News Article: Tide could face four idle-rested SEC opponents in 2011

BrettStah

Suspended
Nov 1, 2007
This from Tidesports:
Tide could face four idle-rested SEC opponents in 2011

Tide could face four idle-rested SEC opponents in 2011 | TideSports.com

Is Roy Kramer still pulling the strings somewhere. Looks like we'll get more relief in 2012. C'mon SEC Office. Let's level the dang playing field please.
Alabama has a bye week before the LSU game (just like this year), so that game shouldn't really count towards this gripe, huh? Also, I thought that the statistics have shown that teams coming off a bye week in the SEC don't have an advantage?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Alabama has a bye week before the LSU game (just like this year), so that game shouldn't really count towards this gripe, huh?
Well, no, it would just be one game that both teams would share an open date before playing each other.
Alabama has a bye week before the LSU game (just like this year), so that game shouldn't really count towards this gripe, huh? Also, I thought that the statistics have shown that teams coming off a bye week in the SEC don't have an advantage?
I would say that argument cuts both ways.
If coming off an open date affords no advantage, then opponents would be happy to have their open date some other week than the week before they play Alabama. Yet schools seek to have their open dates that week.
Maybe if that request was denied, the other schools would tell the SEC, "Thanks for saving us from the dreaded open week before Alabama."
I doubt that schools will tell the SEC that, however.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This from Tidesports:

Is Roy Kramer still pulling the strings somewhere. Looks like we'll get more relief in 2012. C'mon SEC Office. Let's level the dang playing field please.
I could have sworn that the CBS crew said that the SEC had pledged that no team would face more than three opponents coming off open dates starting next year. Am I misremembering this?

RkyMtnTide

3rd Team
Jul 3, 2007
Tuscaloosa, United States
I think what's missing here is when do we have a bye week and play an opponent that did not have a bye week? Playing LSU when we both have a bye week is fine, but we both have bye weeks... Teams this year get the advantage of playing us 5 times coming off a bye when we play an opponent. We do not have the opportunity of playing an SEC team off of our bye that had a game the prior weekend.

Anyone out there know when was the last time we played an SEC opponent when we had a bye week and the other team did not?

I went back through 2006 and 1 time we played a team off of our bye week that had played a team prior and that was LSU in 2009 and they played Tulane. If anyone can go back further than that please let us know

Last edited:

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Also, I thought that the statistics have shown that teams coming off a bye week in the SEC don't have an advantage?
That is exactly what CNS told the players so they wouldn't go into the games feeling at a disadvantage. What he didn't tell the players were that those numbers from over the years included some very bad Vandy and MSU's teams as well. No amount of bye weeks in the world could have helped them win the next game. So whoever played them coming off the bye did not have to suffer at the hands of a well rested well coached up team. So the statistics, as with 90% of statistics don't always tell the truth.

No team had ever beaten 3 ranked opponents in a row and he didn't share that stat with them either. He found a way to make the stats he presented them and the media positive.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I went back through 2006 and 1 time we played a team off of our bye week that had played a team prior and that was LSU in 2009 and they played Tulane. If anyone can go back further than that please let us know
I think that game was rescheduled. So the original schedule may have had them off the week prior.

rangerman

Suspended
Sep 14, 2010
I could have sworn that the CBS crew said that the SEC had pledged that no team would face more than three opponents coming off open dates starting next year. Am I misremembering this?
apparently we were all misconceived on that notion. I also remember hearing that rule would be in effect next year guess thats what i get for thinking!!

RkyMtnTide

3rd Team
Jul 3, 2007
Tuscaloosa, United States
I did some quick research just back to 2006 (Shula's last year)

In 2006
1 SEC team had a bye before us - TN (we played Ole Miss while they were on bye)

In 2007
3 SEC teams (Ark, Miss St, Aub) had a bye before us when we played an opponent that prior week and us and LSU had a bye @ the same time before we played them.

In 2008
2 SEC teams (Ark, Miss St) had a bye before us when we played an opponent that prior week and Ole Miss and Auburn both had byes @ the same time we did before playing them.

In 2009
3 SEC teams (TN, Miss ST, Aub) had a bye before us when we played an opponent that prior week.

In 2010
5 SEC teams (S. Car, Ole Miss, TN, Miss St, Aub) have a bye before us when we play an opponent prior to and LSU and us have both have a buy week before we play.

Now, what happened between 2006 and 2007 that dramatically changed the buy week proportions....... Hmmmmmmm.........

Oh yeah, we hired CNS!

I better go, I think I see black helicopters out the window and a strange guy with dark shades keeps walking by the office :eek2:

Last edited:

crimsonboy

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 1, 2008
As noted by Winston Churchill: "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." The so called statistics to which you refer merely point to the win-loss record. There is no accounting for the fact that teams typically schedule to have off-weeks before their biggest opponents, not before patsies.

Therfore, while the win-loss column may be about 50 - 50, this actually supports the proposition that off-weeks help. Otherwise, the win-loss record would be skewed greatly in favor of the team which didn't have an off week (as it is presumably the better team).:eek:

BrettStah

Suspended
Nov 1, 2007
As noted by Winston Churchill: "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." The so called statistics to which you refer merely point to the win-loss record. There is no accounting for the fact that teams typically schedule to have off-weeks before their biggest opponents, not before patsies.

Therfore, while the win-loss column may be about 50 - 50, this actually supports the proposition that off-weeks help. Otherwise, the win-loss record would be skewed greatly in favor of the team which didn't have an off week (as it is presumably the better team).:eek:
That's a good point. I think a different British Prime Minister is generally credited with that quote, however.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Seems to me the SEC is still scheduling like ol Roy did.......I thought he retired......some things never change.
Bingo. I am not too optomistic on what our schedule will be compared to the other 11 teams in the SEC come the 10 year cycle in 2012. I'd like to see some of the top SEC teams play the card we were dealt the past few seasons.

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
"There are lies, damn lies and statistics..."
Mark Twain popularized the phrase in America but Benjamin Disraeli is attributed as its original author.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
This from Tidesports:

From the top of page 2 in your link: "SEC Associate Commissioner Mark Womack has been tasked with creating the 10-year cycle of schedules for league schools that begins in 2012,..."

There have been two previous ten year bundles of schedules released. 1992-2001 and 2002-2011. Both by Roy Kramer. The last of which was in 2001 just prior to his retirement in 2002. Roy Kramer made out the 2011 schedule at least ten years ago.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
As I see it, because of the situation with the East teams, the SEC is always going to have, on average, six open dates before Bama games. They will continue to give ut one of the byes, except for the two years they play MSU. You can bank on that. They will have to tell the other five schools that it is "first come , first served" on the other two byes. The other three schools will have to schedule OOC games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.