AJ Green Investigation

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
The comments to that article are hilarious. The UGA faithful are all for abolishing the NCAA now, but they were all gung-ho in support of investigations when we were in the cross hairs.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If he was stupid enough to sell his jersey, he deserves a nice suspension. I heard yesterday the price might be around $1,000. Talk about a nice side job to have.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Looks like he sold his jersey to an agent.

At least he was honest at Media Days when he said he wasn't at the party. Guess the reporters forgot to ask if he ever sold a jersey to an agent. How could they forget such a possiblity?

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I'll need a little more before I can honestly say much. It looks like he's pegged for selling a shirt. In perspective, that's worse than Marcel's offense but not even in the same ballpark as Austin's. I think it best to let this one develop on it's own. We'll see.

TidePrideGA

All-American
Dec 6, 1999
Athens GA
I'll need a little more before I can honestly say much. It looks like he's pegged for selling a shirt. In perspective, that's worse than Marcel's offense but not even in the same ballpark as Austin's. I think it best to let this one develop on it's own. We'll see.
Yep, but UGA has been down this road before, in 2003 nine players sold there SEC champ rings. The NCAA then legislated rules that it is impermissible to sell anything. Add the whammy that this person was an agent and therein lies the problem. Marcel was honest and admitted everything. I wonder if A.J. green was less than forthcoming with investigators.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Not sure how I feel about this one. He sold his own jersey and is suspended 4 games? Just think about that for a minute. Georgia, Nike, the NCAA, etc. get profit from his jersey sales every day. Yet he can't sell his own jersey? One he actually wore? I get that he sold it to an agent, but he didn't sell it for some unreasonable sum. It was a game-used bowl jersey for $1000. That's really not an outrageous sum for that kind of memorabilia.

I can see the possibility for abuse here, but at the same time, on principal alone, this sounds crazy. Marcell was suspended two games for going to an agents party and accepting benefits. Green gets suspended 4 games for selling his jersey? That doesn't add up. Either there's more to the story, or else the NCAA took it very easy on us.

BoroBama

1st Team
Jun 12, 2008
Not sure how I feel about this one. He sold his own jersey and is suspended 4 games? Just think about that for a minute. Georgia, Nike, the NCAA, etc. get profit from his jersey sales every day. Yet he can't sell his own jersey? One he actually wore? I get that he sold it to an agent, but he didn't sell it for some unreasonable sum. It was a game-used bowl jersey for $1000. That's really not an outrageous sum for that kind of memorabilia.

I can see the possibility for abuse here, but at the same time, on principal alone, this sounds crazy. Marcell was suspended two games for going to an agents party and accepting benefits. Green gets suspended 4 games for selling his jersey? That doesn't add up. Either there's more to the story, or else the NCAA took it very easy on us.
When has the the NCAA ever done anything that added up?

mjstide

1st Team
Nov 20, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I think the sentence that says "an individual who meets the NCAA definition of an agent" is a little curious. What exactly is the NCAA definition of an agent? Granted, he should know that selling his jersey for $1000 is probably a rules violation but I'm not so sure he would have known that he sold it to an agent. Would the suspension be less if he sold it to a regular person? What is an agent going to do with an AJ Green Independance Bowl jersey?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What is an agent going to do with an AJ Green Independance Bowl jersey?
I'm wondering the samething. What use does an agent have for a bowl jersey?

Would the NCAA consider a collector item's seller an agent? Say a guy buy's the jersey then sells it, does that mean he's an agent?

IHateUT

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Knoxville, TN
Does the NCAA own his car too? What if he sells it somebody that "meets the definition of an agent" <-- whatever that is? Is that a worth a whole season suspension?

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I'm wondering the samething. What use does an agent have for a bowl jersey?

Would the NCAA consider a collector item's seller an agent? Say a guy buy's the jersey then sells it, does that mean he's an agent?

Probably the same use as anyone who wants a game used jersey. It would look cool on the wall? :conf3: Especially if it were in their office.

TidePrideGA

All-American
Dec 6, 1999
Athens GA

Red, while I agree, it looks like Green may have lied to NCAA Investigators. i know a lot of us have issues with the NCAA. But lying to an investigator is plain wrong. Had he admitted the truth maybe it would have only been one game he missed.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Does the NCAA own his car too? What if he sells it somebody that "meets the definition of an agent" <-- whatever that is? Is that a worth a whole season suspension?
That's what I don't like. The NCAA is starting to over-legislate. I don't think I like where this is headed.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I have a question for some of the lawyers and others who know the NCAA rule book way better than me...

What if a player was given a credit card (Unsecured) in their own name and allowed to rack up charges for 2-4 years without having to pay off their balance? I know for a fact that some banks do have CC in which you do not have to regularly pay a monthly payment. So a player is a senior gets a credit card in his name and starts spending at will. Does the NCAA have anything they could do or say?

I guess if someone co-signed with a player it would be one thing, but if it was in their name only, I don't see anything that could be done about it.

Any thoughts?

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Red, while I agree, it looks like Green may have lied to NCAA Investigators. i know a lot of us have issues with the NCAA. But lying to an investigator is plain wrong. Had he admitted the truth maybe it would have only been one game he missed.
Dez Bryant lied to the NCAA about knowing Deion Sanders and working out with him, they suspended him for an entire year.

AJ sells his jersey to an agent, lies about it, and get's 4 games?

I think we're not being told something. I'm still not sure we know everything about Bryant's situation.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

That's $1000 of illegal benefits no matter how he got it. The fact he took it knowingly from an agent makes it add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.