AJ Green Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
He sold his jersey for $1000. It was probably worth $100 new. How is it hard to prove he was making money because of his status as a player?
Because it was a game-used autographed Bowl Jersey authenticated by the player himself. That would draw a pretty nice chunk of change.

Here is a Johan Santana Game-Used Jersey for $1000

Game Used Navy Jersey
for $600 No name, not autographed, not from a bowl game.

Autographed Kobe Bryant Game Used Jersey $30,000

Game Used Robert Brooks Jersey $4000

Look around, I promise $1000 for a jersey like the one that was sold is not that outlandish, and in all actuality, is probably on the low end of what he could have gotten for it.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I was talking about the car.

The sale of student-athlete autographs and memorabilia by a player or their family is a violation of NCAA rules.
I know that, but what makes something a piece of memorabilia? If he signs the steering wheel in his car, is it suddenly a piece of memorabilia that's illegal to sell?

The NCAA is getting into some very gray areas. If someone wanted to fight them on this, I'm confident they could win.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
If he signs it, then yes. It's illegal for him to sale (illegal from the NCAA point of view). If he signs it for you, you can do whatever you want. He cannot benefit from his position. Players have been forced to give up columns in the school newspaper because the NCAA has decided they received a "reputational benefit" they would not have had otherwise.
Yet the NCAA can cost them millions and millions of dollars by forcing them to sit out an arbitrary amount of games for something that isn't illegal in the eyes of the law, or any other governing organization in America. This stinks.

BoroBama

1st Team
Jun 12, 2008
I know that, but what makes something a piece of memorabilia? If he signs the steering wheel in his car, is it suddenly a piece of memorabilia that's illegal to sell?

The NCAA is getting into some very gray areas. If someone wanted to fight them on this, I'm confident they could win.
It is a violation of the rule if he sells the steering wheel with his autograph on it. He cannot make money or gain benefits from his name.

RamJamHam

Suspended
Jan 28, 2009
I don't think that would hold up in a court of law. How could anyone prove he was making money based off his status as a player? Compare the price of a jersey sold by him vs. a jersey sold by an independent memorabilia dealer?

I'm no Georgia fan, but I'll side with AJ on this one, at least until we find out more about the situation. I've never liked the NCAA, and this doesn't help my feelings towards them.
Of course it would stand up. Ask yourself why it was a game jersey and not just one of AJ's T-shirts and you'll have your answer. This issue has come up several times before in the context of pictures in charitable calendars.

This is different from the car example that someone brought up earlier because he doesn't need to trade off his amateur status to buy and sell a car. Unless, as someone pointed out, he got paid $100K for a pile of junk.

BoroBama

1st Team
Jun 12, 2008
Yet the NCAA can cost them millions and millions of dollars by forcing them to sit out an arbitrary amount of games for something that isn't illegal in the eyes of the law, or any other governing organization in America. This stinks.
There is a lot about their rules that stink and are not what many of us consider fair. But it is their ball and you have to play by their rules.

Here are a couple more that I do not care for:

• Family of student-athletes (not a recruit but someone already on the team) accepting transportation to and from football games
  • Student-athletes and family members participating in pre-game or post-game meals/tailgaiting activities with fans/boosters

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Pass through. I'm not giving you money, I'm buying some property!
This is exactly what I was thinking. Could be that AJ knew that the agent couldn't flat out give him $1000, but maybe, just maybe, if he sold his jersey, that may be more acceptable, for all of the reason discussed above.

Seems like AJ was trying to dupe the NCAA and subvert the rules by "selling" something that he considered belonged to him.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
You have to be and amateur athlete to play NCAA football. Once he uses his name as a player to make money for himself he loses amateur status.
I don't buy that. He didn't make a profit off the jersey simply because he's an amateur athlete. He made a profit because he owned a prized piece of memorabilia. Let me ask you a question. If Aaron Murray sold an AJ Green jersey, would that be illegal? If not, that's all you need to know about the hypocrisy of the situation.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Of course it would stand up. Ask yourself why it was a game jersey and not just one of AJ's T-shirts and you'll have your answer. This issue has come up several times before in the context of pictures in charitable calendars.

