Alles!

BamaNTN

1st Team
Feb 5, 2002
Birmingham via Winchester, TN
I'm reading "Never Wrestle With a Pig and Ninety Other Ideas to Build Your Business and Career". The author is Mark McCormack. He is the dude that wrote the 'What They Don't Teach you in Harvard' books.

Its a great read. I recommend it to anyone in business school or people thinking about a career change.

mf627

Scout Team
Aug 18, 2003
I just started The Winds of War by Herman Wouk, which is historical fiction piece about a man that is a military attache in Germany at the outset of WWII. There's a sequel to it, War and Rememberance, that is next on my list.

I just finished Gettysburg by Newt Gingrich which is alternative history. It focuses on what might have happened if the South would have won the battle of Gettysburg. There is a sequel out, Grant Comes East, but I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback so I can have a matching set.

At some point, I need to finish CS Lewis's Mere Christianity, although I'm afraid the school year and long weekends of MDB will interupt that.

Ramah Jamah

1st Team
Sep 17, 2002
Mobile, AL
I Call The Shots by Johnny Miller, its a piece of crap, Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson which is great and Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky which sounds boring, but it is really interesting.

Nate Harris

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Belle Mina, AL
The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. It's a pretty good book, and Greene was obviously very gifted, but it hasn't quite grabbed me like I hoped it would given how much it was hyped way back in the day.

Next up is The Tailor of Panama by John Le Carre.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
Just finished a older book. I am Legend by Richard Matheson. Interesting read if you're into Vampires. The ending really kills it though...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
bamapride79 said:
Just finished a older book. I am Legend by Richard Matheson. Interesting read if you're into Vampires. The ending really kills it though...
There are a couple of interesting movie versions out there:

Last Man on Earth, w/ Vincent Price (made in the 50s, I think; it's b&w, anyway)
The Omega Man, w/ Charleton Heston

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I'm starting "The Bourne Identity" tonight. I watched the first two movies in the series over the weekend and enjoyed them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.