McElroy or McElwain? Someone is to blame...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm not trying to blame anyone, just questioning. I tend to watch the QB too much and not the whole field when we are on offense. Are our WRs getting separation? Is Greg being too careful? Is this just an execution problem that can be fixed?

As you can see I have a lot of questions. I know most of you are more knowledgeable than I am so do you have any thoughts, ideas, etc?

Roll Tide!
To be successful with downfield passes you have to throw to a spot before the receiver makes his break, which allows him to use his athletic ability to beat the defender, run to the ball and try and make a play.

Greg looks to be waiting for the receiver to break wide open before throwing the ball and by then it's too late.

He did the same thing last year right around this time but corrected it for the big stretch games.
Hopefully he'll do the same thing this season.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Other than the fact that last year's team won the championship, why do you think we should win again this year? What has this year's team done to make you think they are championship caliber? This is a different team. Teams usually struggle in transition the year following a championship season, especially if they lose a lot of players as Bama did.

Why does someone have to be "to blame?" Can't it be that this team is struggling against fatigue, injuries, youth, and the natural (albeit misplaced) sense of entitlement that comes from the glow of the program having won the championship last year? Why do we have to start throwing people under the bus? Last time I checked, a win is a win, and that's a good thing.
Right on the money. The proof is in the pudding.

2001 BCS Champion - Miami (year after: 13-1, lost in National Championship Game.)

2002 BCS Champion - Ohio St. (year after: 11-2. )

2003 BCS Champion - LSU (year after: 9-3)

2004 BCS Champion - USC (year after: 12-1, lost in National Championship game)

2005 BCS Champion - Texas (year after: 10-3)

2006 BCS Champion - Florida (year after: 9-4)

2007 BCS Champion - LSU (year after: 8-5)

2008 BCS Champion - Florida (year after: 13-1)

2009 BCS Champion - Bama (year after: 6-1 thus far)

GoBama#1

All-SEC
May 4, 2005
Midlothian, Virginia
Right on the money. The proof is in the pudding.

2001 BCS Champion - Miami (year after: 13-1, lost in National Championship Game.)

2002 BCS Champion - Ohio St. (year after: 11-2. )

2003 BCS Champion - LSU (year after: 9-3)

2004 BCS Champion - USC (year after: 12-1, lost in National Championship game)

2005 BCS Champion - Texas (year after: 10-3)

2006 BCS Champion - Florida (year after: 9-4)

2007 BCS Champion - LSU (year after: 8-5)

2008 BCS Champion - Florida (year after: 13-1)

2009 BCS Champion - Bama (year after: 6-1 thus far)
Good point. No one has won back to back BCS championships, but some have come close-USCw and Miami. They probably did not have the losses of players like we did this past season.

Just keep the process moving forward, and we will be back there soon enough.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Other teams are onto what we are doing.
I think this is the situation we have now. Every team in the SEC has studied and caught up with what our offense is doing. May be a little late for a change in plans now but next season our coaches need to come up with something different.

With a new QB next season and probably Julio and Mark gone I think the spring will be interesting as to where the direction of the offense will be. For now we just have to play with what we got and execute better. The off week will help against LSU before going on the road and with Auburn and Miss. St at home I think we have a good chance to win them all. But we have just as good a chance to lose 3 more.

TideFactor

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2009
I have been saying this most of the season. Our passing game has been non-existent in many games or at least the 2nd half of many games. We are great at screen passes to our RB's and the throw in the flat to Julio, but that doesn't make for a passing game. Our O-Line has played very well for the most part. 70% of the sacks McElroy has taken were well after he had enough time to throw the ball somewhere or away. We have as much talent as any team in the country, expecting this team to compete for the SEC Title isn't out of line. I'm not jumping on anyone, just calling it like I see it. I guarantee you that McCarron wouldn't be taking that many sacks and he would be throwing the ball deep a lot more. The guy is a gun-slinger... I'm sure he would throw more picks too...

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
The O Line opened up huge holes for Ingram and Richardson last year and those holes just don't seem to be there as much. That being said, with the extra personal closing the holes by the opposition, doesn't that mean one on one down the field being available?

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I am unsure of how the bye weeks are alloted.

Did CNS choose our bye week day? Or was it preselected by someone else?
The conference schedule is done by the SEC and given out to the teams years in advance. The individual teams then have the option to schedule an out of conference opponent or a bye week on weeks without an SEC game. A lot more teams had the opportunity to schedule a bye against us, because they don't have a conference game the week before.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Weird thing last night was the disappearance of Hanks. I know he was in. I saw him blocking a few times. It's just he never got into the action. I thought he was Greg's 1st or 2nd favorite. :conf3:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am unsure of how the bye weeks are alloted.

Did CNS choose our bye week day? Or was it preselected by someone else?
Of the eight SEC teams scheduled to play Alabama in 2010, the final six are set to have idle weeks before the game. That includes South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State and Auburn.

The SEC office puts together the conference part of the schedule and that process begins with big yearly rivalries. Examples: Tennessee and Florida play the third Saturday in September; Tennessee and Alabama play the third or fourth Saturday in October; Georgia and Florida meet in Jacksonville on either the last Saturday in October or the first in November; Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina have rivalry games that must be played on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

There are a number of factors that go into setting a schedule such as a team should never have to play more than two straight conference games on the road. But the SEC did not have a principle that limited the number of games a team will play after that opponent had an open date. It will in the future and the number will be three.

