Link: Ohio State Tired of Losing to SEC

mjstide

1st Team
Nov 20, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Pryor is like Cam Newton if Newton weren't talented. Just a big dummy. At least he's not as cocky as Cam.
I may get flamed for this but I actually think that if Pryor and Cam switched places and Pryor was running Malzhan's system while Cam was running Tressle's I think the two teams would be in the exact same places they are now....

GMacFan

Suspended
Oct 3, 2009
Arkansas actually isn't really your typical SEC team. They don't have a stifling defense and can't just run it down your throat. They will still beat Ohio State though.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Arkansas actually isn't really your typical SEC team. They don't have a stifling defense and can't just run it down your throat. They will still beat Ohio State though.
Actually, Arkansas devoted themselves to developing a run game after their loss to us and it's shown. It helped that Knile Davis came on. He carried 30 (!!!) times for 152 yards against LSU. IMO, Arky is a much more balanced and much more dangerous team since our game...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Going purely off memory the SEC has had a stellar record against the Big Ten for at least a 20yrs or so. Let see I remember Alabama beating...

Illinois (CPB last game)
Michigan (1-2 seems like Curry and CMD lost to them but CGS won)
Ohio State (won SB in '78, did we win in '86 with humphrey? know we won '95)
Minnesota (Lost in Music City Bowl)
Penn State (this year)

6-3 is what I am coming up with... fixing to be 7-3 with a win over MSU.

I am not counting Penn State from years back because they werent members of the conference at that time.

Jim Delany wishes everyday he could have keep his comments to himself. Since 2007 the SEC has gained more ground since that stupid Open Letter to the SEC was released. How does he like that head to head competition now. The SEC has won the last 4 National Titles. In the last 11 the SEC has WON 6 NC and the Big10 just 1. Jim Delany does not know numbers the way the SEC does. The SEC now has three Heisman Winners since 2007 - Tebow 2007, Ingram 2009, and Newton 2010. ;)

BCS National Championship Results

#1-1998 January 4, 1999 1 Tennessee 23 2 Florida St. 16 Fiesta Bowl
1999 January 4, 2000 1 Florida St. 46 2 Virginia Tech 29 Sugar Bowl
2000 January 3, 2001 1 Oklahoma 13 3 Florida St. 2 Orange Bowl
2001 January 3, 2002 1 Miami 37 4 Nebraska 14 Rose Bowl
2002 January 3, 2003 2 Ohio State 31 1 Miami 24 Fiesta Bowl
#2-2003 January 4, 2004 2 LSU 21 3 Oklahoma 14 Sugar Bowl
2004 January 4, 2005 1 USC 55 2 Oklahoma 19 Orange Bowl
2005 January 4, 2006 2 Texas 41 1 USC 38 Rose Bowl
#3-2006 January 8, 2007 2 Florida 41 1 Ohio State 14 BCS National Championship
#4-2007 January 7, 2008 2 LSU 38 1 Ohio State 24 BCS National Championship
#5-2008 January 8, 2009 1 Florida 24 2 Oklahoma 14 BCS National Championship
#6-2009 January 7, 2010 1 Alabama 37 2 Texas 21 BCS National Championship

Greetings from the Big Ten Conference,

With the conclusion of another tremendous college football season and the recent national signing day, there has been a lot written and said about the Big Ten's recruiting efforts across the country, including a recent article in the Chicago Sun-Times entitled "Big Ten needs to find new talent pool - fast" (see full article here). In response to these commentaries, it seems premature for us to lower our admission standards or give up on the tremendous talent pool in the Midwest. No doubt national programs must recruit nationally wherever the talented students and athletes live. Hats off to Florida and the SEC -- they had a great year. We believe that both the Big Ten and the SEC have been and remain two of the greatest college football conferences in the country. But you may want to keep in mind the following as you review the various recruiting services, listen to talking heads and reflect the blogosphere out there as they compare these two fine conferences. I think most people would agree that head-to-head competition is an effective method to compare relative strengths between competitive entities:

