Since we are playing for next year...bring on McCarron!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Our next 2 games shouldn't give G-Mac any problems. But if he struggles against Auburn, then A.J. McCarron should come in.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
We're still playing for this year, the last I checked. Alabama has a chance to win ten games for third consecutive season. That's something that hasn't been accomplished since 1977-1980. We can also finish in the top five again. Not to mention positioning for a better bowl game. Possibly even a BCS bowl.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Now the question to me is:

A) Do people really think McElroy is the crux of our offensive problems?

OR

B) Do people really care so little about what these young men do for the team and university that they'll throw them under the bus when our hopes for a season don't seem as if they'll come true?

Simply put, McElroy was hardly the problem Saturday. He had a pretty pass on a rope which Dial whiffed on, tipped up, and landed right in an LSU guy's hands. The sack fumble was almost unavoidable. We struggled with A-gap protection all night and it bit us in the tail right at a crucial moment in the game. You can't put that on McElroy when he wasn't even out of his drop back before Nevis was on him. He had a few deep throws that were dropped, a few big plays brought back due to holds, etc.

He played a gritty game considering protection was inconsistent at best all night.

And if you are willing to throwaway a season right now to get McCarron some snaps when we're still technically alive for a conference title...then are you really a Bama fan?!

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
the last I checked. Alabama has a chance to win ten games for third consecutive season. That's something that hasn't been accomplished since 1977-1980.
It wasn't but a few years ago and that was one of the only big things we had as a program to hang our hat on. Let's not forget that records such as these are part of the tradition that sustained is through the dark time. So let's not act as if they aren't important now, because you never know when a rainy day might come around again. In this crazy world of instant gratification we sometimes forget that a foundation isn't built overnight and those ten win seasons are a big part of the foundation this proud program is built on.
Posted via Mobile Device

TideFactor

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2009
I appreciate all the responses and opinions. You wonder how rumors get started, then you look at these posts and you understand how...

I NEVER said I wanted McElroy BENCHED. I said I would like to see a 50/50 split or at least 60/40 the rest of the way. I think this makes since.

Also, do we have some things to play for this year? Sure. But last time I checked, at Alabama, we play for CHAMPIONSHIPS! Not a runner up finish in the SEC West. Yes, I know if Auburn loses to UGA and us and if LSU loses to Ark, we go to the SECCG....that's great and all. We can discuss that IF UGA beats AU. Until then, we are playing for PRIDE, which is great, but we need to think about developing our QB for next year as well so that we don't find ourselves in this position again.

To the people that are pointing out McElroy's stats... Yes, they are pretty good, but he checks down WAAAAAAAAYYYY too much. Of course he's going to be completing 69% of his passes when they are 5-7 yd passes! Like I said in my earlier post, an 8.5 ypc avg for Julio is NOT acceptable.

Finally, GMAC's job was on the line in the UT game. I wasn't going to say this and I don't care if you believe me or not, but I know this to be true. So, if the coaching staff was ready to BENCH McElroy, is it really that big of a stretch to think we should AT LEAST start playing McCarron more? I don't think so and I won't be surprised if you see this happen.

Here's to hoping we find a way to get into the SECCG and into a BCS Bowl game and finish 12-2...hopefully at Boise State's humiliating expense.
ROLL TIDE

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I don't know how most people feel, but overall I have been pretty happy with our D this year. Yes, if our True Freshman CB Millner hadn't gotten burned on the 3rd and 13 with 2:45 to go in the 4th, the Tide would probably still be in the hunt for the title today, but I don't think we should have ever been in that situation.
The BIG problem with our team all season has been the Offense, which was supposed to be the best we'd ever seen at Bama and has been far from it... McElroy played solid yesterday and I don't fault him for the INT or the Fumble, but he didn't make many plays or do anything downfield (other than the drop by Maze). We have needed a "playmaker" at QB this season and haven't had it. An 8.5 ypc avg for Julio on 10 catches is unacceptable. It should be more like 15. I put that on McElroy. The fact that we weren't able to put in 14 pts in the 1st half Saturday, which probably would have "iced" the game", is the reason we lost. It's all about the situation we put our team and Defense in... If LSU was down 14-3 at halftime, they have a whole different attitude in the 2nd half and we probably win 24-9. I put that on the offense and with that goes blame goes the QB.
So, with nothing to play for other than Pride and next season (Which should be a "Title-Contending" season), I think it's time to plug in McCarron at a 50% split. I came into this season expecting us to take 1 loss and figured that we would still be able to get to the Title Game if we did that...we did and we were. Taking a 2nd loss to a clearly inferior team means this team has underachieved in my mind. I think we need to focus on the future and try to make sure our team is ready to live up to their potential next year. That means McCarron is taking the reigns and anything we can do to prepare him for that, the better as far as I'm concerned.
Roll Tide!
I understand your frustration. It's a tough situation, because GMAC has done more good than bad. However, his decisions to take sacks instead of throw the ball in the stands probably cost us at least one of the two losses.

How about a compromise here. I'd be all for letting McCarron play the entire Ga State game. There's no reason to risk injury to any offensive starter that we may need against Auburn. Because we all know, we're gonna have to beat them in a shoot out unless the Cam thing gets him tossed out before the iron bowl. But I'd play most of the defense against Ga State. They all need the reps.

rangerman

Suspended
Sep 14, 2010
I thought you were done rangerman??