The SEC will most likely be going to a computer program, which I find ridiculous that they still use excel and a geek starting from scratch.

It was a freak thing and nothing really could be done other than the Georgia State game being moved to Thursday to give the team an extended rest for the next big game.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Other than the fact that last year's team won the championship, why do you think we should win again this year? What has this year's team done to make you think they are championship caliber? This is a different team. Teams usually struggle in transition the year following a championship season, especially if they lose a lot of players as Bama did.

Why does someone have to be "to blame?" Can't it be that this team is struggling against fatigue, injuries, youth, and the natural (albeit misplaced) sense of entitlement that comes from the glow of the program having won the championship last year? Why do we have to start throwing people under the bus? Last time I checked, a win is a win, and that's a good thing.
Not to be snarky, but the offensive issues aren't just "fatigue, youth," etc. One new guy on the line and he's been a gamer. Something is dreadfully wrong with our offense, and as fans, we're entitled to throw around some ideas about who or what might be to blame. The playcalling has been bad in many respects, and Greg has enough time in the pocket to read War and Peace but can't seem to find a receiver before he dumps the ball off to the running back. If these problems don't get fixed soon, we're going to be a 9-3 team playing Texas in the Cotton Bowl. Happy New Year.

Heather

All-SEC
Aug 29, 2010
Of the eight SEC teams scheduled to play Alabama in 2010, the final six are set to have idle weeks before the game. That includes South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State and Auburn.

The SEC office puts together the conference part of the schedule and that process begins with big yearly rivalries. Examples: Tennessee and Florida play the third Saturday in September; Tennessee and Alabama play the third or fourth Saturday in October; Georgia and Florida meet in Jacksonville on either the last Saturday in October or the first in November; Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina have rivalry games that must be played on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

There are a number of factors that go into setting a schedule such as a team should never have to play more than two straight conference games on the road. But the SEC did not have a principle that limited the number of games a team will play after that opponent had an open date. It will in the future and the number will be three.

The SEC will most likely be going to a computer program, which I find ridiculous that they still use excel and a geek starting from scratch.

It was a freak thing and nothing really could be done other than the Georgia State game being moved to Thursday to give the team an extended rest for the next big game.
Hmmmm so that is how Boise st got their schedule too?

So once they play a conference two times in a row, after that it doesn't matter?

Thanks for taking the time to explain.:)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Not to be snarky, but the offensive issues aren't just "fatigue, youth," etc. One new guy on the line and he's been a gamer. Something is dreadfully wrong with our offense, and as fans, we're entitled to throw around some ideas about who or what might be to blame. The playcalling has been bad in many respects, and Greg has enough time in the pocket to read War and Peace but can't seem to find a receiver before he dumps the ball off to the running back. If these problems don't get fixed soon, we're going to be a 9-3 team playing Texas in the Cotton Bowl. Happy New Year.
2 new guys. Warmack & Fluker...replacing Mike Johnson & Drew Davis respectively

Heather

All-SEC
Aug 29, 2010
The conference schedule is done by the SEC and given out to the teams years in advance. The individual teams then have the option to schedule an out of conference opponent or a bye week on weeks without an SEC game. A lot more teams had the opportunity to schedule a bye against us, because they don't have a conference game the week before.
Thanks RJ!:biggrin:

chuxlee

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2008

Greg looks to be waiting for the receiver to break wide open before throwing the ball and by then it's too late.

Bingo, we have a winner.

Last edited:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
To be successful with downfield passes you have to throw to a spot before the receiver makes his break, which allows him to use his athletic ability to beat the defender, run to the ball and try and make a play.

He did the same thing last year right around this time but corrected it for the big stretch games.
Hopefully he'll do the same thing this season.
Very accurate assessment... and it's gotten him picked off or close to it many times in the past few weeks. Our OL is doing enough to allow a QB to throw the ball out, but GM is not doing it for whatever reason right now.

WildTusk

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 26, 2009
I sometimes wonder if the offense is giving off a "Tell" as they say in poker. It seems like the last 2 games the defense is running to the play almost clairavoyantly.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
It is only one loss in two years folks for McElroy and Coach Mac. Bama is beat up and playing their hearts out.

The Alabama home winning streak at BDS is now at 18 straight victories, which is tied for 3rd highest all time BDS winning streak. Bama improved to 34-1 under CNS when leading at the half. Come on now, lets all relax and let the process continue.

Roll Tide!

Heather

All-SEC
Aug 29, 2010
It is only one loss in two years folks for McElroy and Coach Mac. Bama is beat up and playing their hearts out.

The Alabama home winning streak at BDS is now at 18 straight victories, which is tied for 3rd highest all time BDS winning streak. Bama improved to 34-1 under CNS when leading at the half. Come on now, lets all relax and let the process continue.

Roll Tide!
I wish we had reputation points on this board! I would sure give you some.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
The offense is out of sync no doubt, and we do need to improve. We have become too predictable as others have said, and our opponents are selling out to stop the run. We have to at some point start getting some down-field passing routes to open up the running game, and I am sure the coaches know that. Saban even said as much during halftime, although we really didn't do it in the second half either. Hopefully it will be a focus this week, and they can find a way to get the offense going again...RTR!

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
So the oline isnt an option for blame?

By and large the OL is doing a great job pass blocking, but run blocking is another matter. I realize defenses are loading up to stop the run, but a lot of times they're not and yet Mark and Trent are still getting met behind the LOS far too often. :conf2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.