•The Big Ten was 2-1 vs. the SEC in this past season's bowl games.
•The Big Ten is 8-6 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last five years
•The Big Ten is 13-13 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last decade.
•Over the last nine years of Bowl Championship Series games, the Big Ten leads all conferences with 15 berths while ranking second with eight victories. The SEC tops all leagues with nine wins and ranks second to the Big Ten with 13 appearances.
•In the last 10 years the Big Ten has produced two national champions compared to three for the SEC.
•In the last 15 years the Big Ten has produced five Heisman Trophy winners, more than any other conference. Over that same time span, the SEC has claimed one Heisman.
•While the SEC ranked first among various recruiting rankings, the Big Ten ranked second or third nationally with four to five programs rated among the top 25 recruiting classes.
•The Big Ten has a history of developing players - the most recent Heisman Trophy winner, Troy Smith, was one of the last players to receive a scholarship from Ohio State.
•The Big Ten has slightly less than 300 players in the NFL while the SEC has slightly more than 300; Sixteen former Big Ten players earned Super Bowl rings with the Indianapolis Colts earlier this month.
I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

Let's see if the five- and 10-year trend lines hold or whether the recruiting services and talking heads are seeing a new day. We are quite proud of our history and tradition and remain optimistic about the future of Big Ten football.

Thanks.

Jim Delany

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I think Terrell Pryor is dumber than Cam Newton:

Last year, when asked why he had Mike Vick written on his eye black Pryor responded:

"Not everybody’s the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever."

And actually, I think Terrelle Pryor is cockier than Cam Newton (if you can believe it.):

When asked about the recent attention given to Cam Newton, Pryor responded:

"I'll put it like this: You put me in any of their offenses — any of them — and I'd dominate," the junior told the newspaper. "I'd dominate the nation. What those guys do, that's what they're supposed to do in their offense."

"They carry the ball 30 times a game. I carry the ball maybe five times. There are times I didn't even run the ball in a game. You put me in any of their offenses, where I can run the ball and have a choice to throw, I would dominate college football."

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Last year, when asked why he had Mike Vick written on his eye black Pryor responded:

"Not everybody’s the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever."

And actually, I think Terrelle Pryor is cockier than Cam Newton (if you can believe it.):

"I'll put it like this: You put me in any of their offenses — any of them — and I'd dominate," the junior told the newspaper. "I'd dominate the nation. What those guys do, that's what they're supposed to do in their offense."

"They carry the ball 30 times a game. I carry the ball maybe five times. There are times I didn't even run the ball in a game. You put me in any of their offenses, where I can run the ball and have a choice to throw, I would dominate college football."
Well yeah, but Cam would be saying things like this if they didn't have him muzzled. BTW, I am starting to read and post on something besides Cam threads -- maybe there is hope for me yet. Well maybe not, I just mentioned Cam.

ghickok234

All-SEC
Oct 31, 2006
Vinemont, AL

You chose poorly...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Terrell Pryor went to a poor school for his abilities. Ohio State has not played to his strengths, nor has he developed the skill set necessary to stand out as a quality QB in their system. It has been a waste for each of them. I also think Cam will score a point or two higher on the wonderlick test than Pryor.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
I may get flamed for this but I actually think that if Pryor and Cam switched places and Pryor was running Malzhan's system while Cam was running Tressle's I think the two teams would be in the exact same places they are now....
I definitely wouldn't disagree with you, although I would give the passing advantage to sCam.

GMacFan

Suspended
Oct 3, 2009
I think Newton is just a special player. He's head and shoulders above Pryor. He reflexes and reaction time are unmatched, his ability to make people miss, his passing abilities, his leadership (I know, I hate to say it) all make Pryor look straight-up foolish. Pryor's not even a poor man's Cam Newton. If it was true that Pryor could come into that offense and dominate like Cam then Malzhan should be getting paid 3 million a year. If the dude is that good that all he needs is a dual threat QB and bam, unstoppable offense, then damn. But I don't think that's the case...Cam is just a special player.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
'OSU tired of losing to SEC'... in other news water is wet, the sun is a big ball of fire, & winning beats losing, back to you Tidefans.

BamasTide

1st Team
Mar 30, 2009
Decatur, AL
Terrell Pryor went to a poor school for his abilities. Ohio State has not played to his strengths, nor has he developed the skill set necessary to stand out as a quality QB in their system. It has been a waste for each of them. I also think Cam will score a point or two higher on the wonderlick test than Pryor.
I agree with this as long as the test is taken in a classroom with close neighbors!
:BigA:RTR!!:BigA:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't know if Pryor would have made all of the plays that Newton made this season, but I do believe Newton is in the perfect offense to showcase his skills and that he wouldn't look as good in other offenses. Many like to say that Malzhan's offense only looks good because of Newton, but I think they both benefit from each other.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.