I am glad to see that you decided not to bail. But I would like for you to send me some advil :p
some people swayed me to stay hey you cant say i didnt punctuate that one i just didnt capitalize everything!lol

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean, we're 10th in the nation in passing efficiency and 36th in the nation in passing offense with McElroy doing most of the heavy lifting in regards to the forward pass. This is all while playing behind statistically one of the worst pass protecting offensive lines in D-1A football. Some sacks have been on McElroy, the vast majority have not.

I just don't see how starting McCarron or splitting snaps is a plan to improve upon what we've already achieved as a passing offense. McElroy is a big time rhythm guy and I think we'd just end up with an out of sync GMac and a young guy trying to find his way while getting pulled randomly.

The real way things can get better is if the offensive line commits to finding an identity, MI and TR magically get healthy, and the defense stops giving up too many explosive plays.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
and if the argument for playing McCarron more is about "next year"...then I'd love to see a person say that plan to Nick Saban.

oh to be a fly on the wall...maybe a media guy will do it for us. haha

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
If you want to "play for next year", then go and be a Tennessee, UGA, Auburn, Florida, USC, or Vandy fan.

Ridiculous statement. It's your right to an opinion. But, ridiculous in mine.

This is the University of Alabama.

MidWest Falcon

Scout Team
Nov 5, 2007
Rose Hill, Ks
Re: McCarron Era

I'm happy to the point I'm not going to jump on the impulsive bandwagon and say "Bring in the 2nd string quarterback".

What honestly makes you think A.J. would have done or do any better at this point? Are you watching the entire field every passing down to see every potential passing route, or are you just seeing what's presented on television? Has it ever occurred to you that our wide-outs might not be getting a lot of separation? Or that maybe our offensive line has been getting their rear ends handed to them at certain points, including the trip to Baton Rouge.

Here are McElroy's numbers this year:

158 of 228 with 13 TD's and 4 interceptions for just over 2,000 yards. He has a 69% completion percentage and a 158.4 quarterback efficiency rating.

Please tell me what's wrong with those? Do you want him to chuck it down field every time and see the interception number rise substantially?
Sorry I thought the mods deleted my post. Just found this now. I'm a lot calmer now than I was when I made the initial post but I'm just so frustrated. Greg holds on to the ball way to long and sometimes has WR's wide open! Granted maybe the defensive secondary is making it hard on him but I'm sick of watching him hold the ball forever and get sacked (granted that's better than throwing a dumb pick). I'm sick of the check down passes almost every time.

And the answer to your question is YES. I want to see him throw the ball down the field more.

1. That will keep the defense honest
2. Maize & Julio nuff said

I'm just sick of this game management stuff. I don't want a game manager I want a QB that isn't afraid to wing it around a little bit.

With all of that being said I know the answer is not going to AJ this year. But when he's in the game it just seems like he's looking for the big play. I will never forget what McElroy has done for this program but I'm not going to sit back and defend him when I think he needs to step it up.

Roll Tide

Last edited:

MidWest Falcon

Scout Team
Nov 5, 2007
Rose Hill, Ks
Re: McCarron Era

Go back and read the thread.

What do you want to see McElroy do differently? Were you saying this last year? We lose by 3 points to a top defense on the road no less, and you want a different QB? Are you kidding me?

I ask again...What do you want to see McElroy do differently?

Perhaps put super glue on the receivers hands? Place a sniper on the field to take out a D-lineman that pancakes our Center? No, I've got one for you. How about pay a QB to come to Bama (caveat: must have a criminal history that includes a felony charge for theft of personal property and at least 13 traffic tickets that dresses like a pink tooth fairy for Halloween) that is at least 6'6'' and can scramble.

Are you really telling us that you are suffering from "Newton Envy"?
It is a new disorder that has been going around lately.
LOL, Newton envy!

No I want to see our offense AND Greg go for some big plays. Quit playing so vanilla. I want Greg to take some shots down field. I want us to quit being so predictable. I don't want a game manager at QB I want a guy that is willing to take a chance on a big play. If it was up to Greg he would hit the open 3yd check down instead of throwing deep to Maize or Julio with one guy on them.

Last edited:

DoubleDeuce

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 16, 2009
alabaster
Yeah!! Hell, let's kick Greg off the team entirely!

He only put the SEC Championship game on his shoulders, engineered a game winning drive against Auburn, and was the quarterback on the first team to bring us a National Championship in 17 years...

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
Wow! Just read through most of this thread & I have to say I don't think even the Bunker is overreacting as much as some of you. No one is trying to throw Greg under the bus & no one is suggesting he be benched. Personally, I think the OP has a pretty good point...start working on next year as much as possible...now. Besides, I think it would give opposing OCs more to prep for & certainly would help ease AJ's transition into an eventual starting role.

No one in his/her right mind would EVER try to discredit Greg's importance nor his contributions to this program....but Greg won't be here next year, & AJ will. JMO.

gmoney

1st Team
Apr 12, 2009
decatur,al
Think it would be a good thing for AJ to get a series every game, next year i think if PS is the backup he needs a series in every game, this would help if there is an injury and would also help the team grow from the experience.Before anybody gets up tight the Bear did this every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.