Poll: Do you think it's childish for a grown man or woman to wear a Bama jersey?

Do you think it's childish for a grown man or woman to wear a Bama jersey?

• Yes

Votes: 76 19.8%
  • No

Votes: 308 80.2%

• Total voters

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
I prefer to simply wear our colors, like a crimson colored golf shirt or button down shirt. Sometimes it may say Alabama, sometimes not. But on the Jersey thing, like many others have stated here, even though I don't feel it's appropriate for me (being over 40), I don't fault anyone else for doing it. Whatever you feel comfortable in. Actually I would prefer to see a stadium full of people in Alabama jerseys if it meant that we could put the "head to toe Houndstooth" outfits back in the closet. An Alabama jersey represents the timelessness of the Alabama program. Houndstooth represents only about the last 12 years of Coach Bryant"s persona. And please don't flame me if it comes across as disrespect to Coach Bryant - nothing could be further from the truth. Just my personal opinion that we need to scale back on the Houndstooth mania that seems to have really exploded in the past 5 years.

very good perspective...the houndstooth deal just isn't part of our colors, and is quite cliched, pure and simple..

pvilleguru

1st Team
Feb 2, 2007
how does dressing up show "respect" for the game? i can understand if it's just what you really feel more comfortable wearing, but how does it show respect? it's a game of football. guys are on the field trying to destroy the man on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

if most of the players were in the stands, they would be wearing t-shirts. just look at the prospects when they show up at the games.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2003
Germantown,Tn USA
I have 2 Jerseys. A # 7 with Barker on the back from the 92 season. The jersey has 2 patches on the front, a Sugar Bowl and a Century of Champions. I only wear it on Game days, I am thinking of wearing to a game this year.
I also have a Cody game jersey with the BCS patch, SEC, and a Bama patch on the front.
ROLL TIDE

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
how does dressing up show "respect" for the game? i can understand if it's just what you really feel more comfortable wearing, but how does it show respect? it's a game of football. guys are on the field trying to destroy the man on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

if most of the players were in the stands, they would be wearing t-shirts. just look at the prospects when they show up at the games.
I think that's an "older generation" thing, kinda like people used to think you just HAD to dress up to go to church, as if God really cares what you look like. No disrespect to them or to you intended, but that was just the way the generations before us were raised...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Growing up, my grandfather was on the Board and we sat in the Box so I always dressed up. In college, as a freshman sorority girl I always wore a dress, hose, and heels (top that, guys!). After that season, I went to sundresses and skirts with sandles. I have always dressed up for games and I always will. I just think it is a sign of respect. Leave the jerseys for the young men playing the game.

Oh-and I think Coach Saban should wear a suit the way Coach Bryant and Coach Stallings did, JMO.
I agree 100% with ya..I would love to see Coach Saban wear a suit like he did at his 1st A-Day Game..Just a classy look..But as hot as it is this summer..I can't imagine how hot it would be in a suit..Makes me sweat thinking about it..

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
. I like to believe I look slightly less ridiculous when I wear a shirt with buttons and a collar. :redface:

I think it's a good question, and I'm surprised at how the voting is going. :rolleyes:
I have a few very nice Bama button-up/collar dress shirts. I also have a nice jersey. I were which ever one fits the occasion.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Growing up, my grandfather was on the Board and we sat in the Box so I always dressed up. In college, as a freshman sorority girl I always wore a dress, hose, and heels (top that, guys!). After that season, I went to sundresses and skirts with sandles. I have always dressed up for games and I always will. I just think it is a sign of respect. Leave the jerseys for the young men playing the game.

Oh-and I think Coach Saban should wear a suit the way Coach Bryant and Coach Stallings did, JMO.
Love this response. I wish Coach would wear a suit, if not for just one or two games a year. The Penn State game this year is a perfect time.

I think that's an "older generation" thing, kinda like people used to think you just HAD to dress up to go to church, as if God really cares what you look like. No disrespect to them or to you intended, but that was just the way the generations before us were raised...

It's no longer an "older generation" thing. Some of us just happen to believe that ladies and gentleman should typically dress the part. No snark intended, mind you, but that's our case.

