Do the greeks sit in that section in the upper south endzone that was empty tonight?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I noticed it on TV....even made a comment to the G/F about it.

I think those tickets should be kept at will-call. If the students don't get them by the end of the first quarter, sell them to fans who would appreciate them.
Good idea...I was thinking last night that they should cut off student entry about 5 minutes into the first quarter, assess the level of occupancy and then sell any openings at face value on a first-come-first-served basis...the University could make a little extra money, and students would be incented to show up.
Posted via Mobile Device

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Those seats in the south uppers are overflow for students once the lowers fill. Greeks reserved seating is still in the lowers. Folks, I hate to break it to you, but this is going to happen with a stadium seating capacity of 101K. The students complained about needing more seating so they got it, but if they can't motivate themselves to show up, fill their allotted seats and stay for the whole game, the university will take that allotment away and make those Tide Pride seats.

In the meantime, the university needs to make the network airing the game put their camera elsewhere.
I completely agree. It was terrible to see on television.

BAMALEEBO

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2006
Deatsville, Alabama, United States
They don't want to show up for MSU, but they will cry and complain if they can't get FL tickets.
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought this, too. I bet when the barn comes next week they will ALL want to be there. Wonder what thursdays game will look like? If the students had a little more difficulty getting those tickets, it may lead to more appreciation to get them. Then maybe they wouldn't be so inclined to "skip" the game for any other activity.

I can't imagine that a party would be more important than watching the Tide play, that's just me. What's wrong with a party before, then afterwards.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
It will probably be worse for the Ga St game. After hearing the Miss St mini band yesterday in the upper deck, imagine how awesome the MDB would sound if the were positioned higher in BDS.
Posted via Mobile Device
There was a band in the upper deck? :)

Seriously, I couldn't hear them at all...I sit in the lower level, east stands, 30 yard line.
Posted via Mobile Device

bamablog

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 23, 2007
They should hold the student ticket holders to a different standard than the other ticket holders. Everything is handed to them. They do not even support the team. If people are not in their seats by the Tradition montage, they should be locked out and their tickets sold to people standing in line outside at a will call window. Anyone caught selling their tickets should have to forfeit the right to buy future tickets. Right?

pvilleguru

1st Team
Feb 2, 2007
i graduated from UA this past may. i guarantee that if the entire student section was in the lower bowl, it would have been filled. having any students (easily the loudest group in the stadium) in the upper deck is ridiculous. thanks to my dad, i get to sit in the west upper deck every game. there were many empty seats all around me. i don't think students were responsible for those.

HCT

Aug 31, 2010
They should hold the student ticket holders to a different standard than the other ticket holders. Everything is handed to them. They do not even support the team. If people are not in their seats by the Tradition montage, they should be locked out and their tickets sold to people standing in line outside at a will call window. Anyone caught selling their tickets should have to forfeit the right to buy future tickets. Right?
I wish the cost to tuition was just handed to me :rolleyes:

I had a ticket to the MSU game- however I am inundated with school work as the term nears conclusion- I donated my ticket during the week. If students don't use their ticket they get penalized. When I do go to games I get in line 2-3 hours before the gates open so I can get a lower bowl seat. I have no interest in sitting in the upper deck and make sure I don't by coming early-

jdhogg

Scout Team
Sep 16, 2009
HOMEWOOD
IMO, the problem lies with the SGA - places like TxA&M, Tennessee, USCe and others have programs in place that track who comes and who doesn't and rewards those that do and penalizes those that don't. But part of that is removing automatic access to tickets to greeks and removing the concept of block seating - which won't happen unless the University forces it.

It's an absolute disgrace.
greeks do not get automatic access to tickets. they have to wait in the online waiting room just like the rest of the student body

herri026

2nd Team
Apr 17, 2008
Birmingham
Not sure if this has been said, but once a student doesn't show up for a game three times (and they know because they swipe the student ID when they come in), he/she can't buy tickets the next year.

Also, I saw quite a lot of non-student Bama fans come into where I work on the Strip as soon as halftime started. I was disappointed in this as well; we complain when we lose two tough games on the road, then we leave at halftime during a good game we're playing pretty well in.

Makes me think that it's inevitable when you're having success; fairweather fans always show up.

bnhonest

All-SEC
May 28, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Al, USA
My niece is in a sorority at UA right now, and I am proud to say I was in a fraternity when I was there. From what she told me, the fraternities do have block seating same as they always did, in the lower bowl. But once the lower bowl starts to fill up, there is not lot the fraternities can do to stop people from sitting in their section. And if the lower bowl fills up, the head up the ramp for overflow in the upper deck. I was at the game last night and I went to the ole miss game. At the ole miss game, they made an announcment about an hour before gametime that the lower bowl was filled to capacity and any students not already inside would be directed to the upper deck. Last nigth, I heard no such announcement.

I guess my point is this...you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you... isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Last night was not the first time the upper deck student section was not full. It wasn't full for SJSU, Penn State or Ole Miss.

I spoke with a senior person in the athletic department about this at the Ole Miss game and expressed my frustration. She told me that the administration was aware of it and wanted to do something but Dr Witt mandated that they allocate more tickets to students and the SGA refused to stop the block seating OR institute any per-game ticket pulling (as was suggested).

So you have a combination problem... the student population has grown so they wanted to give more tickets to the students. But the SGA steadfastly refuses to change the ticket allocation policies so that those that don't go to the games lose their tickets so those that WANT to go to the game can.

IMO, the problem lies with the SGA - places like TxA&M, Tennessee, USCe and others have programs in place that track who comes and who doesn't and rewards those that do and penalizes those that don't. But part of that is removing automatic access to tickets to greeks and removing the concept of block seating - which won't happen unless the University forces it.

BTW - if you think this problem is new, do a search... there was an article in the CW that in 2008 approximately 4% of IRON BOWL tickets went unused. To remind you, we were undefeated, ranked #1 and about to beat Auburn for the first time - EVER - in Tuscaloosa and nearly 900 students had tickets but couldn't make it from within 5 miles of campus to the stadium.

It's an absolute disgrace.
I agree with you 100%. It seems that we have had this problem for a long time and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I've lived in Atlanta for 7 years now and make the drive down every single weekend and the students should do the same if they have tickets. You don't ever see LSU and Florida having this problem.

disneybama

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
...There is no reason the greeks should be assigned block seating in the lower bowl. None.
I agree and have often wondered how this has been allowed to endure. Most schools have done away with this. Students should all be treated equally based on number of years attended, IMO.

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
Re: Empty Student Section

Totally off base. All sections lose people when games are in hand. Half the students can't even get tickets. They should be getting more if anything.
That section was half empty since kickoff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.