McElroy or McElwain? Someone is to blame...

TideFactor

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2009
First, I would like to start by saying that I really like Greg McElroy...A LOT. I think he's a great kid, an extremely smart kid and the kind of kid that I WANT at the University of Alabama. Before the season, I even told a few friends of mine that I thought Greg was a darkhorse for the Heisman this year. That being said, our passing game hasn't looked good since the Duke game. I don't know if I have seen a more inept passing game since before JPW. We don't look downfield, we don't pass downfield and McElroy holds onto the ball more like a Running Back than a Quarterback. We have the best weapons that we've probably EVER had in ANY Bama offense, yet we don't throw any pass more than 10 yds. Saban's comments heading into the locker room last night at halftime were DEAD ON. I was thinking the exact same thing he said, which means that this either falls on McElwain or McElroy and at this time I'm not sure which, but something needs to change if we want a shot at winning another title.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Other than the fact that last year's team won the championship, why do you think we should win again this year? What has this year's team done to make you think they are championship caliber? This is a different team. Teams usually struggle in transition the year following a championship season, especially if they lose a lot of players as Bama did.

Why does someone have to be "to blame?" Can't it be that this team is struggling against fatigue, injuries, youth, and the natural (albeit misplaced) sense of entitlement that comes from the glow of the program having won the championship last year? Why do we have to start throwing people under the bus? Last time I checked, a win is a win, and that's a good thing.

ingramk

BamaNation Citizen
May 15, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Seems to me Greg has plenty of time to throw so I think for the most part the Oline is doing their job, but they cant hold um off FOREVER. The play calling the last 3 games has just been awful. I think the fault is more on McElwain; I think he has Greg really confussed as well.

Heather

All-SEC
Aug 29, 2010
Dang, what is up with all the downer threads.

Our QB seemed just fine to me until we lost a game. Then all of the sudden he is not good enough.

I just don't get it.:conf2:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am sure the coaches are a long look at the situation. Since this is not their first day on the job, and they haven't found the solution yet, this may be something we just have to learn to live with. IMO if this were an easy fix it would already have been done.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
One thing I don't think we consider...

The way this team is built is now working against us. We're built to out-physical opponents.

So, we've won a national championship and 6 of our conference opponents elect to take a bye before playing us. They get rested up and they know the only way to beat us is to be physical. We're beat up and they come out fired up and playing on the biggest emotional high that they'll play on all year. (Just see South Carolina vs. Kentucky yesterday).

The bye weeks matter. We get ours in two weeks. We've just got to take care of business against Tennessee.

UAstudent2012

Suspended
May 5, 2010
Tuscaloosa, AL
We are to predictable. We are going to run between the tackles, then run a bubble screen, then dump it off to the RB out of the backfield. We won't take shots down the field vertically. Besides and 85 yard play, that a good defense would have stopped our offense was non existent once again. Mac won't throw the ball away and we never run to the outside! It is frustrating to watch, but I'll take a win.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
6 of our conference opponents elect to take a bye before playing us. They get rested up and they know the only way to beat us is to be physical. We're beat up and they come out fired up and playing on the biggest emotional high that they'll play on all year. (Just see South Carolina vs. Kentucky yesterday).
I said before the season that no team could win a NC with our schedule. I don't care what the stats say about bye weeks because I believe what we have is unprecedented, and a failure to comunicate:cool:. 75% of league opponents having a bye week in concessions should be outlawed.

Their trying to kill our coach.

gladIam4UA

1st Team
Feb 2, 2002
I said before the season that no team could win a NC with our schedule. I don't care what the stats say about bye weeks because I believe what we have is unprecedented, and a failure to comunicate:cool:. 75% of league opponents having a bye week in concessions should be outlawed.

Their trying to kill our coach.
I love how are coaches and players aren't using this as an excuse, although no one would fault them if they did. Can't remember if it was here or elsewhere, but someone said playing six opponents in row coming off a bye week is actually kind of dangerous for the Alabama players. Other teams have too much time to prepare and get healthy, so can play more physical than a typical team would be able to.

Heather

All-SEC
Aug 29, 2010
I love how are coaches and players aren't using this as an excuse, although no one would fault them if they did. Can't remember if it was here or elsewhere, but someone said playing six opponents in row coming off a bye week is actually kind of dangerous for the Alabama players. Other teams have too much time to prepare and get healthy, so can play more physical than a typical team would be able to.
I am unsure of how the bye weeks are alloted.

Did CNS choose our bye week day? Or was it preselected by someone else?

GoBama#1

All-SEC
May 4, 2005
Midlothian, Virginia
We are to predictable. We are going to run between the tackles, then run a bubble screen, then dump it off to the RB out of the backfield. We won't take shots down the field vertically. Besides and 85 yard play, that a good defense would have stopped our offense was non existent once again. Mac won't throw the ball away and we never run to the outside! It is frustrating to watch, but I'll take a win.
I agree, but too many people see that as nitpicking, being negative, unrealistic or whatever. With the athletes we have on our team, I am genuinely surprised that we have not attempted to be more dynamic with the offensive play calling. Other teams are onto what we are doing. I trust our coaches will correct this problem.

I am happy and take the win. The defense and special teams bounced back well from last week. Just concerned about the offense.

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
Other than the fact that last year's team won the championship, why do you think we should win again this year? What has this year's team done to make you think they are championship caliber? This is a different team. Teams usually struggle in transition the year following a championship season, especially if they lose a lot of players as Bama did.

Why does someone have to be "to blame?" Can't it be that this team is struggling against fatigue, injuries, youth, and the natural (albeit misplaced) sense of entitlement that comes from the glow of the program having won the championship last year? Why do we have to start throwing people under the bus? Last time I checked, a win is a win, and that's a good thing.
Right on the money Savannah. It's amazing to me that this approach seems to completely escape some folks.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
I'm not trying to blame anyone, just questioning. I tend to watch the QB too much and not the whole field when we are on offense. Are our WRs getting separation? Is Greg being too careful? Is this just an execution problem that can be fixed?

As you can see I have a lot of questions. I know most of you are more knowledgeable than I am so do you have any thoughts, ideas, etc?

Roll Tide!

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I don't see anyone to blame, it won't get you anything but frustration. It will be up to the coaches to see the weakness of the Team and fix it. Some can't be fixed like the size of our DBs when they tackle straight up and get run over, and pushed around. Two weeks off without having to prepare for a ranked team will help and give them a little more time to figure out things the team needs tweaked. :BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.