Well tide fans, enjoy owning the gators for years to come!

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
I just don't think the high strung mentallity of Will Muschamp will go over as a Head Coach, much less at Florida. That kind of stuff works as a DC but as a head coach, no way...

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
Bamafan...I dont think UF or UA are training gounds for new coaches. My knowledge is fine, not extensive, but good. He usually has a decent D unit, but he is an absolute unknown on the other side of the ball. Did you see our O last year? Oh yeah, you beat the crap out of it!!! Its in shambles...and we hire a DC to fix it!!!!! Dont need to be a football expert to scratch your head about that!
I think florida's problems were more about the OC than the head coach. The Oc was VERY unimpressive. You could tell the difference between fl with mullen and then with Steve.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I just don't think the high strung mentallity of Will Muschamp will go over as a Head Coach, much less at Florida. That kind of stuff works as a DC but as a head coach, no way...
I"ve never liked his antics on the sideline. Maybe it's left over resentment of seeing him act too giddy when he was at the Barn. So, I agree that this may work against him. One thing is for certain. We will see!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I don't see Florida becoming a Second Class football team anytime soon. Florida's hire may be a good one.
A coach can only be good if he has good players and they will follow his coaching. Florida is a recruiting hotbed and UF will get more than their share of great talent.

I'm sure that CWM will surround himself with good coaches and field a good team.
FWIW: Remember that CWM was 'The Coach in Waiting' at Texas. He didn't get that job based on his good looks. :) The problem CWM ran into at Texas was an old coach who didn't step aside.
CWM was left to wait, and wait, and wait...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
All I can say is, I'm glad Bama is not in the East. Who did WM work for at whoville? (sarcastic...I can't find my smilies to post the eye-roller)

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I find it ironic that Muschamp is hiring Applewhite as OC whose mentor (Gregg Davis) was just fired for running the same offense...

I think we have seen time and again that in order for the spread to work consistently you have to have a mature millenial (once in a lifetime) player or that offense is dead. I cant believe so many coaches are willing to hang their coaching careers on their ability to recruit that freak of nature every two years. Its obvious that CNS is not even that confident in his recruiting ability or he would be doing it.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I guess we are not a premier program that hires big time coaches, but a training program for AC's. I really want to throw up right now. This guys D didnt do much to hold your O down last year, and now he gets to face it and many like it weekend after weekend next year! Guys, enjoy owning the SEC for awhile...the gators will help warm your team up. :mad2:
wow, im pretty sure your team got a good coach who can recruit and knows D better than most. I tend to think its a great hire.

Fishhead

All-SEC
Dec 8, 2006
Purvis, MS
Ok. Just who is this "Will Muschamp"?? JK. Anyway, good luck to the mighty Gators. I'm sure they will be fine.

And on another matter, maybe it's time for LSU fans to stop acting like they know so much more about CNS than us. After four years we have a fairly good idea about the guy. No offense, Amigo.
Assuming you're talking about me, but I'm not the "amigo" guy. Anyway, I never insinuated any such thing. And considering you should have a fairly good idea about the guy by now, then you should know what I'm saying.

Fishhead

All-SEC
Dec 8, 2006
Purvis, MS
wow, im pretty sure your team got a good coach who can recruit and knows D better than most. I tend to think its a great hire.
I think the point, at least MY point, is this. UF is a program that should be able to hand pick whomever they want (within reason) to pilot the ship. No, they aren't going to poach someone from an already excellent program at the top of the pile, but they can get anyone from the many mid tier programs that have a standout head coach. By mid tier programs that are excelling, I mean teams that find their way in BCS bowls on a consistent basis, even though their status says they shouldn't. Patterson, Peterson, Harbaugh, Petrino, those kind of guys...and there's a bunch of them. Not saying Muschamp WON'T work out. He may well. But to say it's not a reach, well...it is. Muschamp has potential.

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS
I guess we are not a premier program that hires big time coaches, but a training program for AC's. I really want to throw up right now. This guys D didnt do much to hold your O down last year, and now he gets to face it and many like it weekend after weekend next year! Guys, enjoy owning the SEC for awhile...the gators will help warm your team up. :mad2:
I have to say, I was a bit surprised by the hire. I thought Jeremy Foley wanted a seasoned head coach. That's why I thought he would be tempted with dan Mullen, but ultimately pass on him.

Personally, I think Dan Mullen is a better coach than Will Muschamp and Mullen would have been a perfect fit for Florida, being he was an assistant there for years, and could recruit Florida well.

Also interesting is your hated rival, Florida St., has a head coach who coached with Muschamp under Saban when they were at LSU. My understanding is that Muchamp and Jimbo Fisher own a condo or some other type of property in Floria together.