TidePrice

3rd Team
Oct 21, 2005
Decatur, AL
so childish, as an alumnus, I would never do it especially put your name on the jersey, who are you trying to fool, are people supposed to think you play on the team? and if so, when did the team start letting the players wear the jerseys to walmart? I guess I am a purist I dont do shakers
, paint any body part nor do i wear a houndstooth hat

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Like many here, I don't think it's childish to wear a jersey even though I don't wear them myself.

My reason for not wearing them is that they don't coordinate well with trousers or shorts. They do coordinate with jeans and I don't wear jeans.

Now, I wouldn't mind having one to wear around the house along with gym shorts, but I just can't see paying $40 for something that I'm just going to wear around the house.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Like many here, I don't think it's childish to wear a jersey even though I don't wear them myself.

My reason for not wearing them is that they don't coordinate well with trousers or shorts. They do coordinate with jeans and I don't wear jeans.

Now, I wouldn't mind having one to wear around the house along with gym shorts, but I just can't see paying $40 for something that I'm just going to wear around the house.
That's interesting. I've had a couple of the years, which I wore strictly around the house. When I (ahem) "outgrew" the last one, I didn't bother to replace it. However, my wife (the OM grad) says I have more crimson shirts than anyone on the planet. I remember one incident years ago. We were staying in a campground in Townsend, TN, right outside the GSMNP on the 3rd Saturday in October. Around the campground that night, the roars that went up every time Bama scored told me that there were as many - or more - UA fans watching little TVs than BO. The next day, as I went to the bathhouse in my crimson shirt, I passed a group of teenagers wearing the appalling pumpkin-wear. As we passed, I heard one of the girls said "I hate that color! It's the ugliest color I've ever seen." I guess the barbarians hated the (crimson) color of the Roman Empire, also... :D

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
I would rather Coach Saban coach in what makes him comfortable and what he feels he can properly do his job in. If that is slacks and a polo shirt then so be it. They obviously coordinate the whole coaching staff one way. CNS isn't Gene Stallings and he isn't The Bear. I want everyone to wear what they want to the game that they are the most comfortable in. If your thing is a suit and tie then wear that, but don't look down on your nose at people who wear jeans and a t-shirt. Are you a better fan than them? A better person? Maybe we ought to be proud of what a passionate fanbase we have instead of trying to break down how a real fan should dress.

BUT I do have to say the Wal-Mart jerseys are hideous and I would never be caught dead in one. But I know what it's like to not have a lot of money. These people can't afford to speand 60 bucks on a real jersey when they can get one at Wal-Mart for 20 so I will not judge them for that. They were good enough fans to get tickets to the game and support The University. RTR.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
kinda like people used to think you just HAD to dress up to go to church, as if God really cares what you look like.

".....thou shalt tuck in your shirt and wear a tie. And not one of those stupid 'cartoon' ties either; a grown up one, with stripes or paisleys......"

If you'd read your Bible, you'd remember that part. ;)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
".....thou shalt tuck in your shirt and wear a tie. And not one of those stupid 'cartoon' ties either; a grown up one, with stripes or paisleys......"

If you'd read your Bible, you'd remember that part. ;)
And thy arm candy, be it girlfriend or wife, shall be adorned with a corsage in a color to show team spirit and be adorned with crimson and white ribbons.

That's real old school, I mean old testament.

BamaBackerBill

1st Team
Mar 2, 2003
Fayette, AL, USA
so childish, as an alumnus, I would never do it especially put your name on the jersey, who are you trying to fool, are people supposed to think you play on the team? and if so, when did the team start letting the players wear the jerseys to walmart? I guess I am a purist I dont do shakers
, paint any body part nor do i wear a houndstooth hat
Well, I have some jerseys that have my last name on the back and some that don't, but I can assure you I ain't trying to fool no one. I'm just being myself and am really not worried what others think about how I choose to support my beloved Crimson Tide. I have a closet full of Bama t-shirts, polos, sweat shirts (hooded and non), jerseys, shorts and hats. I even have a Bama dress shirt and a couple of Bama ties that I will wear to church on occasion. I love to wear all things Bama and will just put on whatever I'm in the mood to wear on that particular day. Sometimes I'll use a shaker at games and sometimes I don't. I never paint my body just because I don't want to and I will often wear my houndstooth cap because I like the way it looks. I have my tastes just as you have yours. I love our tradition and how it's upheld till this day. I would also consider myself a purist at heart. Nope, not fooling anybody here.

rtr

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.