Link: AP Voter Jon Solomon of Birmingham News picks BS #1 and Bama #2 - week 1

Samdog91

1st Team
Sep 3, 2010
Birmingham,AL
Just another reporter trying to make the headlines and stand out from the crowd. Both BSU and VT special teams were pretty bad. And VT's top ten pre-season ranking was off by a mile again. VT will probably lose another 3 games this year. I wonder if Jon will re-evaluate his way of voting when BSU plays their cupcake opponents. The whole thing is absurd to me and all the attention might backlash on BSU after we all are forced to hear the same dribble every week of the season.

crimsonboy

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 1, 2008
What a crack pot. First he says that he disregards a team's reputation (an obvious reference to Bama). Then, when trying to justify voting BS # 1, he notes that Va. Tech is one of the most consistent teams over the past decade. I guess reputation is an ever moving target to use or ignore to rationalize his opinions.

His choice for # 1 ain't the only BS in his article. What a clown. :conf3:

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
Odd. We beat Va Tech the first game of the season last year (and by a larger margin.) That didnt automatically make us #1. Theres no logic in the fanboy love of Boise.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Just another reporter trying to make the headlines and stand out from the crowd. Both BSU and VT special teams were pretty bad. And VT's top ten pre-season ranking was off by a mile again. VT will probably lose another 3 games this year. I wonder if Jon will re-evaluate his way of voting when BSU plays their cupcake opponents. The whole thing is absurd to me and all the attention might backlash on BSU after we all are forced to hear the same dribble every week of the season.
I see them possibly losing to GT and Miami, but the only other game on their schedule thats kind of tough is UNC and who knows how their roster will look in 2 months. I pray VT blows a couple games to make BSU look less impressive. I really hope the media keeps talking up Boise St. b/c I think CNS could use it as motivation that our team isn't getting any respect and they need to take it back so that our guys can get a good chip on their shoulder.

PalmBayBama

All-SEC
Oct 11, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Odd. We beat Va Tech the first game of the season last year (and by a larger margin.) That didnt automatically make us #1. Theres no logic in the fanboy love of Boise.
It did with Doug Lesmerises. I have no problem with anybody putting Boise State #1 this week given the current resumes. Next week may be a different story.

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
It did with Doug Lesmerises. I have no problem with anybody putting Boise State #1 this week given the current resumes. Next week may be a different story.
Seriously? He ranked Bama #1 last year after being Tech? LOL! Well ok then, at least hes consistent. I'll give him that!

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
1. Boise State isn't going away. As I mentioned last night, the Broncos' hard-fought win over Virginia Tech keeps them in the BCS Championship Game discussion. If Boise State defeats Oregon State at home on Sept. 25, the Broncos probably aren't going to lose this season. With all the kudos going to Boise State, and deservedly so, let's also recognize Virginia Tech. Tyrod Taylor was outstanding. It's remarkable to see how far he has grown as a quarterback in a couple of years, and that's a testament to one of the best quarterback coaches in the business, Mike O'Cain, the former N.C. State head coach. Taylor is capable of finding himself in New York for the Heisman Trophy announcement if he keeps playing like he did last night. Kellen Moore might be beside him.

This is the funniest thing Ive read in a long time. And I cant decide which thing is the funniest. Is it that tt will be in New York for the heisman or that he totally ignores the fact that bs only has one more "tough" team to face this year even though he acknowledges that will probably go undefeated.Just wondering why he would think that if they have such an awesome schedule.Or that he is calling Mike O the best qb coach in cfb...ummm who??lol

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
At least he gave himself some wiggle room

"If VaTech doesn't show much in coming weeks slips, that would undermine the quality of Bama's win and be taken into account when I rank the Tide."

Did he say as much for Boise?

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
I don't agree with much that Kirk Herbstreit says, but he talked about how the media lives "too much in the moment". He's right. Few look at the big picture. But regardless, the AP poll means nothing in the end.

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
I don't agree with much that Kirk Herbstreit says, but he talked about how the media lives "too much in the moment". He's right. Few look at the big picture. But regardless, the AP poll means nothing in the end.
Oh, theres some irony. He's guilty of his own accusations. I used to love Herby. Hes typically one of the few logical and unbiased guys on espn, but it seems like he doesnt want to be that guy anymore.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
Sadly, I am of the opinion that one of the two national title game teams has already been selected at this point. When you look at Boise State's remaining schedule who will even challenge them? Oregon St? Rogers was mostly held in check in their first game and if Boise's DL plays as strong as they did against Ryan Williams he will not be a factor. Not to mention that game is in Boise where they have dominated teams over the last several years. They have no one else that will challenge them and with a great ranking to start the season I don't see how they don't make to the title game.

The system that they have complained so much about will probably be what helps them out this season.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
There is no possible way to judge teams after 1 week. Maybe after 4-5 week, sure, but this is a joke.
How do you judge a loss by Virginia Tech over a win by Michigan, Iowa or Texas?

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Tyrod Taylor was outstanding. It's remarkable to see how far he has grown as a quarterback in a couple of years, and that's a testament to one of the best quarterback coaches in the business, Mike O'Cain, the former N.C. State head coach. Taylor is capable of finding himself in New York for the Heisman Trophy announcement if he keeps playing like he did last night.
wut

Tyrod underthrew at least 3 TD's to wide open receivers and spent half the night scrambling around in the pocket and taking sacks. Heisman caliber for sure :rolleyes:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.