News Article: Penn State preview: Alabama hopes JoePa’s return yields different results

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Penn State preview: Alabama hopes JoePa’s return yields different results
By Jess Nicholas
TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief
Sept. 5, 2010

Twenty years ago, Joe Paterno was old.

Twenty years ago, Joe Paterno’s Penn State team marched into Bryant-Denny Stadium to face Gene Stallings’ first team, beat Alabama 9-0, and it could have been much uglier. The 1990 team was often beaten physically by the opposition.

Twenty years ago was the last time the fan bases of Alabama and Penn State, two groups that form a mutual admiration society as much as any two schools in the United States can, had a chance to share the same stadium. But only the Penn State fans left the stadium in a good humor.

For the full story, click here

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll take 30-20. Hope you are right except I hope Penn. State gets a late score to get to within 10 instead of it being tight in the 4th.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
I have picked Bama by 17 and am sticking with it. While our offense looked great last week it was against SJSU and it should have looked that way. With that said, we're better offensively this year than last year and I like how the coaches decided that Julio was a weapon and he MUST be forced (if necessary) into the game plan.

The one area that I differ from Jess a bit is at Running back. With our without Ingram, Bama easily takes this category. If Lacy doesn't fumble the ball, we easily score on that series and he's looked upon today in a completely different light. Richardson is frankly as good (IMHO) as Ingram and Goode looked very difficult to handle as well. Basically Penn State has one "real" threat at RB and Bama has 3 that are pretty much interchangeable depending upon down and distance.

The one area I believe we need to improve is WR. We didn't get the ball into Maze's hands nearly as many times as we should have and while Hanks did a nice job and Julio had possibly one of his top three games, it's still not enough!

I also agree 100% with Jess regarding our punt return game. We should (IMHO) put Maze back there and forget Julio. Julio doesn't have the needed shiftiness for that position...however, I'm betting that he caught the ball in practice much better than the others who were tried, thus taking the position for one main reason...he didn't FUMBLE!

Also, we only got the ball to our TE's what twice and one of those was a dropped ball or incomplete pass to Smelley.

In any event Bama takes this game by 17 but I have a feeling it may feel closer than that at times.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
Jess, quit copying me man! :biggrin: I've been saying Bama 32 PSU 20 all summer.

I write up something like this now and again only I choose to rate OL vs DL, LBs vs Backfield/TEs, etc. I think in this scenario PSU draws close to even in their DL vs our OL. Fluker looked great Sat, MUCH improved from A-Day. However PSU brings a more than solid DL to Bryant Denny, and if they're smart they'll do everything possible to confuse the young RT. I see some problems in the passing game from that standpoint, just hoping they don't turn into critical TOs. Otherwise I see things quite the same as you have them.

Why do you not rate DL vs OL etc? It would be a better judgement if you did! As my 6 yr old would say, please please please!

Schlante & Roll Tide,
Phillip

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
That's a good prediction and I enjoyed the analysis. It would be very exciting to see Alabama roll up 40+ points again - I could live with our young (but deep) defense giving up 20ish in that case.. But as everyone else has said, we will certainly learn a lot about our team in this game.. :smile: I can't wait. RTR

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Why do you not rate DL vs OL etc? It would be a better judgement if you did! As my 6 yr old would say, please please please!

Schlante & Roll Tide,
Phillip
Phillip,

It's mentioned in the "OVERALL" section at the bottom:

Alabama leads in six categories, Penn State in two, and both of those could easily go Alabama’s way, especially special teams. Alabama also wins both OL-DL matchups.

CrimsonBleedRed

All-American
Nov 24, 2007
United States
I don't know if PSU has enough offense to get to 20 points against Bama, at least not without help from the defense and special teams. I think something like 31-16 is about what, imo.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Alabama 34 - Penn State 16.

Penn State won't be easy, especially with Alabama's secondary being young. However, our offense has too many weapons for Penn State to handle for a full 4 quarters.

After this game and next week's game against Duke, our secondary should be more stable and ready for SEC play.

OLDTIDE

Scout Team
Oct 20, 1999
Orange Park Fla USA
I Love JoePa and have great respect for Penn State. In this game however,Alabama is without a doubt a more solid team. Coach Saban is not one to run up the score and will not show case all the offense that we have. If he did pull out all stops, it could get ugly and be very one sided. Out of respect to a great coach,Jess is absolutely right,Bama will win by 10 to 13 points.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.