Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

Re: Profanity on this message board

i have a serious question, i've gotten dinged for this a couple times and it is frustrating- every now and then i will post a youtube clip. then i will get a nice message from the mods to delete bc of profanity in the comments section under the video. pretty much EVERY youtube video (and many other sites) have profanity in their comments section. sofor me i dont even read the comments and could care less what some random troll says below a video so i rarely even read the comments to begin with. so should we just avoid posting videos? is there some way to filter off the comments below the videos? it is a shame bc many videos are very intelligent or informative and it is a shame that video is banned simply bc some moron drops a cussword in the 5th comment.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by gmart74 View Post
    i have a serious question, i've gotten dinged for this a couple times and it is frustrating- every now and then i will post a youtube clip. then i will get a nice message from the mods to delete bc of profanity in the comments section under the video. pretty much EVERY youtube video (and many other sites) have profanity in their comments section. sofor me i dont even read the comments and could care less what some random troll says below a video so i rarely even read the comments to begin with. so should we just avoid posting videos? is there some way to filter off the comments below the videos? it is a shame bc many videos are very intelligent or informative and it is a shame that video is banned simply bc some moron drops a cussword in the 5th comment.
    Yeah, I rarely post any videos because whenever I find one they have bad language or somebody adds something afterwards. There have been a lot of Bama pump up videos where some Auburn fan shows up and drops the F bomb and ruins it.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Profanity and the use thereof shows an inability to express oneself in a proper manner and a loss of self control.
    My father (a former navy man, WWII), once told me "Son you cuss more than a sailor". Learning tact in the MP Corps, As an NCO, I could tell you to go to hades and make you feel good to be on your way. As a minister, I warn you of hades and encourage you to walk the other way. I encourage all to put your mind in gear before you release your tongue or type on a keypad.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Another thing you can't avoid is when the comments are posted. Some of those videos have a 100,000 comments and are constantly being updated. You might post a video at 3:00PM and by 3:30PM theres an "f" bomb in one of the comments.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I know it's frustrating, but unless the video will embed directly here (and hence not show the comments), you're still responsible for the idiot comments in the link if it redirects. Some videos will embed, some demand a redirect to youtube. I don't know how to tell the difference (maybe someone else does?) without just attempting to post the link, then seeing what happens.

If the link redirects and the comments below contain profanity, you must delete the link. Or we will, and that's rarely good for you (if it becomes a pattern).
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    I know it's frustrating, but unless the video will embed directly here (and hence not show the comments), you're still responsible for the idiot comments in the link if it redirects. Some videos will embed, some demand a redirect to youtube. I don't know how to tell the difference (maybe someone else does?) without just attempting to post the link, then seeing what happens.

If the link redirects and the comments below contain profanity, you must delete the link. Or we will, and that's rarely good for you (if it becomes a pattern).
    But what happens if it didn't have profanity when you linked it, but 30 minutes later it does? That happens all the time with youtube comments. There's some videos you can play, and by the time it's finished, there will be a fresh batch of 20 comments underneath it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to challenge board rules. I like the cleanliness of this board compared to others, it's one of the main reasons I come here. I think there's an obvious link between the intelligence of this board and the lack of profanity.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I bet all you Mods really had your hands full after last year's Barn game!

And BTW, thanks again Admin/Mods, for running a great, clean board!
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

i think we need some computer nerds to figure out a way to scrub comments from videos, then all problems would be solved

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    But what happens if it didn't have profanity when you linked it, but 30 minutes later it does? That happens all the time with youtube comments. There's some videos you can play, and by the time it's finished, there will be a fresh batch of 20 comments underneath it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to challenge board rules. I like the cleanliness of this board compared to others, it's one of the main reasons I come here. I think there's an obvious link between the intelligence of this board and the lack of profanity.
    I understand the frustration. Bottom line is, if you realize this is an issue, don't post a video or link to a site where this is likely to happen. You are responsible for the link, no matter if the f-bomb comment gets added after you posted it.

i think we need some computer nerds to figure out a way to scrub comments from videos, then all problems would be solved
    That would be lovely, but I think the issue comes from the link's source, not something that can necessarily be controlled here. But I'm not computer-savvy enough to say for certain. If there were a way for Brett to do this, I'm sure he would.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm about to re-install the video embed feature. that way you can just post the link and the video will embed in the post...no need to click a link. this should eliminate this problem.

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bayoutider View Post
    My first three sentences cover what you ask.

Many people have been banned or given time out for linking to a site filled with profanity. If you think it might be a risk I suggest you either don't do it or ask before posting.
    We miss you, Rich!!
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    I'm about to re-install the video embed feature. that way you can just post the link and the video will embed in the post...no need to click a link. this should eliminate this problem.
    As always, you are the man!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post