This is different from the car example that someone brought up earlier because he doesn't need to trade off his amateur status to buy and sell a car. Unless, as someone pointed out, he got paid $100K for a pile of junk.
You're arguing the same conclusion, but a different point. You're saying it would be illegal because it's a jersey while other people are saying it would be illegal because he's making a profit off of his status as an amateur athlete.

That's why I say this is a gray area. Everyone's opinion is different. It's a murky situation.

TidePrideGA

All-American
Dec 6, 1999
Athens GA
I don't buy that. He didn't make a profit off the jersey simply because he's an amateur athlete. He made a profit because he owned a prized piece of memorabilia. Let me ask you a question. If Aaron Murray sold an AJ Green jersey, would that be illegal? If not, that's all you need to know about the hypocrisy of the situation.
yeah he did, according to the NCAA he violated amateurism rules and his eligibility.

crimsonboy

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 1, 2008
I think the sentence that says "an individual who meets the NCAA definition of an agent" is a little curious. What exactly is the NCAA definition of an agent? Granted, he should know that selling his jersey for $1000 is probably a rules violation but I'm not so sure he would have known that he sold it to an agent. Would the suspension be less if he sold it to a regular person? What is an agent going to do with an AJ Green Independance Bowl jersey?
Gee, you don't think that perhaps he got caught with evidence of a $1,000 payment from an agent and explained it away as proceeds from the sale of a jersey (and a bowl jersey at that for which there are likely fewer controls)?:eek:

Sheesh, I got some coastline property in Arizona for sale for a few of you here!

BoroBama

1st Team
Jun 12, 2008
You're arguing the same conclusion, but a different point. You're saying it would be illegal because it's a jersey while other people are saying it would be illegal because he's making a profit off of his status as an amateur athlete.

That's why I say this is a gray area. Everyone's opinion is different. It's a murky situation.
It is not a gray area. The rule states a student-athlete cannot sell autographs or memorabilia. He did so he violated the rule.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
This is the craziest thing I've ever read. 99% of Alabama fans agree with the NCAA on a ridiculous ruling. :eek2: I never thought I'd see that, it's a bit disturbing.

If Dareus were suspended 4 games, you all would be up in arms.

Green is suspended 4 games, and you all agree with the NCAA's findings.

Of course you do.

BoroBama

1st Team
Jun 12, 2008
Gee, you don't think that perhaps he got caught with evidence of a $1,000 payment from an agent and explained it away as proceeds from the sale of a jersey (and a bowl jersey at that for which there are likely fewer controls)?:eek:

Sheesh, I got some coastline property in Arizona for sale for a few of you here!
I would hope that would not be his defense since it does not matter who he sold it to. It would still be a rules violation.

TidePrideGA

All-American
Dec 6, 1999
Athens GA
This is the craziest thing I've ever read. 99% of Alabama fans agree with the NCAA on a ridiculous ruling. :eek2: I never thought I'd see that, it's a bit disturbing.

Of course you do.
Its not about agreeing with it Red, its the fact that he did it and he violated the law. The law may stink, but its still the law.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
yeah he did, according to the NCAA he violated amateurism rules and his eligibility.
Not according to me, and trust me, I feel like I make a lot more sense than the NCAA does. ;)

I say he sold it because it's a highly valued and highly sought after piece of merchandise. If he sold another amateur athletes game-used jersey and made a profit off of it, it wouldn't be illegal, but because it was his own, it's illegal? Sorry, not buying that. That's a ridiculous rule that could be struck down if fought hard enough.

I'd love to get Earle's take on this.

BoroBama

1st Team
Jun 12, 2008

Of course you do.
I agree with the ruling because he broke the rule as written. I do not agree with the rule. I believe these young men should be able to make as much money from their sweat as the NCAA and the universities and those who legally sell the autographas and memorabilia

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.