It'll be interesting in the state of Florida for the next few years.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I understand your disappointment, and frankly agree with others am surprised that Mullen was apparently passed over. But I think you're overreacting a bit--Muschamp may not have HC exp but he's coached under some of the best in the business and I think is ready for the next level. I too would use the Bob Stoops analogy.

Truth be told, with the talent pool you guys have, you OR I, Gatorfan, could coach at UF and win 10 ball games a year. Seriously. You're biggest job down there seems to be, not getting players, but keeping other schools from stealing them away.

Last edited:

RamJamHam

Suspended
Jan 28, 2009
I think we have seen time and again that in order for the spread to work consistently you have to have a mature millenial (once in a lifetime) player or that offense is dead. I cant believe so many coaches are willing to hang their coaching careers on their ability to recruit that freak of nature every two years. Its obvious that CNS is not even that confident in his recruiting ability or he would be doing it.
This. We have seen what happened to FL without Tebow (before and after) and what happened to Texas without McCoy, and we are about to see what happens to AU without Newton. Any offense that takes a generational player to be highly successful is just not worth the risk in my book.

I am a little surprised that Foley did not hire a proven head coach, especially given how the last one turned out (Zook). But I will reserve judgment until at least a couple seasons have passed. Muschamp may be the second coming for all we know.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Well, as for the title of this thread, it was two years ago when the barn hired the cheeze that I thought we would own them for years to come. You see how that's worked out. Point is, it's the SEC, ain't nobody owning nobody!

EastLAGator

Sep 26, 2010
Despite the evidence presented on this thread, I can assure you that there are knowledgeable Gator fans and that most of them are excited about the hire. I was hoping for this last year the first time Meyer resigned. Give me the young guy with the fire in his belly that can coach his ... off. The proof is ever in the pudding with this kind of transition, but I am very confident that the percentages are with us.

By the way, I saw a news article this morning that said the new meaning of S-E-C is Saban's Ex Coaches. This conference keeps getting more and more brutal.

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta
CWM is a very good hire. Remember: Defense wins championships. Our own D was young this year and it caused us problems. Charlie Strong leaving caused the Gators Problems.
True but it does not always work out in favor of the program when a defensive coordinator turns head coach. One need only look at the hiring of Mike Dubose to see that not all great defensive coordinators turn out to be great head coaches. If they did, all head coaches would be former defensive coordinators.

wood78221

1st Team
Jul 27, 2010
Pineville, LA via Florence, AL
Really??? Ok, how would you be feeling right now if ur AD hired a guy who

A: Failed pretty bad at stopping a SEC offense last year
B: Has never been a HC
C: Was a AU grad
1. Answer to A: An SEC Offense that was loaded all over the field with multiple weapons, and a heisman winner. Obviously the defense went undefeated against a conference full of "Air Raid" type teams, that produce alot of points.

2. Answer to B: You have to start somewhere.

3. Answer to C: He went to GA

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I actually think this hire makes a lot of sense. I can understand the bewilderment and anger from UF fans - if Nick Saban resigned tomorrow and we hired a career defensive coordinator coming off a losing season to replace him, you'd have to peel most of the folks on this board from the floor. It looks bad at face value.

But the more I consider it, the more I think it will work very effectively. This may surprise some folks, but Muschamp actually favors a very aggressive offensive philosophy. Look at the candidates he's supposedly trying to lure to Gainesville to run his offense. Target number one is Dana Holgorsen, the Air Raid disciple and former Mike Leach crew member who has worked wonders with the Oklahoma State offense this season. The same guy who called the shots at Houston a couple of years ago when Case Keenum was throwing the ball 70 times a game. Muschamp wants to spread it out and throw the ball all over the field, and I think UF's current personnel is perfectly tailored for this. They'll be more aggressive offensively than any team Meyer ever fielded. Even if they don't get Holgorsen (he's rumored to be the top choice for the HC opening at Pitt), Muschamp will find someone with a similar pedigree and mindset.

Defensively, there are not too many folks in the game that are better than Muschamp. Florida will have an aggressive, physical, top-notch defense as long as Muschamp is running the show.

He'll also recruit relentlessly. They've hired a guy who can probably match Nick Saban and Urban Meyer for recruiting intensity. And Florida largely sells itself - who's the last Florida coach that didn't recruit boatloads of talent?

Again, I understand the reservations because the guy has never been a head coach in any capacity and nobody really knows what he's capable of in those regards. But he's got as much upside as anyone out there. This hire reminds me quite a bit of when Oklahoma hired Bob Stoops in 1999. Essentially the same pedigree, same offensive and defensive philosophy, same recruiting prowess, etc. This could still end badly, but I'd say the odds favor this move paying out big dividends for UF.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.