Biggest Rivalry

Ktide2010

Sep 10, 2010
Who do you think is our biggest rival? I feel like it changes every year depending on who is the best team we play- but as far as tradition and history of the rivalry goes- I personally feel like its Tennessee.
What do you think?

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
Right wrong or indifferent, it would be the barners. Thay in their quest for mediocracy have de-railed us in the past and that is unforgivable. TN was Fulmer to me, now he is gone, they slid off of my radar.

paul02085

All-SEC
Sep 12, 2004
Loganville, Ga.
Welcome to Tidefans. And to answer your question its the Barn. We still owe them about 10 beatings in a row.

UT was/is a rival but now that Phatimus is gone i cant build up a good hate for them. (in fact i always kind of liked UT pre Phatimus).

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Right wrong or indifferent, it would be the barners. Thay in their quest for mediocracy have de-railed us in the past and that is unforgivable. TN was Fulmer to me, now he is gone, they slid off of my radar.
Welcome to Tidefans. And to answer your question its the Barn. We still owe them about 10 beatings in a row.

UT was/is a rival but now that Phatimus is gone i cant build up a good hate for them. (in fact i always kind of liked UT pre Phatimus).
Ain't gonna forgive dem Viles fans 'til dey ax fir forgiveness. No, Sir! Since we won the national championship, some of 'em has gotten even worser. Dang 'em. Don't like dem bedsteads and ain't nobody kin make me like 'em. :mad2::mad:

AllBarn ain't much betta.:mad2:

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Who do you think is our biggest rival? I feel like it changes every year depending on who is the best team we play- but as far as tradition and history of the rivalry goes- I personally feel like its Tennessee.
What do you think?
I think you have a point about rivals changing based on who is good at the time. I think Tennessee/Bama is a traditional rivalry that will always be a rivalry.

I also think that rivalries depend on the age group that the discussion is going on in. For us (when we was good :) ) according to the traditionalist it was and always has been Bama. for the younger generation many would consider Georgia at one point and mostly Florida as Tennessee's biggest rival. Now I think it is probably a toss up between Florida and Bama.

I am sure Tennessee has slid down some on Bama's rivalry radar (for many). I would think Auburn or LSU would be the team to beat now days for you all.

From a Tennessee fans perspective I think the Bama and Florida games are almost equally important. That said, for the foreseeable future if we are going to ever have a shot at a MNC we would probably have to beat Bama twice in the same season.

Enough rambling from me :) I think Bama is Tennessee's biggest rival. That is just the way I was brought up, that we wanted to beat Alabama. That and the fact that I had a friend that I grew up with that from was Alabama and a big Bama fan....so it was a big game for me from the time I was 11 or 12 years old.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Glad you asked, for I have thought a lot about this over the past few years. Yes, with me it does change with HC and the times. In no particular order, for me they are:

1. Historical Rival: Tennessee, 3rd Saturday in October, Gen. Neyland, and all that.

2. Who Rules the Roost Rival: Florida, since Spurrier.

3. Circumstance Rival: LSU, because of the Saban connection.

4. Three-hundred and Sixty-five Days Rival. This one is the most important to me, since I have to live with these goobers the whole year round. If I lived in Tennessee, Florida or Louisana, it would be one of those.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
Aubarn, nothing beats seeing their faces after we beat them.All that orange and blue crap goes into hiding for a year. After 6 years of losing and having to see all that crap makes it even sweeter beating them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My attitude is colored by the fact that we'd only been playing AU for nine years, in the modern era, so UT was by far the biggest rival. However, that's gradually shifted, after the legislative mandate to play AU. The division of the SEC into west and east has also boosted the UA/AU rivalry, as it has UT/UF. I've said many times that AU belongs in the east and Vandy belongs in the west. Just look at the map...

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
If it's tradition against tradition, Tennessee is our greatest rival. But if it's against an obnoxious fan base, a recruiting nemesis, and just a team that you absolutely can't bear to lose to.....got to be the barn.

rhYno

Suspended
Nov 23, 2007
Orlando, Florida
www.myspace.com
I hate giving Aubarn any sort of relevant recognition whatsoever. I hardly ever refer to the game as the Iron Bowl, just because of that (it makes them look bigger than they actually are).

This is why I always say Tennessee is our biggest rival, and all Aubarn is, is the most hated team on our schedule.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Tennessee

They were our biggest rival long before Fulmer was captain. It was a classy, yet intense rivalry. I remember hearing from their fans how much they loved coming to Birmingham to play us because of how classy our fans and team are. Yes, heard that on multiple occasions from Tennessee fans. This was back in the 80s of course.

I think that the mess Fulmer got everyone into really tainted the rivalry and turned it into something personal. The rivalry was supposed to be about the guys on the field and not the fans or the coaches. He all but ruined that. I hope that Dooley can right the ship and get our rivalry with UT back to what it used to be.

Raise your hand if you love that beautiful drive up I-59 through the Northeast Alabama hills watching the crimson, orange, and gold leaves gracefully fall...and feeling the crisp bite in the air when you roll down the window...knowing it's the 3rd Saturday in October, and the Crimson Tide is about to play the Volunteers.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I'm going with what Coach Bryant felt: 10RC. That game brought out the biggest sense of satisfaction in beating for him, it seemed. Maybe because we owned the University of Auburn for so many years while he was our coach. However the University of Auburn gets my vote for the most annoying of the rivals.

Our history with UT had some years (prior to Phul Fillmer) where it was rather decent rivalry, relatively speaking. My own history with them goes back to the times of Coach Bowden Wyatt and Coach Majors.

Can't say it's ever been that way (decent) with the University of Auburn.

TreyJackson

Scout Team
Sep 13, 2010
What do you think?
I am somewhat surprised by this question. It is not even up for discussion! Not only are the barners our biggest rival, the iron bowl is widely recognized as one of college footballs biggest rivalries.......

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.