Philosophy reading list

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Original Intentions: On the Making and Ratification of the United States Constitution by M. E. Bradford
A Better Guide Than Reason by M. E. Bradford
The Reactionary Imperative: Essays Literary and Political by M. E. Bradford
The Southern Essays of Richard Weaver, by Richard Weaver
Ideas Have Consequences by Richard Weaver
Backing Richard Weaver and the denouncing of Hegel (what a monster).

Weaver, like Wendell Berry, is a bit unrealistic in the present day, but all the same, a much needed corrective to our current malaise.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Weaver, like Wendell Berry, is a bit unrealistic in the present day, but all the same, a much needed corrective to our current malaise.
I found Ideas Have Consequences to be well-argued. Bradford's Original Intentions and A Better Guide than Reason are even better.
I concur in your recommendation of Oakeshott. He is not as well-known as he should be.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
The everlasting man by GK Chesterton

And what's the deal with all the Nietzsche? That guy is the most depressing writer. He went insane late in his life and spent the last 10 years of his life babbling like a child in a diaper. Why would anyone want to read him?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
And what's the deal with all the Nietzsche? That guy is the most depressing writer. He went insane late in his life and spent the last 10 years of his life babbling like a child in a diaper. Why would anyone want to read him?
The same reason I read Marx and Hobbes on philosophy or Keynes on economics. I've tried to read all the guys that have influenced our world - good or bad. The best way to understand destructive ideas is to go right to the source.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
The same reason I read Marx and Hobbes on philosophy or Keynes on economics. I've tried to read all the guys that have influenced our world - good or bad. The best way to understand destructive ideas is to go right to the source.
That makes sense, I too have read Marx. My best friend has been reading Nietzsche because he says he is "interesting." I found that to be disturbing.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
That makes sense, I too have read Marx. My best friend has been reading Nietzsche because he says he is "interesting." I found that to be disturbing.
I find much of Nietzsche amusing (if one is amused by the rantings of a lunatic. ;) )

Some of his maxims:

Woman learns how to hate to the extent that she unlearns how to charm.

In revenge and in love woman is more barbarous than man.

Even concubinage has been corrupted - by marriage.

Ol' Fred didn't get laid much. ;)

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

I'll third Weaver and throw in the original Agrarians from Vandy in I'll Take My Stand

The Populist Persuasion by Michael Kazin is also a good read.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.